Author Topic: Anybody got Hungarian roots? Looking for a good goulash recipe  (Read 2769 times)

Offline bonneyman

Anybody got Hungarian roots? Looking for a good goulash recipe
« on: November 07, 2019, 05:30:10 PM »
Just like the title says. The weather's gettin cold so I'm willing to try something new.

Though this one with an American cowboy twist sounds yummy and easy enough for my pan burning skills.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 05:32:37 PM by bonneyman »

Offline jabberwoki

Re: Anybody got Hungarian roots? Looking for a good goulash recipe
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 06:39:06 PM »
Mmmm last time I made that I jagged it and boy it were tasty. Plenty of #home made bone/beef stock and the real Hungarian paprika . Brown your meat in butter add  fresh chopped garlic at the end of the browning process so it gets a nice golden color but do not let it burn. Add your stock and good scratch reduced tomatoes , paprika cook till tender covered in the oven  at 350 , about 3/4 in remove the lid add your spuds so they don't get too mushy and the juice will reduce as well.
Or substitute spuds with potato noodles.
Call me when you done I`ll bring a beaut bottle of red and some toasty real French style bread dripping in butter.

# absolutely necessary no salty store bought stuff
Do not over do the amount of tomatoes they are only there for body. The main flavor to be thinking of is beef and  paprika.
I was thinking of a different way to approach this. Do it like a pot roast with a big chunk of chuck falling apart as you serve it. Should be spectacular
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 09:03:16 PM by jabberwoki »
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 10:09:42 PM »
Man, that does sound good!

Offline highland512

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 07:25:41 AM »
I have followed the direction from Kent Rollins on several dishes. Good stuff for sure, thats why I watch everyone of his videos when they come out. He has a recipe for what he calls sparkling potatoes, easy to make and real crowd pleaser  :-*

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 08:10:25 PM »
my grandma's goulash was the best! she learned to cook from her grandmother. of course, very few recipes were written down. I sure miss her!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 11:34:23 AM »
my grandma's goulash was the best! she learned to cook from her grandmother. of course, very few recipes were written down. I sure miss her!

Oh man, that sounds like a recipe to use! Grandma from grandma!  8)

Too bad there's no documentation.

I learned alot from my dad, too bad I was too young and too stupid to learn from my grandfather when I had the chance.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 11:47:30 AM »
That's the problem - grandmas never wrote the good recipes down because quite often they used non standard measurements that only they (and maybe close family members) could interpret and understand. In my own case, I have several recipes from my great grandmas days (early 1900s), but the measurements are vague, and although we've tried to make them, they never turn out as good as the original.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 03:08:26 PM »
That's the problem - grandmas never wrote the good recipes down because quite often they used non standard measurements that only they (and maybe close family members) could interpret and understand. In my own case, I have several recipes from my great grandmas days (early 1900s), but the measurements are vague, and although we've tried to make them, they never turn out as good as the original.

Sounds about right.
My wife's grandfather was a book binder, from around the Depression era. My mother-in-law gave me his book of formulas and recipes for how to make the various glues and adhesives that he used. But it's written in such fancy script - and many ingredients are unfamiliar - I can't really make them out.

But I can tell he used egg albumin alot!  :-\

Offline ken w.

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 05:58:24 PM »
When I make goulash , I mix mild Italian sausage with beef. I think it adds a better flavor.

i