Author Topic: 71 Triumph Spitfire  (Read 13321 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
71 Triumph Spitfire
« on: August 14, 2018, 06:06:12 PM »
This car is not especially collectable, not a classic and far from exotic. It is however my DD as often as possible and an absolute hoot to drive. It's a Triumph Spitfire at the time Triumph was a marque in the British Leyland stable along with Morris, MG, Austin, Jaguar, Rover, Land Rover and some truck, bus, tractor and forklift brands. It had little in common with any of the other marques most of which shared some parts with each other. The Spitfire was supposedly named for the Vickers/Supermarine Spitfire aircraft. As the story goes Vickers wanted to use the name Vanguard for one of it's aircraft and Triumph had a car of the same name so they offered a naming rights swap to obtain the Vanguard name.

The car also differs from most of the British Leyland fleet in having a full frame (it's actually kind of pathetic but it is a frame) most of the others used unibody while most of the Triumphs had frames.

For it's time it was quite advanced having IRS, rack and pinion steering and disc brakes (front only). It produces an astounding 74 horses from an I4 OHV with a single side draft Zenith Stromburg carb. Earlier cars had dual SU side drafts. The massive power is coupled to a manual 4 speed. There were few factory options and fewer dealer options. This one has a removable factory hardtop which cost $175 in 71.

The car is quite small - the roof is about 44 inches off the ground and the seat cushions about 10. If you're over about 6'2" you won't fit and if you're of generous stature you won't fit.

Another unusual feature is anti Ackerman steering not something normally found on production street vehicles. It had the shortest turning circle of any production car until the Smart Car was introduced. The car really sticks to the road and I can make turns that have my passengers jumping out of their skins.

The luggage rack was an aftermarket addon. Note the fuel filler under the window accessible from either side. The gas tank right under the filler.

The entire front end is the hood like a an XKE and makes access a breeze. I can change the oil from the top - the drain plug is on the side of the pan and accessible from the top side. The filter is on the side of the engine and can be seen under the alternator. Even the starter can be removed from the top side it's right there under the fuel pump.

The silly mesh imitation air filter has been replaced with a stock one.

It's just basic CAR. Not much in the way of comforts or luxuries. Even the radio is kind of a loosing battle since the engine noise and wind noise makes the radio kind of useless.

Like most Brit cars it's not just a car it's a hobby but every time I get in it it's an adventure.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: 71 Triumph Spitfire
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 06:07:58 PM »
It's a great looking old roadster -- always liked the lines of a Spitfire over an MGB or Midget

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 06:34:53 PM »
Thanks. I saw an MGB I was really interested in last week. I was very tempted but I really object to the color and I have enough projects painting a car is not something happening any time soon.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Brophy

• Stupid Hippie
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 06:42:56 PM »
That Spitfire looks sweeter every time I see it JAFE!! It's a classic...don't let anyone tell you different.

It must be nice to live in an area where you are not fighting rust!!

Rob...always partial to the GT-6

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 07:23:52 PM »
I'd love to have a GT6 as well.

It is nice not having rust issues I have to confess but that was a big reason I found my way here.

Offline Rewind

• Howdy Folks!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 08:33:33 AM »
That's a cool little car!!! Thanks for sharing. Does it require a lot of maintenance to keep on the road, I've heard they do.
Hanging in, Hanging on, Hanging out!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 12:51:22 PM »
By modern standards yes, they require a fair amount of maintenance. But if you do it right (and Brit cars are different than most others) they are not bad.

But I am prejudiced and really like Little British Cars so that may color my thinking.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 08:20:10 PM »
I think that is a very cool car. I agree it looks much better than an MG.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 09:06:26 PM »
Spitfires are cool.  A friend almost bought one thirty years ago but the guy was being stingy on the price.  Ended up with a 1970 Midget.  He sold it a few years ago and bought a boat.

The MGA is my favorite.  Such classic lines!  The one below would look much better without that luggage rack!
boop/bop/beep

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 10:15:04 PM »
I agree those MGAs are very nice. That luggage rack is out of place.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 02:28:20 PM »
That does look like a fun ride.  And the motor access is unbelievable.  I personally wouldn't want to take a long trip in one but as  commuter or weekend fun ride, it is perfect.

I stopped at a yard sale today and the lady said she and her husband drove a TR6 across country when moving.  And they took a southern loop so it was likely 3500 mile or better.  They had a blast but were much younger at the time. 

Its a real blessing to live in a rust free zone

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 02:50:53 PM »
I have (so far) driven it about 60 or so miles in one sitting. The longest trip in one day was to Long Beach swap (~55 mi), Rancho Cucamonga (~60 or so) then home (~60). I would do it again happily. It does not have a (working) radio but I wouldn't be able to hear it anyway. I did wire up a power port for my GPS and/or charge a cell phone but I doubt I'll do anything about a radio.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 08:10:18 AM »
I went to the San Francisco Auto Show when Spitfires first came out. I sat in one and really wanted that car. You are living my adolescent dream!
-Don

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 10:19:40 AM »
Hi Steve. Your Spitfire is simply beautiful.  Back in the day I owned an MG Midget,  but then I got into ocean sports and needed something more suited to an outdoor lifestyle.  So, I sold the Midget and bought a Toyota Hilux pickup trunk. And as much as I loved the fun of owning a sports car,  to this day trucks are a better fit for me. 

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 04:36:29 PM »
... You are living my adolescent dream!
-Don

Funny my wife keeps telling me I act like an adolescent.  :D

Cruiser I have an Explorer for truck stuff and I use it a lot. The Spitfire is just for fun and a lot of things don't require much room. But I take the Explorer to the grocery store unless I just need a few things.

Offline xflffpm

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2019, 11:25:01 PM »
My first car was a TR-7, then I bought a Spitfire. I was 6'3 in High School  but I had some fun in that car.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 01:42:51 AM »
I think 6"3" is about the limit for a Spittie. At least with the top on.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 07:47:58 AM »
A buddy is slowly working on his MGA restore. Just a few weeks ago I hooked him up with my alu-welder friend and he got his boot (rear deck lid) stitched up where it had a rack (and the resulting holes) filled up. Looks sweet now and will be rack free.

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 12:23:30 PM »
I wish I had pictures of the MGA I had in the 70s. Plain black , nothing special, but I loved that car. No top so I could get in it easily ( I am a big guy ! ) and could take one passenger. Lots of quick turns and quick curves. I used to compete in gymkhanas with it, but never won.

I sold it sadly, but told the guy it needed radiator work soon. He didn't listen and overheated it badly. I did the repairs for him and never saw it again.
This is what it looked like-
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline muddy

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 02:07:48 PM »
Looks like a fun little car

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 09:27:03 PM »
Those MGA's are neat cars. Rarely see them in black they almost always seem to turn up in white but MG offered several other colors including BRG and red.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 09:59:26 PM »
Those Spits and MGs look like a fun ride. I would be afraid to drive one around here with all the jacked up big tire trucks and Jeeps around here.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2019, 12:26:25 AM »
Never driven an MGA. I have driven an MGB, an MGBGT (the "fastback") and an MGCGT (6 cylinder) and those are a hoot. The MGs are a little more civilized than the Spit.