Author Topic: Just for Hickory: 3/8" adaptor on GearWrench  (Read 2736 times)

Offline bonneyman

Just for Hickory: 3/8" adaptor on GearWrench
« on: January 15, 2020, 04:48:12 PM »
I had this 12mm hex to 3/8" square adaptor. Nicely made, but required a 12mm ratcheting wrench to be utilized. Just found a suitable test subject last week, and here's the results.
For an ultra-compact need I could grind the adaptor down some to eliminate one (or both) of the o-rings, but that would restrict it's use (sometimes a long offset box wrench would be great but they have deeper broaches. And some ground down shallow sockets would shave some more thickness off). Plus it's easier to spin the thing with your fingers when it's raised like this. So I'll leave it for now. Added some rubber tubing for a grip handle - I'd say for a compact 3/8" ratchet it should perform well.

But Hickory should be able to see how I made it - might help him with his 1/4" project.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 05:52:06 PM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Just for Hickory: 3/8" adaptor on GearWrench
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 12:02:22 AM »
That's a good idea if you're using sockets, and the O-ring might be a good way to hold a bit adapter into a ratcheting box wrench.

I've played with a bunch of different ways to make something work well, but have determined that a 1/4" wrench just won't work well for standard driver bits.
To make this work I'll need to find something with ball detents like some Chapman's but shorter.

I found this proto JHAM4S set for $20+ shipping and am going to give them a try.

The 1/4" bit version seems pretty interesting, I'll just need a 10mm but this will also be used for the 1/4 square adapter which should be very handy.

I only need the two but the set was the only way to get them, I don't know what I'll do with the others.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 12:21:12 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 08:03:02 AM »
Whatever works for ya.

I tend to accumulate adaptors.   :-[

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 11:32:14 AM »
I also found a Chapman set on eBay, a 1316 with the driver and 16 bits in the yellow pouch.
I'll try the Chapman driver out but with a mere 20 tooth count what I'm really after is the bits themselves.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 11:35:08 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 11:34:03 AM »
Whatever works for ya.

I tend to accumulate adaptors.   :-[
Had I originally gone with something a bit larger than 1/4" I'd probably have a lot more options I'm sure.
I'll have to try some of your ideas when I get a couple slightly larger wrenches to play around with.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 11:36:45 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 12:24:04 PM »
I've got a Chapman bit driver (love it) and an Indestro/Duro set of hex drive sockets that I use with a Craftsman hex bit driver. I use whatever little modded tool I have to for finishing up the job.
Let us know what you finally come up with.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 12:46:11 PM »
I've got a Chapman bit driver (love it) and an Indestro/Duro set of hex drive sockets that I use with a Craftsman hex bit driver. I use whatever little modded tool I have to for finishing up the job.
Let us know what you finally come up with.
Will do.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 04:00:08 PM »
I've got this true utility Tu231 minidriver that uses these extra stubby 1/4 bits

With these and a magnet you get an extremely low profile, but the problem is they only come with 4 and I lost one recently.
Plus you don't get any kind of finger spinner which I feel is kind of important in little bit ratchets.

They make this version that holds the little bits in with a strong magnet and another that uses detented double sided bits ( these stubby ones are hard to remove )  which I actually had and stupidly gave away back on November.
Those double sided bits would probably be perfect for this had I not given it away  :-[
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 06:15:04 PM »
Had another idea.
Cut a groove on the back end of a bit and snapped on a C-clip.

It works and wouldn't be too hard to modify a basic assortment of bits, but I'd still have to modify each and every bit.
Always lookin' to learn