Author Topic: Odd thing about buying on ebay.  (Read 174 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Odd thing about buying on ebay.
« on: March 19, 2024, 07:19:22 PM »
For the last few months I have been buying tons of stuff from ebay. The vast majority of the stuff I have bout has been machinist tools.

About 2/3 if not more of the tools and stuff I have bought come from Pennsylvania. That seems so odd to me.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: Odd thing about buying on ebay.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 07:55:44 PM »
Lots of manufacturing previously, if not as much now in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois.  Sometimes I check those areas for prices on stuff on Facebook Marketplace and just drool on the selection. 

If I was still in Michigan, I'd probably have a lot more stuff than I do now.  In Georgia, if you see certain things, you have to jump on them fast because they don't show up often and they'll be gone quick.
boop/bop/beep

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 08:36:40 PM »
Another factor could be the people who used those tools are starting to die off and families are selling out the estate. When I was hitting the estate sales I knew which neighborhoods the older petrochem guys lived in and I would hit those sales religiously.
They sent their kids off to college and the kids wound up with good office jobs and had no clue what those hand tools were. they just wanted the house cleaned out to sell it.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 08:52:24 AM »
I know a couple of resellers who say Fla is ripe for tool deals, especially if you buy the complete collections

I imagine a lot of retirees selling their tools

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 12:31:42 PM »
I know a couple of resellers who say Fla is ripe for tool deals, especially if you buy the complete collections

A lot of tools I've bought on Ebay have come from Florida actually.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 01:56:46 PM »

I believe that too. I have bought a number of tools that came from there as well.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!