Author Topic: The Beast  (Read 9175 times)

Offline bmwrd0

The Beast
« on: October 23, 2018, 10:09:45 PM »
So I hit an estate sale last week, looked around and only found a little that I could use/needed at first day prices. But looking around I saw a Craftsman 12" disc sander, repainted but ran nice. Needed a new cord. $75. I thought it was a little bit steep, so I figured I would come back on the discount day at the end of the week and see if it was still there. Well, got to thinking about it that night, realized that I almost never see them, check online and found that it was a pretty good price even with a few small issues. So I went back and picked it up the next day. Paid the full amount they asked. Went to pick it up to put in my truck, and that was some heavy equipment! It took the guy handling the sale to help me move the thing.

Here it is:

I didn't notice that the motor plate said 10amps when I looked at it, so that got me thinking. It is supposed to have a 1/4 to 1/3hp motor on the back, but this one has a 3/4hp on it. And not just any 3/4 when I looked into it. It is the Mill/Production motor, about twice the size as normal. Here is a pic of the two sized motors side-by-side:

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I bet this will remove some wood toot sweet!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: The Beast
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 10:42:26 PM »
Wood, metal, plastic, dead bodies - - that thing will remove anything you throw at it!
Congrats on that sweet deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 09:55:59 AM »
Nice buy for that price. That should clean up nice. That is a big motor but the RPMs are what matters. We had a 12" Craftsman like that but I replaced it with a 16" Apex with a 3ph motor that is big. I will have to check the RPMs on it. Now you just need a miter gauge for it and you could even make one.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 08:39:27 PM »
You will use the chit outa that. I use mine properly more than any of my ol brutes.

Just don`t trim your finger nails with it... don`t laugh I heard a story of a bloke trying to do this needless to say I didn`t turn out children friendly.

They are suppose to have sealed motors on them so you should pull that apart and clean it , also invest in a good dust collector and if it doesn't have a dust funnel to connect it to, make one up and hook up your collector to it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 09:12:02 PM by jabberwoki »
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 09:29:53 PM »
Well, I don't have a dust collector, but it is going into one of the outbuildings at the house, what was the original garage (apparently the first one in town!) that is sized for a model T. I was going to put it in my basement workshop, but I took one serious look at it when I got it home and just knew that it was going to be a dust maker. Part of the reason I wanted it is that I am planning on building a wooden sailboat, to take on the lakes. So it is going to be in the same place that all the other big dust and wood chip machines are going like the bandsaw and table saw, though I might get rid of that last one.

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 09:31:13 PM »
Wood, metal, plastic, dead bodies - - that thing will remove anything you throw at it!
Congrats on that sweet deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:))

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 09:33:59 PM »
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 08:18:00 AM »
Wow,  a wooden sail boat project.  That is cool and ambitious.   I would never take on a big project like that but whatever floats your boat :D

Sorry, couldn't help myself :-[