Author Topic: Post all of your latest tool buys here  (Read 183696 times)

Offline slip knot

Re: Post all of your latest tool buys here
« Reply #375 on: August 27, 2020, 09:04:03 PM »
Good luck with the drill doctor. I got one of the earlier versions and had a hard time getting a good drill bit. it looked really good on the cutting edge but the the trailing edge didn't drop enough. I used the DD to get the cutting edge right then I would finish it out by hand.  Maybe the newer style has corrected that. Or maybe I just wasn't using it right??? :017:

Offline muddy

« Reply #376 on: August 27, 2020, 09:10:23 PM »
Good luck with the drill doctor. I got one of the earlier versions and had a hard time getting a good drill bit. it looked really good on the cutting edge but the the trailing edge didn't drop enough. I used the DD to get the cutting edge right then I would finish it out by hand.  Maybe the newer style has corrected that. Or maybe I just wasn't using it right??? :017:
Mr Snappy said the older ones only had two tabs and tend to wobble.
He said the new ones have splines to help guide it. Supposedly these are better.

He's not the type to blow smoke, so we'll find out.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #377 on: August 27, 2020, 11:14:04 PM »
I'd be interested to hear how well it works. My old boss the troll had one. He'd take a dull bit and in seconds ruin it completely in one easy step.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #378 on: August 28, 2020, 04:48:29 PM »
Jafe, I think that was the model I had :lol_hitting: :lol_hitting:

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #379 on: August 28, 2020, 10:04:16 PM »
I was wondering if that was the standard model.

Not to get too far off topic but funny story about reshrapened drills. The troll and I went to the swap meet and some guy was selling sets of bits that (according to him) had been used by an aerospace company (big company rhymes with boing) that had since closed their southern California plant. According to him the company could only use the bits so many times and then had to be sharpened and could only be sharpened so many times and he bought all the drills they surplussed. Had this elaborate display with a small drill press drilling through files and brake drums and hardened bolts and all manner of stuff. Plus all these things with thousands of holes in them. The troll bought a set of bits.

The drills worked like the ones he sharpened on the Drill Doctor. So next time he takes them back. Guy says I can't take them back you used them and gee I don't know what happened this is the first complaint I've had. But what I CAN do is sell you this bigger set for the returned drills and more money (I don't recall how much but it was a lot). So the troll buys them and sure enough they worked like the first set. He being the thrifty person he was would never admit he got taken and swore they worked like magic. Meanwhile when thought no one was looking he'd use something else. Eventually he gave them away.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #380 on: August 29, 2020, 07:47:33 AM »
I'd be interested to hear how well it works. My old boss the troll had one. He'd take a dull bit and in seconds ruin it completely in one easy step.

:)) :)) :))        I’m still laughing
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #381 on: August 30, 2020, 09:48:39 PM »
i have never had luck with a sharpener either. better luck on a grinding wheel and  feel and eyeball method.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #382 on: September 02, 2020, 06:49:10 PM »
a few new things over the past week or so.

Offline muddy

« Reply #383 on: September 03, 2020, 08:20:44 PM »
Bought these off the snappy truck on a buy one get one free deal. Been needing short ball allen's for awhile.

I know this is a crappy picture, but lately I haven't been happy with Snap-Ons quality control. The finish just isn't on par with the sockets I've bought in years past.  The mid length sockets I bought a year or so ago didn't seem up to their standards and the sockets didn't fit fasteners the way they should (tolerances too tight). It's getting hard to pay for "Snap-On quality" when it's not there.

lightning final fantasy wallpaper

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline TacticalFun

« Reply #384 on: September 06, 2020, 08:31:01 AM »
New williams throwback sets. They are beautiful.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #385 on: September 06, 2020, 08:36:42 AM »
Nice! Not seen that set before. Is it inches or that whacky metric stuff?

Offline TacticalFun

« Reply #386 on: September 06, 2020, 08:40:55 AM »
I bought one of each. The 1/2 sets come out next month and i will get both of those too.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #387 on: September 06, 2020, 09:16:49 AM »
New williams throwback sets.

I wonder if the rebuild kits for those fit the older vintage Williams rats. I've got a 1/2" rat that needs a kit.

Offline TacticalFun

« Reply #388 on: September 06, 2020, 09:47:30 AM »
I can ask the williams guy when he comes next week. He still carries rebuild kits for the old ratchets. Send me the part # and i can see if they have

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #389 on: September 06, 2020, 11:25:17 AM »
I don't like metric either, but have actually found myself needing it lately.

I actually needed the 4mm socket last week and that surprised the hell out of me, never thought I'd actually need it.
Always lookin' to learn