Author Topic: RIP Starrett Tools  (Read 305 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
RIP Starrett Tools
« on: March 18, 2024, 09:12:11 AM »
Somehow I missed the recent acquisition of Starrett tools by an investment group. That no doubt signals the end of Starrett as it has been known in the past.

I have been reading for a few years now that Starrett had been second tier to Mitutoyo for some time. I  won't get into a whizzing match about that. I do know that years ago they started offering their Exact line (import economy) in an attempt to keep up with competitors and offer an alternative for those not wanting to dig deep for the USA made stuff. However,  to my knowledge they continued to make their top tier line as well.

That was the last I knew perhaps a decade or more ago.

Anyway, the brand will be missed by some, or at least me for starters. I  guess it is the natural progression.  Others before Starrett went the way of the dodo and things carry on right. Namely Lufkin and Brown and Sharpe for example, two I highly favor.

Anyway,  RIP Starrett
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline geneg

Re: RIP Starrett Tools
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 12:27:53 PM »
At least there is still an abundant supply of their tools available.  The estate sale people pretty well disregard the machinist tools in their photos, although they do picture wooden machinist chests for jewelry boxes.  Also digital display items get featured over vernier items.  I've seen full Kennedy chests for extremely cheap prices.   As the tool & die guys & machinists retire from work or the Earth, their stuff has to go somewhere.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 02:49:40 PM »
Exactly why I do buy vernier tools though I enjoy the ease of use dials and digital tools offer. Less demand and few know, or care to learn how to read vernier scale tools. Thus, less demand and bought cheaper.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline geneg

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 05:49:04 PM »
Hard to convince some folks that just because 4 or 5 digits are displayed right of the decimal point that the accuracy doesn't exactly correspond.

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 04:59:55 PM »
this is news to me as well