Author Topic: The perfect shop shoes / summer beaters  (Read 700 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

The perfect shop shoes / summer beaters
« on: February 25, 2024, 08:40:37 PM »
Sneakers have their place, but they're not durable which makes them a poor choice for many things if you're feet will let you wear anything else which mine thankfully do.

Back in September I ordered a pair of " Vellies " chukka boots from the south African company Jim Green , they recently entered the US market and I have heard so many good things about them.
They have a few different options for the Vellies, a couple colors of rough out leather and some standard smooth grains, I chose the harder wearing rough out in their khaki color.
https://jimgreenfootwear.com/store/rough-out-vellie-khaki/
Jim Green does things right sourcing all components locally and paying their workers a good wage, they have lower materials / production costs because of sourcing materials locally and exchange rates are favorable so you can get an excellent quality durable shoe / boot for the money.
I prefer American made footwear generally but Jim green isn't just a name slapped on cheap outsourced  Chinese / vietnanese junk, and I was interested in a pair of their Vellies as a workshop shoe and everyday summer beater because of not only the price but because their made with a wide roomy toe box on a last ( the form it's built on which establishes the shape of a boot ) designed so they can have such a wide toe box without looking odd.

The first thing I did when I got them was replace the laces with a set of lock laces, if you're not familiar basically it's a piece of shock cord a snap on cord end and a flat cord cinch.
I used 550 paracord instead of the shock cord because I took them off an old pair of sneakers and didn't really think the sho cord would work out with these anyways.

The next thing I did after I got over how nice they looked when new was to heavily dub them with obenaufs heavy duty LP and beeswax.

They're affordable,  comfortable,  hard wearing,  they can be resoled, and being a chukka especially with the lock laces I put on them they're quick &  easy to put on / off.
They're like a sneaker but actually durable.

For other roles such as work or my late fall - winter everyday boots I wear Thorogoods, but these are awesome for the summer.
I've worked in the shop, around the house, explored / trail hopped on my minibike,  shopping...etc and they even stay fairly presentable to go out to lunch with my Dad.

Eventually I'll probably get the soles replaced with some vibram wedges because these outsoles are a bit hard , they should last a long time but something a little bouncer would be great.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 08:47:04 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: The perfect shop shoes / summer beaters
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 09:31:52 PM »
agree on the sneaker deal. i don't like most of them i have a trashed out pair of nike"s that are comfy as all get out and have stood up but not fit for public wear. i have some avia's. just can't like them.

for years my kids have been telling me to get some dudes. my opinion has always been no. not me. recently they cam out with some higher type chucka type dudes that are leather. i picked up a pair in december and damn it if i don't love em. i guess i am one of the cool kids now!
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Online pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 07:17:56 AM »
Bruce is back ????
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 09:05:30 AM »
I sure hope so!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 11:53:41 AM »
I sure hope so!
I think I remember that guy,  wasn't he from Canada?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline highland512

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 01:04:01 PM »
I contemplated to start wearing metatarsal boots after I dropped a piston on my foot while wearing tennis shoes. 0/10 would not recommend dropping a piston on your foot. 

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 07:24:04 PM »
Bruce is back ????
:))

Sent from my twisted mind of the mudman

Offline muddy

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 07:24:36 PM »
I sure hope so!
Yep and he would always point out someone's shoes when they were in a photo.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2024, 07:35:56 PM »
Rich

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2024, 07:45:21 PM »
I contemplated to start wearing metatarsal boots after I dropped a piston on my foot while wearing tennis shoes. 0/10 would not recommend dropping a piston on your foot.

One of the few guys I ever knew to wear those lucked out while building dozer blades and buckets at a Cat plant where I worked. A cutting edge he was welding to a dozer blade fell when the welds he had tacked the edge to the blade popped off and fell on his foot!

It was mighty close, he lucked out and just lost a bit of skin from the end of one toe. Of course his new boots were toast, but he walked away with no amputation of toes. That made me a firm believer for work in heavy fab shops.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2024, 11:04:52 PM »
I sure hope so!
Yep and he would always point out someone's shoes when they were in a photo.

Yeah I remember him making a comment about a picture of mine and it stuck with me for some reason.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline walrus

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2024, 06:11:12 AM »
I wear New Balance shoes most every day, some times even in trenches depending on what the material is, generally gravel. Don't wear boots any more than I have to. Winters in Maine are sneaker weather as long as its not snowing. Lighter than boots and easier on feet and knees.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2024, 12:32:52 PM »
While not trying to hijack this thread, man do I hate mesh top sneakers/running shoes when I weld. That slag just flies right through that mesh and vaporizes whatever sock I am wearing and caused me to jump (not for joy).

Breathable yes. Slag resistant, not so much.

;)

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2024, 06:16:46 PM »
While not trying to hijack this thread, man do I hate mesh top sneakers/running shoes when I weld. That slag just flies right through that mesh and vaporizes whatever sock I am wearing and caused me to jump (not for joy).

;)
Just another point towards the Jim green Vellies which are made of rough out leather instead of cheap disposable manmade materials.
There's a reason welding gloves and welding aprons are made of suede or rough out leather.
Btw it may not be as breathable,  but a a lot of good leathers can still breath pretty darn well.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2024, 07:02:32 PM »

;)
Got to get some of those welding sandals the fella down in Mexico had. Man I can't remember his username for the of me good guy though.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2024, 07:50:02 PM »

;)
Got to get some of those welding sandals the fella down in Mexico had. Man I can't remember his username for the of me good guy though.

I think it was Strik9.
The older hand made huraches were nice. The new ones are just mass produced crap. The old ones used repurposed tires for soles.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2024, 12:21:01 PM »
Whatever happened to Strik anyways ?
I always enjoyed his posts.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline highland512

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2024, 01:18:55 PM »
Whatever happened to Strik anyways ?
I always enjoyed his posts.

To many pictures of big girls......................he went blind...probably  :hee20hee20hee:

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2024, 04:30:38 PM »
That was Merk that had an affinity for Beefy women. LOL

Offline muddy

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2024, 07:44:49 PM »

;)

I think it was Strik9.
The older hand made huraches were nice. The new ones are just mass produced crap. The old ones used repurposed tires for soles.
Yep your right. I miss him. Good content. Always interesting to see the way they repaired things on a budget.

Online nelstomlinson

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2024, 11:18:37 PM »
Are you thinking of Strik9?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2024, 06:02:58 AM »
Are you thinking of Strik9?
Yes that was strik.
It's been well over a year since he posted here.
Always lookin' to learn