Author Topic: ID these jack stands?  (Read 7510 times)

Offline daves_not_here

ID these jack stands?
« on: September 02, 2020, 04:48:14 PM »
Starting @ 00:22 - I like these; never seen 'em before.

I did quite a bit of looking and can't find 'em on the interwebz.

Anyone recognize them?

Thanks!
David

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: ID these jack stands?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 05:11:00 PM »
They look like vintage equipment, and I doubt that style is still being made. Most you can hope for these days are ratcheting stands with double locks, or the heavier duty pin-style stands.

I think that the most sturdy and secure stand is the screw-type stand that uses an heavy ACME screw for adjustment and support. A little more expensive, but ultra-safe.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 05:16:02 PM by goodfellow »

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 08:22:41 PM »
Might find something searching Craftsman 6 ton ?

1776 ................... what happened!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 10:14:26 PM »
Those are certainly vintage and I have no idea of the weight rating as those are made of stamped steel.

Offline highland512

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 07:41:50 AM »
The search for a good jack stand has been on my things to do list list for the past month. I took 2 sets of 6 ton stands back to HF and left with a HF gift card...............I wasn't happy about that.

Anybody have experience with these? https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200349986_200349986

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 07:52:40 AM »
The search for a good jack stand has been on my things to do list list for the past month. I took 2 sets of 6 ton stands back to HF and left with a HF gift card...............I wasn't happy about that.

Anybody have experience with these? https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200349986_200349986

The Hein Werner name is owned by a Chinese conglomerate -- Shinn Fu, and although HW is their premium line, the design is a typical ratcheting mechanism. They may use better material and QC, but it's still a Chinese import.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 09:49:36 AM »
See if there is anything of interest here
http://torin-usa.com/index.php
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 12:03:52 PM »
Anybody have experience with these?

I got some probably 4 years ago. They seem sturdy but I haven't had anything bigger than a half ton. They extra height, compared to 3 ton models, is nice. I got mine from Zoro with either a 20 or 25% coupon. Their regular price is same as everybody else so they're unbeatable with a coupon. Northern is probably the worst place to buy them because IIRC they charge shipping.

The Hein Werner name is owned by a Chinese conglomerate -- Shinn Fu, and although HW is their premium line, the design is a typical ratcheting mechanism. They may use better material and QC, but it's still a Chinese import.

They're assembled in USA from global and domestic components. And they ain't that much more than chinese imports if you buy them from Zoro.

US Jack are the only 100% USA option I'm aware of. And they're over double the price of HWs.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 12:12:41 PM »
Anybody have experience with these?

I got some probably 4 years ago. They seem sturdy but I haven't had anything bigger than a half ton. They extra height, compared to 3 ton models, is nice. I got mine from Zoro with either a 20 or 25% coupon. Their regular price is same as everybody else so they're unbeatable with a coupon. Northern is probably the worst place to buy them because IIRC they charge shipping.

They're assembled in USA from global and domestic components. And they ain't that much more than chinese imports if you buy them from Zoro.

US Jack are the only 100% USA option I'm aware of. And they're over double the price of HWs.

Matt -- are you sure that their jack stands are US assembled with some US components? I know that their hydraulic equipment is assembled here, but I was under the impression that the basic ratcheting-type jack stands are all imports from Shinn Fu direct from the PRC.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 01:28:50 PM »
Matt -- are you sure that their jack stands are US assembled with some US components? I know that their hydraulic equipment is assembled here, but I was under the impression that the basic ratcheting-type jack stands are all imports from Shinn Fu direct from the PRC.

Says it right on their website. And them being a china corp I'm pretty sure they'd get busted for lying......

http://www.shinnfuamerica.com/ProductDetails/Hein-WernerAutomotive/6TonJackStands/HW93506/547

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 01:43:59 PM »

Says it right on their website. And them being a china corp I'm pretty sure they'd get busted for lying......

http://www.shinnfuamerica.com/ProductDetails/Hein-WernerAutomotive/6TonJackStands/HW93506/547

Thanks for the link -- that's a new one on me to be honest. I'll have to forward that link to a friend who was caught up in that HF jack stand debacle (twice), and he was so adamant about looking for American stands. This may be a potential solution for him

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 02:28:24 PM »
Snap-on jackstands are listed as USA but the 6 ton are $234 a pair.

https://shop.snapon.com/categories/Jack-Stands-(in-pairs)/675731
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 02:39:20 PM »

Thanks Steve -- I'll forward that link also.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2020, 05:06:00 PM »
Jack stands are one item I keep an eye out for at estate sales. Lots of old Petrochem guys around here got on the safety bandwagon and bought good stuff way back then. I've picked up two sets of HW 6 ton stands for $10 a pair. Locally, The floor jacks bring a premium but the stands are ignored. Mo better for me. :clap:

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2020, 07:47:23 PM »

Those look like rebadged HWs.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2020, 10:07:18 PM »
Those look like rebadged HWs.

It's a sure bet they're rebadged something. And HW is a very good candidate.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline highland512

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2020, 07:53:42 AM »

Thanks for the link -- that's a new one on me to be honest. I'll have to forward that link to a friend who was caught up in that HF jack stand debacle (twice), and he was so adamant about looking for American stands. This may be a potential solution for him

My bet is "assembled in the USA" means the legs and stand are slid together and have a US flag put on them then boxed up..........

The HF jack stand thing pisses me off, now I have no jack stands and $1xx in HF gift card that Im not sure what to use on. It will take forever to spend $100 when the only thing I really buy there is the latex gloves.

I might just take the slip knot route and start buying up old stands at auction. The only problem with that is what is the capacity of slightly rusty 50 year old stand with no label?   

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2020, 08:24:02 AM »
What parts failed on the stands? I really haven’t followed the saga.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline highland512

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2020, 09:21:45 AM »

I never had any fail but from what I understand if a vehicle got bumped the stands could disengage and retract. The paw engagement was next to minimal but the pairs I had seemed fine. I didn't want to risk it so I took them back.

This guy has a set that would collapse without any effort.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2020, 10:24:51 AM »
If you have older HF stands, this recall and safety issue doesn't really apply to you. I have several sets of the 1990's orange/yellow HF stands, and the pawls engage fully. I also have a set of old 1960s US made Atlas stands and the pawls are an exact match to the HF - in fact they're interchangeable.

I've noticed that once HF changed suppliers and moved from their decades old orange/yellow painted shop equipment line to the gray painted line, the quality suffered tremendously; especially in their hydraulic equipment lines. There is no comparison between an older orange/yellow engine hoist or 20 ton press to their newer gray colored replacements. The changeover happened about 10 years ago when HF dropped a lot of their heavy machinery and shop equipment suppliers.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2020, 12:14:30 PM »
My bet is "assembled in the USA" means the legs and stand are slid together and have a US flag put on them then boxed up..........

They don't come slid together. I'm not exactly happy about their COO but legally they should be doing something "significant" in the US to justify that label. I guess doing something in the States beats 100% china.

Also noticed in the video you linked those stands looked kinda small, and did a little digging. It appears the HWs are a good bit bigger and heavier than the china stands. Top review at the link has some good side by side comparison pics.

https://www.amazon.com/Hein-Werner-HW93506-Yellow-Stands-Capacity/dp/B0011O2RYQ/

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2020, 01:31:22 PM »
I still use the Allied brand ones I got at Price Club years ago along with a combination vise. The ratcheting parts are all good on those stands. I also had the 3 or 3-1/2 ton floor jack which gave me great service until a contractor stole it out of my garage.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2020, 03:41:38 PM »

I never had any fail but from what I understand if a vehicle got bumped the stands could disengage and retract. The paw engagement was next to minimal but the pairs I had seemed fine. I didn't want to risk it so I took them back.

This guy has a set that would collapse without any effort.

:-\ :-\ :-\
MAGA

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2020, 07:08:42 AM »
See if there is anything of interest here
http://torin-usa.com/index.php

I have a couple pairs of these I use. Came off ebay from pepboys. I think I gave about $35 for each pair.
http://torin-usa.com/bigred/bigred-categories/bigred-jack-stands/item/6-ton-jack-stands.html

They appear to have gone up in price though some 3T ones are reasonable
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254708656158?hash=item3b4dd1a81e

These were the cheapest 6T ones I found on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/T46002A-Torin-Steel-Jack-Stands-Double-Locking-6-Ton-12-000-lb-Capacity-1-Pair/363092786077?hash=item548a043b9d:g:-ukAAOSwphNfTpeZ
Though these are the double lock kind. Might be why the ones I got were less as they might have been moving them out to go to the double lock type. Not sure
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 07:14:57 AM by TexasT »
Rich

Offline daves_not_here

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2020, 09:40:45 PM »
Apologies for not returning sooner.

I realize the ones in the video I posted are vintage and stamped steel; I like the style and the mechanism. I was hoping someone would recognize them and know the manufacturer.

I don't care for the ratcheting type, no matter the manufacturer. Personal preference, I suppose.

I have a couple of these (not my photo) that I like and plan to restore sometime.

David

Offline walrus

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2020, 06:54:14 AM »
I have some older Hein Warner ratcheting ones. Never had an issue with them. I have some newer ratcheting ones that I've never hd an issue with either but still don't trust them like the older ones. Mostly I use my lift now so  :)

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2020, 09:09:04 PM »
Just took pics of a pair my kids got me 23 years ago. They have a safety pin for extra safety I guess. You know they are good when they have flames.    :))
MAGA