Author Topic: Need tractor advice  (Read 17882 times)

Offline m_fumich

Re: Need tractor advice
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2019, 07:23:31 PM »
Even used a shovel? :))

Isn’t it obvious I’m too lazy for that? I’ll mow 3 acres on a riding mower but I have no motivation to do the mowing that requires a push mower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2019, 08:36:58 PM »
All I'll say is cheap equipment usually = big repair jobs/bills. There is NOTHING cheap about equipment larger than lawn tractors. Auction prices will tempt you, but remember it's rare for somebody to send a perfectly good machine away to sale for no reason.

The other thing to watch out for is parts availability. There are numerous older tractors, both domestic and foreign, out there that are now comprised of unobtanium. With a PhD in cross referencing and fabrication, you can keep them going, but it won't be a task for the faint of heart.

Best bang for your buck in the heavy equipment world will be an old track loader. I'd only buy a CAT strictly because of the extensive parts support. A 955H or K can move some serious dirt for relatively small capital outlay. A smaller 933 would be good machine as well.  A direct drive machine can most likely be had in operating condition for nearly scrap price vs more for a powershift due to ease of operation. There is more than a couple sentences to be said about evaluating the condition of one prior to purchase. If you base a purchase decision on grouser height alone, you're most likely going to be in for an expensive time doing repair work.

A skip loader like DN has is also a good choice for moving material, but it will most likely lack a PTO and standard 3pt.

To do any serious work in a pond, you either need a dragline/long stick excavator or to dewater and dry the bottom enough to get across it. A soft pond floor will swallow a piece of equipment in a matter of seconds. If the area is anything but bone dry, it's not wise to run anything on it unless you have a bigger piece of equipment on standby to pull the first piece out.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2019, 09:32:41 PM »
Anything with tracks would be strictly for moving dirt and that’s the thing I have the least need for although it’s still a need. A 955H would be overkill for widening my pond out to 50’ for its entire 150’ length. My biggest disadvantage is that I don’t know jack squat about tractors and other heavy equipment so I wouldn’t know the difference between a good tractor and a problem on 4 wheels.

30 years ago I worked at a place that had a tractor we used on a daily basis. As I recall, it was a Ford 4000. However, looking at the info on those models makes me wonder. While I don’t recall the tractor being that old, it was that size and the headlights were in the hood instead of side mounted. It had a bucket they had built an extension on and they had a concrete counter weight on the 3 pt hitch. I think that’s the size tractor I need for my most frequent needs.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2019, 10:48:07 PM »
I do have a PTO and standard 3 point on it Greyson. It is not strictly a loader as I use the Gannon box scraper with hydraulics on the ripper teeth and tilt on the box. Works great for cutting drainage ditches.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2019, 11:18:06 PM »
I do have a PTO and standard 3 point on it Greyson. It is not strictly a loader as I use the Gannon box scraper with hydraulics on the ripper teeth and tilt on the box. Works great for cutting drainage ditches.

That's a nice setup. I was thinking more about the newer Case/Deere machines. A skip loader really is as handy as a shirt pocket.

Greyson

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2019, 07:47:03 AM »
No one has mentioned soil/dirt/rock type in relation to size of equipment.  Here in the Ozarks of Missouri the soil is clay and rock.  Anything less than 50 hp is worthless for any serious work.  Where I lived in Florida for many years my 23 hp JD 4 wheel drive with bucket would do about anything.  But, that was in sand.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2019, 08:10:06 AM »
No one has mentioned soil/dirt/rock type in relation to size of equipment.  Here in the Ozarks of Missouri the soil is clay and rock.  Anything less than 50 hp is worthless for any serious work.  Where I lived in Florida for many years my 23 hp JD 4 wheel drive with bucket would do about anything.  But, that was in sand.

In the Memphis area, rocks are imported. We have great soil for farming. It’s easy to dig in. Just the right mix of sand, clay, and silt. Bedrock is 400-900’ down and the water table is quite high. Most private wells are 150’ or so and we have some of the best tap water. We don’t have to use filters or add water softeners or anything like that.

Offline highland512

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2019, 09:06:00 AM »
I really think in the long run your going to be better off hiring this out, you stated yourself you dont know jack about equipment and its not hard to dig yourself into a corner (or a very deep and wet hole). Lots of guys who operate for a living own a machine or two and do work on the side, if your not pressed for time and give them the option to perform the work on evenings and weekends you can get work done for a much cheaper price. 

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2019, 06:22:47 PM »
Normally I stay out of your threads for many reasons one being I think you are either a troll or, well, worse. But enough is enough. You ask silly endless questions and then either argue with the responses or shift the conditions or intended use. For instance you made 10 posts taking the tractor choices one way and then in post #32 - the 11th post you made in the thread finally get around to mentioning the Ford 4000 was on your mind. Something which was completely out of left field and something completely different than how you opened and responded in the thread. Not to mention how what you wanted it to do kept changing.

It is obvious what you say you want to do is completely over your head but it doesn't matter because I believe you will no more get a tractor and actually do anything with it than you do any of the other projects you post about. I can not recall a single project from the old site or here you ever posted a finished project but I recall some, like the freeze plugs in the PT Cruiser and the brakes on your sons car where you started but could not finish.

I have also never seen you actually thank anyone for the advise they give or to graciously accept it usually the response is why it won't work and mostly come across like you are angry you didn't get the response you wanted.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline muddy

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2019, 06:36:52 PM »
I really miss the popcorn smiley
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 06:38:30 PM by muddy »

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2019, 06:49:32 PM »
Here ya go Tim
If it aint broke----fix it till it is-----there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2019, 09:18:51 AM »
JAFE, Matt clearly approaches analyzing and solving problems in a different way than you do.  The world would be a boring place if everyone was an engineer.

Let's help Matt figure out what a decent used mid size utility tractor to run his existing 5 foot brush cutter will cost.  A good TLB is outside of his budget.

Other people look to these threads for advice as well.  Their budgets may be higher.  I found SK's explanation of Excavator vs Backhoe to be very helpful.  I plan to purchase a utility tractor this summer for some of the same chores that Matt is facing.

The Ford 8n does not have enough horsepower to run a 5 foot brush cutter through heavy brush or tall grass.  It's OK for cutting a lawn as long as it doesn't get too long.  But that defeats the whole purpose of a brush cutter.  If you are just cutting lawns, there are better solutions than a Ford 8n.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2019, 10:05:39 AM »
After SK’s explanation about backhoes vs excavators, I’m certain I don’t need a backhoe and I’m sure excavators are out of my price range. So what I need is what I think you guys are calling a skid loader; tractor with a bucket, PTO, and 3 pt hitch.

Offline muddy

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2019, 10:17:22 AM »
This is a skid steer or skid loader. They are alot heavier then they look an will get buried in a pond bed in no time.v

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2019, 10:20:48 AM »
Skip = Dumpster
Skid = Pallet