Author Topic: A man walks into Harbor Freight on a wet and rainy evening...  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
A man walks into Harbor Freight on a wet and rainy evening...
« on: November 07, 2019, 08:56:27 PM »
Stopped at Horror Frights tonight (what my wife calls it) to pick up a free flashlight and use a 20% off coupon when there it was in front of me.  The HF Icon tool wall bank: box, hutch, side cabinet and over head storage.  Basically, this is modeled off the Snap On KRL 722.  About 56" wide and 24" deep.  Very nice setup.  No lock and roll, but a little resistance when you open and close the drawers to keep them shut.  Very good quality on the box, had the stainless top and each drawer had stainless trim on the door lip.  Two things I thought of, 1) Comparable quality to Snap On and 2) also made me feel the regular US General boxes were pretty cheap quality though I know they're a great bang for the buck.

I've never wanted a US General box. I would want one of these IF the price was right.  However the tool box alone is listed at $4,000.  Without a discount or a program to make payments, etc, how many of these will they sell?

I do have a KRL 722 with a stainless top.  I'd like to get a hutch for it and may see if I could use an Icon one.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 08:58:37 PM by Lookin4_67GalaxieConv »
boop/bop/beep

• Ran when parked
Re: A man walks into Harbor Freight on a wet and rainy evening...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 09:12:50 PM »
Some of the pricing...
boop/bop/beep

Offline Heiny57

MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 06:17:15 AM »
I was thinking of snagging one of these for an Air BnB income source. I can park the renters on the side of the garage and charge by the square foot. I'd have to pipe in water, and rent a porta potty though.

Whadayathink?

Offline highland512

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 07:19:37 AM »
If I was a 20 something young tech looking for a tool box this would not be the route I go. Why would you??? A 30 second search on craigslist or facebook market placed showed me many examples of snap on KRL and matco 4s boxes priced at half this. I feel that a $4,000 chest is a bridge to far for HF, time will tell though.

• Ran when parked
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 10:07:07 AM »
If I was a 20 something young tech looking for a tool box this would not be the route I go. Why would you??? A 30 second search on craigslist or facebook market placed showed me many examples of snap on KRL and matco 4s boxes priced at half this. I feel that a $4,000 chest is a bridge to far for HF, time will tell though.

I agree.  Without much searching, you can find a used Snap On KRL 722 around here for under two grand in good shape.  I got mine for a grand with the stainless top.

According to some on Channel 3, there is a way to make payments and they do offer a 20% off coupon on the boxes.  That will help, but who knows how much?
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 11:31:55 AM »
Let's face it -- HF is very popular in the DIY community, and the products are getting increasingly accepted in the professional ranks as well. My prediction is that these large ICON tool boxes and cabinets will at first find a lot of interest in the the DIY community. I'm not talking "tool polisher" types (although they are also included), but rather serious DIY folks that have a lot of tools and always wanted the "BIG" professional setup to consolidate and also showcase their collections.

For these folks the comparable SO, MAC, MATCO, Cornwell offerings were out of the question, and although the cheaper offerings were adequate, they lacked in function, style and utility. This line represents a compromise -- you get the look and feel, but at a more reasonable price.

Online gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 12:11:34 PM »
Not being 28-30" deep is a major mark against them. That dimension alone separates the men from the boys in the roll cab game IMHO.

• Ran when parked
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 12:55:14 PM »
Let's face it -- HF is very popular in the DIY community, and the products are getting increasingly accepted in the professional ranks as well. My prediction is that these large ICON tool boxes and cabinets will at first find a lot of interest in the the DIY community. I'm not talking "tool polisher" types (although they are also included), but rather serious DIY folks that have a lot of tools and always wanted the "BIG" professional setup to consolidate and also showcase their collections.

For these folks the comparable SO, MAC, MATCO, Cornwell offerings were out of the question, and although the cheaper offerings were adequate, they lacked in function, style and utility. This line represents a compromise -- you get the look and feel, but at a more reasonable price.

I'm not so sure, GF.  It feels like the price range is well below retail tool truck prices but well above used tool truck box prices.  I think they'll do well in areas where there's not much of a secondary market for used truck boxes, but maybe not so well other places.

Regardless, I was very impressed with the quality.
boop/bop/beep

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 01:45:18 PM »
Great point Loookin4 about location.  In metro areas and the burbs, used boxes are plentiful and while the asking price may be high, deals can be found with a little diligence.  Travel to the boonies, like where SK is and there are no used boxes for sale.   

One thing HF has going for them is some folks want new and a specific color or set up.  This might appeal to a young tech who can't afford a truck box