Author Topic: MAC Tools RBRT Bits  (Read 3277 times)

Offline muddy

MAC Tools RBRT Bits
« on: June 29, 2020, 08:50:56 PM »
I don't have a Mac dealer. However I still follow their flyers just in case. I also follow this YouTuber.

This looks like a good design, I'm really tempted to get a set.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline DeadNutz

Re: MAC Tools RBRT Bits
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 09:46:54 PM »
Thanks for posting that Tim. That is the biggest advancement in hex or allen fasteners that I have ever seen. I have to go to MAC and check them out.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 09:55:07 PM »
Sounds alot like WERA and what they call Hex Plus allen wrenches and bits. Same idea - putting the turning stress at different points on the fasteners to reduce stripping.

https://www.wheelfanatyk.com/store/wera-hex-plus-allen-wrenches/

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 12:18:06 PM »
Looks interesting for sure.

George, thanks for the link to the Wera's, certainly along the same concept but Wera did it in 97 :))

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 01:47:04 PM »
Ah, come on! These bits take all the “fun” out of dealing with rounded fasteners. The hours of enjoyment we get from trying to find, or fab a substitute bit that will finally grip that old cap screw - LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 02:45:35 PM »
certainly along the same concept but Wera did it in 97 :))

IIRC Facom did something similar to Wera back in the '90's too. Neither make/made much, if any, difference IME. These MACs look like they might actually work.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 02:53:01 PM »
Heck, just slobber some valve lapping compound onto the bit your using and pound it in with a hammer. Will pop that sucker right out!  :lol_hitting:

You're welcome, Phil. I first discovered those Hex Plus bits some years ago when I was looking for a better way to remove stuck bicycle allen bolts. But I couldn't get ahold of anyone on the phone to get some info and order them, and now my bike repair work is basically nothing.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 02:58:19 PM by bonneyman »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 03:43:08 PM »
We quite often smack allen bolts with a punch and hammer prior to trying to unloosen.  Impact driver also

George, thanks for the reminder on the valve lapping compound.  I had heard that before but never tried it

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 06:15:54 PM »
We quite often smack allen bolts with a punch and hammer prior to trying to unloosen.  Impact driver also

George, thanks for the reminder on the valve lapping compound.  I had heard that before but never tried it

Well Phil - in the spirit of full disclosure - I haven't used it either. I found and bought a little tub of the stuff after hearing the advice, but have yet to actually used it. Maybe just the act of buying it has scared all my fasteners and they've come off without additional assistance! :93:

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 07:41:15 PM »
As someone who had to deal with socket head cap screws multiple times a day I would have liked the new MAC ones. We went through a lot of allen wrenches as we used to use cheater bars on them on the punch press tooling. Last thing you want is a punch, die or other component coming loose and causing an expensive crash. After running hot rolled steel the mill scale would fill the screw heads so you had to get that out before loosening anything. I should have saved some of those wrenches up to 3/8" that I twisted up into works of art.

Offline walrus

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 05:31:45 PM »
I have 3/4 aluminum plugs in electrical fittings that are 3/8 allen drive. As you can imagine aluminum rounds out easily. I'm going to order 3/8 RBRT just to try.