Author Topic: Every Mile is an Adventure: 1964 Buick Riviera..  (Read 1334 times)

Offline oldcarguy

Every Mile is an Adventure: 1964 Buick Riviera..
« on: November 17, 2023, 06:56:20 PM »

The 1964 Buick Riviera advertising slogan was Every Mile is an Adventure.

Buick introduced one of the most stunningly and beautifully designed cars ever. Yet Today it remains timeless and a benchmark of elegant in automotive styling. Introduced in the 1963 model year and ended in 1999. The Riviera Boattail model produced 1971 to 1973 became extremely popular today. Sadly newer versions fell out of flavor. Overall the Rivera had both urban elegance with performance to match. 

I purchased this Riviera and finished restorations in time for my 50th class reunion. What a more fitting car to show up in...

At the Hershey meet. I picked up the four OEM stainless steel spoked wheel covers with spinners along with the Riviera emblem in the center. They were NOS in factory packaging. One of the best fines in my life...

Quad Bucket seat no less! Stunning white interior.

The label on the air cleaner was marked "WildCat 465" But the standard V8 engine was 425 cubic inches that produced 345 Hp and torque of 465. Mine has the OEM Buick Carter AFB four barrel Carburetor. Option at the time was two four barrels...

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: Every Mile is an Adventure: 1964 Buick Riviera..
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 01:00:43 PM »
That is one sharp automobile!  ;)
boop/bop/beep

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2023, 05:20:01 PM »
Love the design!
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline muddy

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2023, 08:25:27 PM »
I'm sure it's been mentioned.... But how many old cars do you have???!!!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offline john k

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2023, 08:56:26 PM »
The 63-66 Rivieras were such a departure in styling,  possibly matched by their attention to detail in assembly.  Worked on several at the time.  Those Buick engines were really tough too.  I got beat out of buying a 1972 with that distinctive back window, really hated missing that one, even though I was driving a 72 Skylark GS at the time.  I know the feeling of finding NOS parts for a project.  Last week a set of hubcaps and beauty ring's I needed for my 97 Chevy 2500 happened my way.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2023, 01:42:05 PM »

It all depends on what the definition of "Old" is ... In my book the Horseless Carriage defines "Old" as 1915 and older. In that case I own only fours cars that fall into that classification. Two Cadillac's and Two Buick's.

On the the other hand the AACA defines an antique car as being 25 years old or older. That's a model year 1998 and older. That's a whole different story. Covering over 80 plus more years. Needless to say I've acquired many more in that time period. More than I care to count. Indeed I have that defective car collecting gene.

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2023, 06:56:54 PM »

It all depends on what the definition of "Old" is ... In my book the Horseless Carriage defines "Old" as 1915 and older. In that case I own only fours cars that fall into that classification. Two Cadillac's and Two Buick's.

On the the other hand the AACA defines an antique car as being 25 years old or older. That's a model year 1998 and older. That's a whole different story. Covering over 80 plus more years. Needless to say I've acquired many more in that time period. More than I care to count. Indeed I have that defective car collecting gene.
So I drive an antique to work everyday?!

1995 Oldsmobile

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2023, 12:34:32 PM »
In my mind it makes sense to drive an older cars today. Besides having a low purchase price. They are far simpler less expensive to keep the running.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2023, 12:46:48 PM »
In my mind it makes sense to drive an older cars today. Besides having a low purchase price. They are far simpler less expensive to keep the running.

I could not agree more! I recall having this same discussion with a co-worker in the late 1980's.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline muddy

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2023, 05:53:33 PM »
Exactly why I have it. Simple hand tools and diy knowledge and your set.