Author Topic: Vintage Photo Of The Day  (Read 277323 times)

Offline muddy

Re: Vintage Photo Of The Day
« Reply #1275 on: October 26, 2022, 07:08:49 PM »
Muddy, any idea what that first photo is from?

Looks like some I saw from a book on the building of the Panama Canal.
Reverse image search shows it coming from Great Smoky Mountains National Park Facebook page with the caption "Marion Shovel model 28 clearing the way for track to laid up Little River Gorge, 1906".

https://www.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainsNPS/photos/marion-shovel-model-28-clearing-the-way-for-track-to-laid-up-little-river-gorge-/1998464013544252/
Nice work Rural. I have not history on most of these pictures.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline muddy

« Reply #1276 on: October 26, 2022, 07:10:24 PM »
Ooooooooooooooooo, dropping a hemi in the King's car

Gotta love Richard Petty
Was it his skills or his mechanics? Or did they just get away with cheating....

Earnhardt always said "it's my job to cheat, it's their job to catch me"

Don't know, likely a bit of all three.

As to Earnhardt, I think that is the attitude of a lot of racers, especially those at the top.  Of course if you are cheating and losing, nobody cares :))
Yep no one bats an eye unless your winning

Ooooooooooooooooo, dropping a hemi in the King's car

Gotta love Richard Petty
Was it his skills or his mechanics? Or did they just get away with cheating....

Earnhardt always said "it's my job to cheat, it's their job to catch me"

Don't know, likely a bit of all three.

As to Earnhardt, I think that is the attitude of a lot of racers, especially those at the top.  Of course if you are cheating and losing, nobody cares :))

I recall that old Smokey Yunick was the master at "bending" the NASCAR rules, and he made it his mission in life to beat that system at every turn.

Yep same goes in tractor pulling.... It's all in how you READ the rule :)) it may mean one thing to the organization but another to you lol

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1277 on: October 27, 2022, 07:42:06 AM »
Wasn't into racing back then but have heard Smokey twisted the rules pretty hard.  One story was an official leaned on his car and the fender bent in.  Acid dipping the body shaved a few pounds.  Started checking for that after that happened :))

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1278 on: October 27, 2022, 11:29:50 AM »
I like the tale about the tech bunch accused him of altering the fuel cell so they removed it for inspection and Smokey got pissed and drive the car away.  Minus the fuel cell

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1279 on: October 27, 2022, 12:07:58 PM »
I like the tale about the tech bunch accused him of altering the fuel cell so they removed it for inspection and Smokey got pissed and drive the car away.  Minus the fuel cell

I remember that story. Didn't he hide some 30ft (or so) of 1/2" fuel line in the car; which amounted to about 4-5 Gallons of extra fuel storage during a race. Smokey was a genius, and he loved messin' with old Bill France Sr. Smokey usual got the better of Bill in most of their battles.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #1280 on: October 27, 2022, 11:20:43 PM »
whats the Ugly but Honest guy have on the rack?? The Granada behind the pump looks to be late 70s early 80s.

It does not matter what was on the racks because given the era it was probably underpowered,  ugly, unreliable, and essentially a Bic lighter with wheels! LOL :lol_hitting:
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline john k

« Reply #1281 on: October 28, 2022, 09:05:59 AM »
I like the one about Smokey and his 78 Chevelle.  Rules said No belly pans, so he cut out the floor, rewelded it to the bottom of the sills.  Judges said the roof looked lowered, Smokey looked around, pointed to a "stock" Chevelle in the visitors section.  They measured it, OK.  Only Smokey owned it too,  both cars had lowered roofs!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1282 on: October 28, 2022, 09:18:19 AM »
Google Smokey Yunick's cheats and he had some good ones.  He was quite proud of being able to work around the rules by altering things not specifically addressed in the rule book.  Technically, his oversize fuel line was legal because it wasn't addressed in the rules

Offline muddy

« Reply #1283 on: October 28, 2022, 07:17:33 PM »
Wasn't into racing back then but have heard Smokey twisted the rules pretty hard.  One story was an official leaned on his car and the fender bent in.  Acid dipping the body shaved a few pounds.  Started checking for that after that happened :))
I have heard that as well. I know it was true with the aluminum body dragsters

Offline muddy

« Reply #1284 on: October 28, 2022, 07:30:05 PM »
Google Smokey Yunick's cheats and he had some good ones.  He was quite proud of being able to work around the rules by altering things not specifically addressed in the rule book.  Technically, his oversize fuel line was legal because it wasn't addressed in the rules
The Allison team ran into that often. When they were one of the first to put an Allison aircraft engine in a tractor.

Many local pulling clubs/organization would make a rule outlawing more then 6 or 8 cylinder engines. Or limit length of tractor allowed. Still happens today. My friend will show up for an enhanced class, the next year it'll have a no turbo rule because he cleaned house lol.

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #1285 on: October 28, 2022, 08:43:27 PM »
I don't know how many here are Youtube watchers, but there are a couple of people on it, doing some sort of restoration of at least one of Smokey Yunick's cars.

Here are a couple links:

Offline muddy

« Reply #1286 on: November 01, 2022, 09:24:01 PM »

Offline muddy

« Reply #1287 on: November 11, 2022, 09:00:07 PM »

Offline muddy

« Reply #1288 on: November 17, 2022, 07:48:17 PM »