Author Topic: 1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, Nearly Twenty feet of Luxury.  (Read 475 times)

Offline oldcarguy

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, Nearly Twenty feet of Luxury.
« on: October 26, 2023, 07:01:05 PM »

The 1976 Cadillac styling was exquisitely sculpted, had a superb ride quality, and the world’s largest V8 engine,, the massive Cadillac’s 500 cubic inch (8.2 liter). The 1974-1976 Cadillac proved to the world that nobody made a massive luxury car better than Cadillac. Some say the 1976 was definitely the "last year" for the Rolls Royce Quality of Cadillac.  Unfortunately due to the new government bureaucracy. And misplacement emissions and fuel economy regulations, the 1977 Cadillac shrunk in size and the big Cadillac’s V8’s displacement was lost forever. Along with the luxury era that will never be repeated.

I purchased this Cadillac new in April 1976. It's all original except for tires, some plastic parts and alternator. And has just 13,000 miles.. It was my first of seven Cadillac's that I have owned to date. One shy of the eight Buick's that I purchased. None being front wheel drive models though. I'm from the old school, and like the handling of rear wheel drive vehicles..

This car is amazing to drive. Sitting behind the wheel gazing down the massive hood while having tons of space between you, the door and passengers around you. And all you can hear is the crushing of leather over layers of cushion  you're sitting on. Undeniably from an excessive era of dinosaurs of the past..

Offline slip knot

Re: 1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, Nearly Twenty feet of Luxury.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 07:44:32 PM »
Thats a beauty.

I will agree those were the last of the elegant Caddies for sure.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 08:04:14 PM »
Absolutely Stunning OCG. Those were the days - weren't they? Cadillac had some stellar automobiles that were fantastic to drive on American roads given the speed limits and conditions of the era. Your '76 Coupe DeVille is a truly a treasure to behold.

I have many European friends that, having never actually driven in a Cadillac, were of the impression that they were clunky, unresponsive and bloated. Once they actually drove in one and realized how geographically immense the continental US actually is, they all appreciated the luxury ride and feel of a Cadillac on those long distance cruises across the US interstate highway system. Our American luxury cars were designed for that kind of driving.

I own a 2011 DTS, and sadly it was the last of the large six passenger normally asperated V8 road cruisers that Cadillac produced. The Northstar 4.6L V8 had some significant problems early on, but the bugs were eventually fixed and I was sad to see it discontinued in 2011.

Offline john k

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 07:22:06 AM »
Having driven many Cadillacs, owned 4 of the big 70's Olds Toronados, it is hard to beat the ride quality of the big GM cars.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2023, 10:31:25 AM »
You have that right. I do know there's something special about driving a Cadillac. The feeling is just like right. Advertising slogans of days past nailed it. Cadillac's are More Eloquent Than Words Can Express.

Indeed the DTS is a fine car. But somehow I never gave them a chance. It's my rear wheel drive syndrome. My 2007 CTS-V was the last “car” model I purchased from Cadillac other than my Brass Era Cadillac's. It's a Rear wheel drive with an amazing 6.0 Liter V-8 coupled with a six speed manual transmission that's lightning fast. The rest have been two Escalade's a 2000 and a 2006.