Author Topic: VISE BUTCHERY  (Read 3500 times)

Offline ken w.

VISE BUTCHERY
« on: May 11, 2019, 09:52:12 PM »
A friend of mine sent me a text saying that he picked up a vise for me at a yard sale for $ 10.00. Cool right ? It was on my garbage can when I got home. It's a nice Craftsman made in Japan swivel base vise. These usually sell fast on CL. Then I took a closer look at it. It's mounted on some boards with a small C clamp on it. Where the C clamp is mounted , someone tool a grinder and ground the vise flat and cut into the side of the vise. They also removed the swivel base clamp and put a wood screw in it's place. I'm not sure what to say about this vise.  Check out these pics and tell me what you think what this person was trying to do.

Offline ken w.

Re: VISE BUTCHERY
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 09:54:25 PM »
A few more pics.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 10:00:16 PM »
Well I'd guess the PO was sick of it trying to rotate around while he was doing God-knows-what-all to whatever poor helpless piece he had chucked up. Some people probably shouldn't own an angle grinder.

Greyson

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 10:58:43 PM »
Well I'd guess the PO was sick of it trying to rotate around while he was doing God-knows-what-all to whatever poor helpless piece he had chucked up. Some people probably shouldn't own an angle grinder.

Greyson

I agree they shouldn't own one. That is a nice vise with the small horn on the anvil and the pipe jaws.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 12:49:26 AM »
The original, attempt to, hold down clamp was probaly lost or broken and replaced with the screw. Then since it was just as ineffective the C clamp got added but kept slipping off so a flat was ground so the clamp would seat properly.

The vise can easily be made useable by either tossing the swivel base and drilling a mounting hole on the left side or brazing the vise to the base.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 09:30:50 PM »
I've never understood how so many swivel base vises are out there straight up missing swivel lock hardware, or Jimmy rigged like that.

Not like it's vibrating off in use. Most swivel vises do not get swiveled that much so it can't be wear. Shop kleptomaniac? Magpies?

Is the black hole that eats original vise swivel lock hardware also responsible for all the 10mm sockets that go missing?

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 07:30:34 AM »
Unless all used vises must pass a Concours judging process before use, that one is a simple fix.

Put a bolt in to clamp the base and ditch the boards.  Ready for use.  Its a user for a home shop.

Offline pkerot

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 08:21:29 PM »
My best friend got one of that model that was real bad junk. I welded and grinded until it looked good and he made jaws for it

Offline ken w.

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 09:21:08 AM »
I finally put this vise back to looking better and found a swivel clamp. I ground the bad spot , filled it with Steel Epoxy , sand blasted , and painted it. I sold it on Facebook. I should have took pics. It came out pretty good.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 04:59:59 PM »
Yeah, I have one of those, I am guessing they made an improvement on it.

Huge piece of junk.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 05:58:22 PM »
I can see where it could be better than what some people have and use.
I really don't NEED more than these two offer but if it was here, I'd use it sooner or later.