Author Topic: Shark fin antenna on modern cars  (Read 5750 times)

Offline m_fumich

Shark fin antenna on modern cars
« on: February 19, 2019, 09:04:02 PM »
I once tried to figure out why some cars had the shark fin antennas and others and stubby whip type antennas. One initial though was that the shark fin antennas were on cars with factory GPS systems. I discovered that wasn’t always true. Not only did I see cars with the shark fin antennas with no display for a GPS system, my wife’s car has a navigation system and the stubby whip type antenna. I once saw a pickup with both types. So what’s up with the shark fin antenna? Can and OEM shark fin antenna be removed from a junkyard car and mounted on another car and be made to function properly with other radios?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
Re: Shark fin antenna on modern cars
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 10:12:50 AM »
To answer the last part of your question I would say unlikely unless it is the one the OEM receivers were designed for.

In my experience with GM vehicles the shape was not only for function but also of design.  These antennas were required for AM, FM, GPS, OnStar, SiriusXM and frequently had combiners and splitters hidden in the vehicle.  I posted these pictures on the old GG but you will see a shark-fin antenna and one that used a small whip (removed).  These are a far cry from the old telescopic antenna for your AM radio.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 10:52:35 AM by stokester »
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 05:15:38 PM »
Do the new radios not use a standard antenna connection? Are new cars unable to receive new radios like you might buy at Best Buy? If a radio from Best Buy will work with an OEM shark fin antenna, couldn’t I install the new radio in my car and use an OEM shark fin antenna cannibalized from a junkyard car or purchased from the dealer?

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 06:56:32 PM »
Do the new radios not use a standard antenna connection? Are new cars unable to receive new radios like you might buy at Best Buy? If a radio from Best Buy will work with an OEM shark fin antenna, couldn’t I install the new radio in my car and use an OEM shark fin antenna cannibalized from a junkyard car or purchased from the dealer?

What was once a standard Motorola antenna coax plug is not used on the new multi-function systems I worked on.  These modern "radios" are actually able to perform many functions like your cell phone.  In the GM nomenclature it is a center stack which contains the display, frequently a DVD player, OnStar, bluetooth antenna, SiriusXM...  This system shares its information through a MOST (Media Oriented Systems Transport) bus .  Your HVAC info may also be part of it and it may also have a rearview camera.  You can still buy a vehicle with a basic AM/FM stereo radio but I found those only on fleet trucks and vans.

If I was to add an aftermarket radio to a late model automobile it would be to add some function or service and I would only buy one that is compatible with my vehicle.  That means the antenna system as well as the network.   I last installed an updated radio from Crutchfield with an aux and USB input to my 2005 Ford F150 which included all the proper connectors.  I don't know what the Best Buy systems have or require to be installed in a more modern vehicle.

Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 08:20:33 PM »
So if I want to eliminate the whip antenna on a 91 Mazda but still have a fully functioning radio, what are my options? The stock radio is too low in the dash to install an aftermarket radio with any type of touchscreen or anything more than a basic radio faceplate. I might have to consider doing some customization of the dash and console which I really didn’t want to do.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 07:03:19 AM »
So if I want to eliminate the whip antenna on a 91 Mazda but still have a fully functioning radio, what are my options? The stock radio is too low in the dash to install an aftermarket radio with any type of touchscreen or anything more than a basic radio faceplate. I might have to consider doing some customization of the dash and console which I really didn’t want to do.

A 1991 is a different story concerning a radio.

I would say your options are to look for a replacement antenna that meets your needs but I doubt that you'll find one that is not some type of whip.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 07:46:43 AM »
I think it’s time to get the schematics on a car with a shark fin antenna and see how integrated the radio is to the rest of the car.