Author Topic: Burn protection from hot tubing  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Kenneth07ex

Burn protection from hot tubing
« on: September 10, 2020, 12:22:33 PM »
Working on, or near my compressor. Puts me near the high pressure outlet tubing. The copper tubing that runs from the high pressure cylinder, to the check valve at the tank. That tube gets extremely hot. I'd like to have some kind of protection sleeve on this. But it would have to let heat dissipate. So a wrap, or similar is out. Since that would be hard on the tubing, and probably not give the best results. A flexible screen would be nice. The old tubing that was replaced, was covered loosely with what looked like an asbestos sleeve. Even though it was a loose fit, I'd still prefer something less restrictive. To allow the heat to fully dissipate without any restriction. While not allowing direct contact with the tubing. All the new compressors have the naked tubing like mine, but my tube is ran in such a way, that it's pretty exposed.

All this, while providing a clean, good look also, is what I'm after. I'd consider the cloth sleeve, but I can't find anything in any kind of material that's loose weave enough. Everything I've found is designed to hold the heat in. It's a 3/4 inch copper tubing. With fittings that would have to be passed over. So 1 1/4 or so loose weave heat proof cloth type sleeve is what I'm looking for. But not knowing what it's called seems to be the problem. Google search always gets me to the same type stuff.

I've spent a bit of time off and on looking for ideas. But haven't come up with anything I like, that would meet those needs. Anyone know of such a cloth that would survive 3-400° or so? Maybe there's some other way of solving this? The low, to high pressure tubing has cooling fins. But I don't see that happening here. I'm certainly open to ideas.

Offline Matt_T

Re: Burn protection from hot tubing
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 01:15:00 PM »
Might find something suitable at this link.

https://www.mcmaster.com/braided-sleeving/

Offline Kenneth07ex

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 01:46:09 PM »
Yeah, thanks, that's what I've been looking for. I knew that it would be the wording of the search. Seems like in trying to get too specific, I was over thinking it. Which would've been okay, if I'd only known the specific material.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 01:47:41 PM by Kenneth07ex »

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 05:01:22 PM »
I've seen shop-made belt guards constructed from wire closet shelving.  How about a big removable guard that covers both the belt and tubing?

Offline Kenneth07ex

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 06:12:59 PM »
I've seen shop-made belt guards constructed from wire closet shelving.  How about a big removable guard that covers both the belt and tubing?

I'm trying to keep the clean, uncluttered look of the compressor. And it's a rare issue, but just common, and serious enough that it does need to be addressed. With the sleeve, it'll still be plenty hot. But a casual coincidental brush against it, shouldn't require first aid.

The sleeve is cheap enough. So I'll try that first. I can always fabricate a full guard later. If the sleeve doesn't work out.