Author Topic: One for Jabber.  (Read 2623 times)

Offline bmwrd0

One for Jabber.
« on: September 02, 2019, 11:22:16 PM »

Offline jabberwoki

Re: One for Jabber.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 11:26:14 PM »
That's a bit more cabbage than I`d like to spend. They are supposed  to be nice lathes though.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 05:03:10 AM »
If you go by ebay, yhat is actually a good price

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 09:57:35 AM »
That's a beater with a heater. It's done long duty at Boeing and looks pretty well used. It's from the first of the wide beds; very low 3xx serial number.

1st thing to look at on a Hardinge is the spindle nose and mouth taper, and he conveniently left out those pictures. That may be a threaded nose too, which it undesirable in my opinion. Close ups of the compound quick-withdraw action should be studied to make sure it isn't cracked (I'd wager money this one is, the early ones didn't have enough meat in the weak spot there). It also doesn't have a DRO on it, but is priced like it does. Figure $3K for a tenths reading Newall or Analam. The threading dog clutch should be run against a dial indicator to check for wear in the jaws. If it doesn't stop the carriage within .005 every time at 1200+ rpm, walk away it's not worth dealing with. Same for spindle damage and/or broken teeth on the spindle lock. A new spindle, ground in place, will exceed $5k alone.

I watched a narrow bed in the same condition sell for right at $3000 last fall, and I wouldn't say this one is worth a penny over 5 to the right buyer. The price on Hardinge lathes has taken a dump since the early 2000s. Cherry english/metrics were going for $25k+ in 2008 and are half that now with a little hunting. There have been several sell surplus from the govt in the past 12 months for well under $5k, which is a steal even factoring freight cross country.