Author Topic: The toolbox brain  (Read 1997 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

The toolbox brain
« on: January 11, 2020, 02:15:30 AM »

I don't even know how to describe it really.
I'm talking about the instinct to reach into a toolbox instead of picking up a phone .

Why is fixing something yourself such a foreign concept these days ?

Maybe it's because I'm not a social person by nature and need hobbies, but having just turned 25 on the 6th I'm the tinker and wrench in the garage type vs the party and " hang out " type that all the " kids " I work with are. Most are 16-21 or so and none of them would ever have the thought to tighten a problematic loose screw.
Lazy or not, it just isn't a familiar concept to them.

In addition to my knives and other pocket gear I carry on my belt a multitool a flashlight a pair of #426 channellocks and a 6-1 screwdriver plus a small tool bag in my locker.
Not because it's in my job description but because at a 24hr business mostly under the employ of dumb kids everything is always falling apart and it's just easier to tighten a loose nut bolt or screw and get on with my day than let it something actually fall apart later on whether it's on my shift or not.
Most often this stuff is not actually a problem for me, but I don't let it become one for me or even the next guy.

I just have the instinct to wanna fix things and my dad is the only other person like this I really know besides fellow tool enthusiasts here on the forum.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
Re: The toolbox brain
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 04:01:21 PM »
You should see the looks I get when I tell people I assembled my own transmission, or swapped and engine into the car my daughter is driving.

Keep up the good work, but keep it on the down low or you will be inundated with requests for free or discount wrenching on other people's torn up crap.
Rich

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 07:31:04 PM »
man i work on stuff all day...I still don't carry that much stuff on my belt. just a flashlite. lol

but seriously you better watch out or you will be the unofficial maintenance guy at work. might be time to move on to greener pastures....where you can get paid for using your skillset

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 10:18:05 PM »
man i work on stuff all day...I still don't carry that much stuff on my belt. just a flashlite. lol

but seriously you better watch out or you will be the unofficial maintenance guy at work. might be time to move on to greener pastures....where you can get paid for using your skillset
Maintainence is my official job title, but it's a fast food job which actually just means a bit of janitorial and everything else.
I don't particularly like the job but it's what's available to me in my current situation and it's not that hard of a job.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline highland512

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 07:29:27 AM »
Goodnews is right now you are living in the lowest unemployment rate the country has ever seen since it was tracked. Unlike many things you see in the news I believe the rate is as low as they are reporting because we cant find anybody to help set forms and pour concrete for $25-$33 an hour and its not just us, everyone in construction is complaining of the same thing. Have you ever thought of getting into construction? I promise you, if you can show up to work everyday and actually work, show an interest in learning/growing you skills, leave the cell phone in the truck, and dont complain about every little thing you can do very well in construction.     

Dont be afraid to try something new, if you dont like it try something else.........This is a sellers market, your selling your labor, you can pick and choose where you want to work and name your price. Congratulations 

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 08:54:46 PM »
I'm the only one in my shop that carries a magnet, inspection light and mini screwdriver in his shirt pocket.

Although I am of the younger generation I'd rather try to fix things myself. I will use Google and YouTube to my advantage when I get stuck.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 10:31:38 AM »
Hick, have you ever thought about getting into OPE repair? That might be a good match between you and your skills, and the area you live in.