Author Topic: Companies that own your favorite tool brands --  (Read 17844 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Companies that own your favorite tool brands --
« on: August 13, 2018, 11:07:45 AM »
These are most of the major brands available in the US, and categorized by the global/national conglomerates that own them
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 10:16:05 AM by goodfellow »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Companies that owns your favorite tool brands --
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 11:14:35 AM »
Great list!  ;)

Offline Stealth13777

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 06:30:15 PM »
Love that image!

Want to make it even more convoluted?? Then you have brands like Ridgid that are technically owned by Emerson, but the brand name is licensed to Home Depot so TTI can make power tools, among other things now carrying that brand name.

Still trying to figure out who’s factory actually makes the various Kobalt stuff now. Not sure if they compare closer to Harbor Freight or Ryobi/Ridgid, and honestly even that probably depends on whether it’s a power or hand tool.

Anyway, excited to join the site! Hope the rockauto shoutout brings in a lot more like it did me!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 09:55:45 AM »
I think the merging and consolidation will continue. As fewer and fewer companies remain independent, fewer and fewer companies will control more and more of the business $. "The only way to make money is to have money"  Little companies will be fending off bigger and bigger buy out offers from ever-growing monsters who eat ever more of the consumer pie.

I mean, think of how earth-shattering S&B's acquisition of Craftsman was!  And we ain't seen the end of it yet.

Offline strik9

• X
Re: Companies that own your favorite tool brands --
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 10:33:09 AM »
Giants tumble and fall too.  I doubt Loggerhead will be back with more of those fine bubonic wrenches to challenge SBD but now they could go head to head with Sears (which would love to have any suppliers...) and win.

The borgs aquire and sell elements of themselves all the time to other budding borgs.  Enough to not get over confident and forget others do what they do.

Even borgs must worry another will get that fat contract now and then.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 03:20:15 PM »
Good chart, I learned a few things.

Something I suspected based on similarity is that Vaughan & Bushnell owns Dasco pro, but what I don't know is if the Dasco plant is still open or if Vaughan produces all bars in house.
Also if the Dasco plant is still open, are the Vaughan super bars even made in the Vaughan plant.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline brslk

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 02:59:15 PM »
I posted this awhile ago on the old GG.
I'm on a FB tool group and there's always someone asking what 1/2" cordless impact to buy and the answer is always Milwaukee.
This question literally gets asked at least once a day and always gets the same answer.
So I grabbed my little 3.7V Jobmate cordless screw driver and put a few adapters with a 36mm socket and told them it was better than Milwaukee.  Then to add fuel to the fire I told them that Jobmate was made by Snap On.  Some of them just about lost their minds when I said that lol.   Then to make their heads explode I photo shopped that chart to add Jobmate.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 06:43:09 PM »
That is very funny.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 02:50:59 AM »
Just did some checking on Snap-ons annual report and discovered some interesting things.

https://www.snapon.com/Snap-on-Files/Annual-Reports/Snap-on2016AnnualReportWeb.pdf

Here are the companies they list as owning as of the writing of the 2017 annual report.

And some recent acquisitions.

And for the curious stuff is made in the US

And elsewhere

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 09:47:22 AM »
I posted this awhile ago on the old GG.
I'm on a FB tool group and there's always someone asking what 1/2" cordless impact to buy and the answer is always Milwaukee.
This question literally gets asked at least once a day and always gets the same answer.
So I grabbed my little 3.7V Jobmate cordless screw driver and put a few adapters with a 36mm socket and told them it was better than Milwaukee.  Then to add fuel to the fire I told them that Jobmate was made by Snap On.  Some of them just about lost their minds when I said that lol.   Then to make their heads explode I photo shopped that chart to add Jobmate.

Now that is some kinda funny right there. I laughed out loud with that.
Rich