Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 687204 times)

Offline Rural53

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1995 on: March 04, 2021, 09:08:13 PM »
Most people that needed to evacuate did. The warnings have been canceled and people are returning home. There was no decent waves but there were effects on the coast, rivers and estuaries dropped level, weird currents and some small surges were seen. There hasn't been much video captured of surges, the one on this website seems to be the only one doing the rounds.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/surreal-first-images-appear-show-tsunami-waves-reaching-tokomaru-bay 

« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 09:19:07 PM by Rural53 »

Offline john k

« Reply #1996 on: March 04, 2021, 10:55:50 PM »
Spent most of the day in the city.  Stopped at a tiny junk shop in a neighborhood that I was never in before.  There was a gasoline Whizzer bike, odd tools and lots  that  didnt do anythingfor me.  An AC Delco spark plug cleaner did go home with me though.  Basically a sand blaster,  size of a 4 gallon bucket.   Wish it had the tester, but no.  Another shop yielded a Poulan chain saw with case.  Same model as one I have.  3 chains, 1 new, made it a good deal at $28.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1997 on: March 04, 2021, 11:04:00 PM »
Glad to hear that you are fine Rural. You going to be busy checking bridges and other infrastructure?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1998 on: March 05, 2021, 03:17:11 PM »
Sounds like you dodged the bullet this time thankfully :bravo_2:

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1999 on: March 05, 2021, 04:43:09 PM »
Glad to hear that you are fine Rural. You going to be busy checking bridges and other infrastructure?

No infrastructure checks needed. Apart from the first couple of big ones in the early hours of the morning, most of they were barely felt. The biggest wave was about a foot high. There has been no reports of any damage to houses or infrastructure.  I slept through the big ones and only felt one during the day.yeaterday. A few of my friends in Whakatane, 70km closer to the epicentre, reported getting woken up by the initial big ones. We are still getting M3 to M4 quakes in the zone 30km off East Cape. There is a plate boundary out there that is still moving apparently. The boffins are saying we might get some more big ones with the associated tsunami risk.

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #2000 on: March 05, 2021, 05:42:31 PM »
Went hamburger marys in toledo with some friend they wanted to do a early birthday celebration so treated me knowing im broke. Feeling pretty good had a few mixed drinks and did a shot with each of the drag queens man those ladies were awesome and know how to have fun and the apps and hamburgers are amazing

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2001 on: March 05, 2021, 07:24:11 PM »
Filled the firewood racks full in the garage and house as we may have rain/snow come in tonight and several days next week. Have dry wood now that will last 3-4 weeks. The wind shredded the heavy Costco tarp that was over the wood and it is way too windy now to try and get a tarp over the pile.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2002 on: March 06, 2021, 07:57:46 AM »
Replaced the rear tire on the Cannondale Saeco. Wore it down until it showed the reinforcement casing. I ride 'em until the skeeeery end of life. I've got a gaggle of replacements to choose from, both new and a carefully hand-picked selection of used tires.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2003 on: March 06, 2021, 11:08:25 AM »
Well we got our second month in a row of big for us water bills. Must have a leak somewhere. I'm calling a plumber Monday but figured I'd check what I could. Did the dye test in both toilets: the newer one was leaking! Drained the tank, pulled it off and took tit to the shop. New flush valve - and new fill valve while I was at it - and clean it out. Didn't know rubber parts turned into black ink after being wet awhile. Still have some of that residue on my hands.
But the toilet isn't causing the amount of extra water. house is 50 years old - could be a hidden supply pipe if not the new electronic water meter. :38:

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #2004 on: March 06, 2021, 11:27:21 AM »
  Got a leak in the feed to the house ? 

Well we got our second month in a row of big for us water bills. Must have a leak somewhere. I'm calling a plumber Monday but figured I'd check what I could. Did the dye test in both toilets: the newer one was leaking! Drained the tank, pulled it off and took tit to the shop. New flush valve - and new fill valve while I was at it - and clean it out. Didn't know rubber parts turned into black ink after being wet awhile. Still have some of that residue on my hands.
But the toilet isn't causing the amount of extra water. house is 50 years old - could be a hidden supply pipe if not the new electronic water meter. :38:
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline ron350

« Reply #2005 on: March 06, 2021, 11:33:11 AM »
 When my water bill went up it turned out to be a leaky pop off valve on the hot water heater.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #2006 on: March 06, 2021, 11:55:52 AM »
Technically this happen last weekend, but the fruit beared were enjoyed this morning.

Stiffened that unibody up, car has a real good suspension as it sat. The rear braces and front K these tightened, things up

Car rolls easier, ride is crisp suspension doing all the work.

This Mustang is really much more then I expected, unbelievable, best most refined car owned yet

Here what it looks like.

Night shot after the work, inspiration goes to Uncle Buck. :clap:

« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 02:18:13 PM by pep »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2007 on: March 06, 2021, 10:33:07 PM »
Some heavy engineering today   :D

For the last six months or so my tablet has been having issues with not charging properly when you plug it in. It is a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 I bought in 2014, so I probably shouldn't complain as it is in all likelyhood past it's design life. The charge port is worn. In the last week it has got worse, to the extent that it charges so slow I can get about an hours use out of it after charging for the rest of the day. Having a quick look around, a replacement is around the NZ$1,000 mark. After a look on YouTube and some googling, the charge port seems easy to replace and  the part is available in New Zealand at a reasonable price. Wednesday night ordered the part, dispatched on Thursday and turned up at work on Friday morning at 9am.

This afternoon, with the YouTube video playing on the laptop I set to work.

The most nerve wracking part of the job is getting the back off the tablet as you have to go in through the front and lever (gently) against the glass screen to pop the tabs holding the sides of the tablet to the front apart. Once you have done that that and got the side and back off in one piece it is pretty straight forward, just fiddley for someone with big hands.

Disconnect the battery, in the middle and disconnect the ribbon on the right. Unscrew two tiny philips screws at the bottom that hold the charge port.

Install new charge port and plug in. Next hardest part is picking up the tiny screws and putting them on the screwdriver.

Plug the battery back in, reinstall the back and test.

Success - no red X. Total cost, $21.37

Tools

« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 11:25:19 AM by Rural53 »

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #2008 on: March 07, 2021, 07:06:30 AM »
Getting in is the challenge  :clap:

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2009 on: March 07, 2021, 09:21:28 AM »
Excellent and well done! Thanks for posting that.

The ports are definitely a wear point on devices.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.