Author Topic: how many pairs of channellocks does a man really need?  (Read 12784 times)

Offline Jamesyarbrough

how many pairs of channellocks does a man really need?
« on: February 13, 2020, 08:02:48 PM »
being an hvac/plumbing tech I use channellocks daily. and I always snatch them up when I see them at yard sales or just good deals at stores.  the other day im changing a water heater and my helper has 5 pairs of channellocks strung about the customers garage from my tool bag. the homeowner mentioned that he liked them and could tell I must really like them too. then the helper mentioned something about it. I never really realized how many I had because they are in several places. I have some in my plumbing bag, my hvac bag, the tool box in my work truck, the tool box in my personal truck and several in my home tool box. I counted them and came to 20.  10 sets are at work and yet I still feel the need to buy them when I see a 3 piece set on sale at lowes or homedepot.
oh 21. I forgot about the wifes car tool kit.

it's hard not to support one of the last american tool companies that sells decent quality, affordable, usa made tools. 

Offline ken w.

Re: how many pairs of channellocks does a man really need?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 08:17:49 PM »
I have 2-3 pairs of every size Channellock made except the largest Big Azz. Only one of those.  I do have 1 overflowing bucket and a half one filled with USA made Vise Grips in every size and style made. Just can't stop buying them.

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 08:32:35 PM »
I could use a bucket like that! I have 3 pairs of usa vise grips. I hold them close

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 08:35:09 PM »
I bought 2 pairs of the newer GL channellocks. 10 and 12 I believe. I've been using them at work lately. they are pretty handy but I still find myself reaching for the 430s.  next I think I'm gonna get so.e of those v jaw. they have a 3 peace on amazon for $40  free shipping

Offline muddy

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 09:03:04 PM »
I don't use them a whole lot so I basically have 2 sets

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 09:04:56 PM »
The main reason I liked the older Channellocks was they had blue handles. made it fast and easy to identify them in a bucket of tools. Always tried picking tools with different colored handles just to save from having to dig through things to find a tool.

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 09:09:34 PM »
they still have the light blue handles.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 09:11:11 PM »
Back in my petrochem days we carried two pair of channelocks and a small valve wrench. You could damn near dismantle the whole unit with those three tools. :dance:

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 09:13:44 PM »
I have plenty of the different Channellock sizes and styles that I use. My favorites are the 2 pair of Big Azzes I have and use often for holding pipe and they work great for pulling weeds out of the landscaping rocks.

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 06:06:58 PM »
All of them.
Next question?

Offline ken w.

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 07:50:56 PM »
Deadnutz - who big do you grow weeds down by you that you need a Big Azz to pull them ??  :a102:

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 08:01:42 PM »
Deadnutz - who big do you grow weeds down by you that you need a Big Azz to pull them ??  :a102:

Maybe it's "Day of the Triffids".  :))

Offline john k

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 11:55:46 PM »
Got a full set. Including the 15 inch.  Probably 3 12 inchers total, counting some old ones made before the plastic grips.   I started with Diamalloy pliers, but most had walked away over the past 35 years.  Since they were absorbed by Channelock in the early 90s, decided the time to acquire another set of the green handles was  now.  Got 5 different sizes,  just today paid $3 for a pristine 12 inch.   Am thinking blue and green look ok in the plier drawer.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 08:42:45 AM »

We have some bushes in the landscaping around the house that attract a ton of bees when in bloom. They then drop a ton of seeds which the quail love. By the time the sprouting seed gets above the rocks enough to grab, it already has a long tap root. In this high desert environment of the sagebrush ocean plants tend to send down long tap roots to ensure water.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2020, 07:32:09 PM »
I've currently got about 15 pairs of Channellock pliers/ dykes...ect and that's not even close to being enough.
Always lookin' to learn