Author Topic: induction heat for rusty bolt removal.  (Read 4148 times)

Offline jabberwoki

induction heat for rusty bolt removal.
« on: September 04, 2019, 12:16:29 PM »
Anybody using something like this ?
I`d like to find a non Asian version that not to expensive, looking for recommendations.

Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline fatfillup

Re: induction heat for rusty bolt removal.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 03:43:40 PM »
I have had a couple Mini Ductors pass through my hands.   Love the concept.  The 2 I had didn't look all that used, one more so then the other and that one had the accessory kit of heating element wraps of different sizes and shapes.  My gut is they work great but don't get used a lot or they are a pain or don't work as advertised.  I say this because I have never seen one with heavy use and I see a lot of tools and shops. 

This brand, don't know if it was this model.  I am thinking I had a bigger one that was much pricier new and one of these.

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/12722420030407982573_16247163047132396756_10008141?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 03:47:32 PM »
Wow, just watched the video, very impressive. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 05:38:09 PM »
That is pretty cool.

But I always thought that method was restricted to steel components only. Like front end parts, exhaust manifolds, and rusted on body fasteners. Never thought it could be used on aluminum.

Seeing that aluminum block glow red gives me pause. 600 deg C is dang close to the melting point.   :-\

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 07:19:28 PM »
I have had a couple Mini Ductors pass through my hands.   Love the concept.  The 2 I had didn't look all that used, one more so then the other and that one had the accessory kit of heating element wraps of different sizes and shapes.  My gut is they work great but don't get used a lot or they are a pain or don't work as advertised.  I say this because I have never seen one with heavy use and I see a lot of tools and shops. 

This brand, don't know if it was this model.  I am thinking I had a bigger one that was much pricier new and one of these.

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/12722420030407982573_16247163047132396756_10008141?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium
What sticks out to me, the size all good on a bench build or unbuild. For instance how many header bolts have that kind of work space available ?

Not knocking it, questing the practicality. I have seen the tool before and always on a fastener in the middle of a football field ....... well maybe not a football field. How about roomy room, as in not under the hood.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline ken w.

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 08:28:21 PM »
The Mac guy dropped off one at a friends shop for them to try. I used it on rear strut bolts and it worked ok. I still prefer oxy / act.  torches myself. But , I'm old school and don't like change.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 09:14:28 PM »
Seeing how fast it heats up there must be one heck of an amp draw on that baby. you see how heavy the cord looked :-\

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 09:37:10 PM »
Seeing how fast it heats up there must be one heck of an amp draw on that baby. you see how heavy the cord looked :-\

10-4 Agreed.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 09:56:42 PM »
Never knew such a tool existed. Very cool, I have been lucky enough that my torch always took care of problems like that for me.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 09:56:35 AM »
Never knew such a tool existed. Very cool, I have been lucky enough that my torch always took care of problems like that for me.

You wouldn't heat up the aluminum block like he's doing with a torch, would you?  :o

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 12:53:52 PM »
Nice tool to have around.

I've always found that a few heating/slow cooling cycles to be most helpful rather than a single heat up and bust'er loose approach.