Author Topic: Vintage siphon feed spray guns --  (Read 12554 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Vintage siphon feed spray guns --
« on: August 29, 2018, 10:10:51 AM »
What's wrong painting with a siphon feed gun? I recently picked up another DeVilbiss JGA spray gun from my local Craigslist. It's brand spankin' new, and I got it for next to nothing.

.......who still uses these great old pieces of spray technology?

I've painted cars with siphon feed guns for over 30 years -- yes, they are not as effcient as HVLP, but they work well.  I do have two very nice Astro HVLP guns, but still prefer the siphon feed for certain finishes (especially for lacquer based primer-surfacer, and single stage coatings).

Here is my new JGA -- one of the best guns ever built

These are my primer guns (1970's Buffalo and a 1980's HF) both work well -- no HVLP required.

This is my 1976 Sharpe model 75 -- one of the best guns ever made. That Sharpe 75 and my old JGA have painted well over 25 cars -- and I wouldn't trade them for anything

I painted my old '95 Rodeo with the DV-JGA and SH-75 siphon feed guns. Here it is after a single stage respray 15 years ago -- painted in my garage with Dupont acrylic enamel.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 10:13:12 AM by goodfellow »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Vintage siphon feed spray guns --
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 10:18:29 AM »
Yup, agreed, I have the same JGA model gun. I also have the same Sharpe gun that was my uncles that I got after his death. Later I picked up a 2qt Devilbiss pot guy with MBC gun and hose (step up larger than the JGA) Then later still added a Binks #7 new still in the box, gun and cup $20! How could I leave it behind right?

I bought a gravity flow HVLP import badged Craftsman a few years ago I have not yet used. Maybe the next time I paint I will give that one a try.

I still lean towards the old guns since that is what I am comfortable with. The MBC scares me how fast I can blow through a qt of paint. I have only used him once, great gun though.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

lostmind

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 02:10:08 PM »
I had MBC guns , sold them off. Painting days are over.
My son borrowed a HVLP gun and asked me to paint his car. Disaster. Lucky I brought my siphon gun and was able to save it.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 05:49:34 PM »
I ran Binks guns. The Thor was given to me by an older bud. He was painting cars with it probably before I was born. its been setting for a while, needs a kit. Same kit as the regular No.7

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 05:52:48 PM »
The last binks I picked up was this 2000 series. didn't like it very well.

Now its mostly cheapy HF purple guns. they seem to be able to match my skill level on painting now days. Cheap enough to pitch when they start acting up too.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 06:53:32 PM »
Nice guns slip knot -- The Binks Thor 7 must go back a long time because through most of the latter half of the 20th century (post war) it was only called the Binks No. 7.  A cool old gun -- thanks for sharing.

I too have a fondness of for old guns. Especially the DeVilbiss MBC and JGAa and the Sharpe 75s. last Christmas I bought this one -- brand spankin' new with a new Sharpe "no drip" cup -- it's a real gem. For traditional enamels and lacquers this is THE gun -- my older 75 is a bit worn, but still produces good results, but this new one is just for the sake of having it --

I have lots of gravity feed and detail guns, but none of them come close to the DV JGA, MBC, and the Sharpe 75. I wouldn't paint a vehicle with anything else at this point in my life.

Offline john k

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 11:30:52 PM »
Before I quit work 2 years back, went around and said goodbye to a few guys.  In the bodyshop, guy I was talking to was mixing paint to go spray in the booth.  Asked him if he ever missed the old siphon guns.  Said he had to take them home,  either insurance or EPA is death on them now due to the small droplet size.   If even one was found in he bodyshop, it would be bad.   Don't see any problem with personal use though.   You guys got a batch of spray guns.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 10:37:19 AM »
Before I quit work 2 years back, went around and said goodbye to a few guys.  In the bodyshop, guy I was talking to was mixing paint to go spray in the booth.  Asked him if he ever missed the old siphon guns.  Said he had to take them home,  either insurance or EPA is death on them now due to the small droplet size.   If even one was found in he bodyshop, it would be bad.   Don't see any problem with personal use though.   You guys got a batch of spray guns.

The issue with the old guns is not OSHA, it is EPA and material consumption and use. The old guns put a lot more material out that ended up as overspray and was not transferred to what was being painted under much higher pressure too. Essentially  more material waste. The new High Volume Low Pressure (HVLP) guns transfer a High Volume of material from the gun to the panel using Low Pressure meaning little overspray/waste.

So you say big deal, we wasted some material with the old guns. Look at it this way instead from EPA perspective (no I don't like em either)  From a regulators perspective you have this huge number of places using old technology that results in greater material cost to the user due to wasted material (overspray) but, for the regulators the real important factor is waste disposal and cleanup. The less material that has to be cleaned up results in less solvent disposal and rag disposal and the like. This means less environmental impact due to waste from that industry.

In a nutshell EPA could care less if a company or industry goes broke complying with their mandates, in the end it is always about chemical waste generated, reducing those wastes and reducing potential environmental impact. 

So, that explains why we have HVLP guns now. (My explanation does not mean that I love EPA either, just splaining the why)   :))

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 11:32:34 AM »
........So, that explains why we have HVLP guns now. (My explanation does not mean that I love EPA either, just splaining the why)   :))

Good explanation Buck!! --- also qulaity HVLP guns do need a much higher SCFM volume than the old siphon feeds. That is one of the reasons I didn't switch over all those years ago, because at the time my only compressor was a Sears 20gal. -2hp unit that put out max 7.2 SCFM at 40psi. Using an HVLP gun with that unit was impossible in those days. These days the LVLP guns address that problem, but in those days that technology was not available.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 11:37:34 AM »
........So, that explains why we have HVLP guns now. (My explanation does not mean that I love EPA either, just splaining the why)   :))

Good explanation Buck!! --- also qulaity HVLP guns do need a much higher SCFM volume than the old siphon feeds. That is one of the reasons I didn't switch over all those years ago, because at the time my only compressor was a Sears 20gal. -2hp unit that put out max 7.2 SCFM at 40psi. Using an HVLP gun with that unit was impossible in those days. These days the LVLP guns address that problem, but in those days that technology was not available.

The new technology is honestly cool. That said, unless a guy is running a lot of material through a gun the cost of that technology just does not offset the cost of wasted material doing a paint job for an occasional user like a home guy, even with the greatly increased cost of material it is just not worth it. Plus, there is the learning curve getting proficient using a new type of gun. Heck a lot of material could be wasted just getting comfortable with a new type gun!

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 03:53:55 PM »
Thank you everyone. I have two guns, an old Sharpe and a JGA. I never switched to SCFM guns because of the cost and air requirements. When my friend owned his bodyshop, he insisted I use my own guns so he wouldn’t have any liability. I was happy to obiage and loved the convenience of a booth. I still have them both as well as a siphon touch up gun.