Author Topic: Decided to replace some of my screwdrivers.  (Read 5935 times)

Offline strik9

• X
Re: Decided to replace some of my screwdrivers.
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2020, 11:26:47 PM »
I do all sorts of stuff with a few mismatched screwdrivers without ever really thinking about the tool.

I got some really good Phillies at the streetmarket so.e years ago and they just won't wear out.  Chinese made great quality stuff.

But being a Stanley fanboy I did keep one made into a square drive from a worn out flat.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2020, 11:36:07 PM »
I do all sorts of stuff with a few mismatched screwdrivers without ever really thinking about the tool.

I got some really good Phillies at the streetmarket so.e years ago and they just won't wear out.  Chinese made great quality stuff.

But being a Stanley fanboy I did keep one made into a square drive from a worn out flat.
I had some cheap Chrome vanadium screwdrivers from a large set I got for Christmas one year as a teenager and they actually held up very well, I liked the handles too.
Preferring American made tools I eventually gave them to my dad a year or two ago since I was just not using them anymore and he definitely needed something better than the garbage screwdrivers he had.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2020, 12:36:51 AM »
Just found a 4" x #1/8 standard , cost me $8 and change but I'm okay with that.
It doesn't appear they made a #0 aside from a pocket driver but that's not exactly what I'm looking for.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 12:48:47 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 03:24:43 PM »
Generally, I am not a fan of anything Stanley, however, the 100 series screwdrivers are one exception. I am a huge fan of those.  :bravo_2:
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2020, 04:21:19 PM »
Generally, I am not a fan of anything Stanley, however, the 100 series screwdrivers are one exception. I am a huge fan of those.  :bravo_2:
They have really been impressing me since yesterday for sure.
I just hope they made a 4" #0 at some point and I can find one NOS.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 10:15:23 PM »
Gang,

I'm generally not a fan of modern Stanley tools, but I do like the 100 Plus drivers, and most of the drivers I've got are 20 - 30 years old.  They have comfortable handles, strong shanks, and bitch hard tips.  And, the larger size drivers have a hex bolster on the top of the shank, a feature that comes in handy on old frozen rusty screws. 

I like to think these 100 Plus drivers are so good that even Stanley couldn't screw them up or abandon them.  If you'll recall, Stanley has taken down a lot of great tool companies over the decades.

So, Hickory, I think you made a good choice in your new 100 Plus drivers.  The more you use them, the more you will come to appreciate them.
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2020, 06:33:56 PM »
Well the 4x1/8 got delivered to the wrong Po box today along with something else I ordered.

In my small town people are good about returning such things, hopefully this time is no different and I get my stuff here in the next day or two.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2020, 06:37:25 PM »
Gang,

I'm generally not a fan of modern Stanley tools, but I do like the 100 Plus drivers, and most of the drivers I've got are 20 - 30 years old.  They have comfortable handles, strong shanks, and bitch hard tips.  And, the larger size drivers have a hex bolster on the top of the shank, a feature that comes in handy on old frozen rusty screws. 

I like to think these 100 Plus drivers are so good that even Stanley couldn't screw them up or abandon them.  If you'll recall, Stanley has taken down a lot of great tool companies over the decades.

So, Hickory, I think you made a good choice in your new 100 Plus drivers.  The more you use them, the more you will come to appreciate them.
Sadly they did a few years ago before they discontinued them, but luckily the good ones are apparently out there to be had NOS if you're lucky.
I guess one would have to ask a retailer If the Phillips are in fact the 3rd generation or good 2nd generation.
It seems places probably don't know enough to realize the stock photo they have may not match the actual product they have.
Always lookin' to learn