Author Topic: Early Brass Era Car Enthusiast...  (Read 425 times)

Offline oldcarguy

Early Brass Era Car Enthusiast...
« on: February 01, 2024, 07:21:27 PM »
The first horseless carriages were classified as Brass Era cars. Manufactured between 1890 to 1915. These cars were labeled Brass Era because so much brass was used on them. Such as radiators, trim, windshields, and lights. There were powered by electric, steam, and gasoline. Owning a Brass Era vehicle is more about embracing a simpler and more  exciting time in the early development of the automobile. Many car enthusiasts won't touch one with a ten foot pole. Let alone using steam or electric powered. Notwithstanding there are some historical buffs and gear heads such as I that thrive to experience the past less the steam powered cars. Enjoying the affliction of early motoring at its' best! 

Below are an examples of three early steam powered cars. Owned at the time by a local car enthusiast friend that has passed away several years ago. We don't actually own these cars. We are more like caretakers then passed them onto others.

1899 Locomobile. And went to the internal combustion engine in 1904

1905 White Steam Car. Spin off of the White Sewing Machine Co. Set the speed record that year at 74 MPH. Last year steam powered 1911, then went to gasoline.

1906 Stanley Steamer, Made by the Stanley Brothers and best known steam powered car. Last year 1924

Along with many other gas powered early cars, he collected most everything old. Very interesting assortment of spark plugs... This old timer didn't do anything in a small way

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Early Brass Era Car Enthusiast...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 09:32:59 PM »
Beautiful and fascinating to me. Though from a simpler time I think doing drive train work (particularly the engine) would be a challenge for normal ICE mechanics.

Obviously,  an HVAC guy knowledgeable with steam would have a leg up on an ICE guy on those old steam powered rigs.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline john k

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2024, 08:49:53 AM »
In 1899, would have been many more guys already familiar with steam, maintaining a boiler, lighting them off.  Plus they were quiet.  That spark plug collection is just unbelievable today.  Would have liked to see that mans shop back in the day.  One thing necessary back then was a thorough understanding of the internal combustion engine. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2024, 09:27:28 AM »
 :cool2:

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2024, 05:00:36 PM »
Fascinating - I find early automotive technology a very interesting history with many very creative engineers.

One of my favorites is the Knox, with an early air cooled engine that was referred to as the porcupine.

Thanks for sharing all these great vehicles.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2024, 10:35:11 AM »
I also find the early brass era cars fascinating. No two are alike in design and or mechanical designs. Each unique to itself. There were  about 3,000 automobile companies that existed in the USA. Sadly in the early 1900s, the U.S. saw the rise of the Big Three automakers, Ford, GM, and Chrysler. Though many of the no name forgotten companies were responsible for the vast amount of innovations.. Knox build the first fire engine and first to install hydraulic brakes in 1915...

Here is the oldest car that I had a hand in restoring. It's a 1902 Westfield build by CJ Morse Manufacturing Company Also made in Westfield Massachusetts. Only four were sold. No doubt it's the only existing one left today. After a no expense spared restoration to Concour's Quality, actually it was over restored. I had the pleasure taking it to many shows around the USA.

The engine is a vertical 150 cubic inch two cylinder with overhead valves..

Offline john k

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2024, 10:40:53 PM »
Restored to the N-th degree is right.  Hate to think of the time and dollars are sitting there. The engineering in the pre-1912 cars is fascinating.  My 1919 Chilton Auto Directory lists some 600+ manufacturers in the US.  Some were just a name and a stock swindle.  So much history and dreams.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2024, 08:17:13 AM »
Fascinating - I find early automotive technology a very interesting history with many very creative engineers.

One of my favorites is the Knox, with an early air cooled engine that was referred to as the porcupine.

Thanks for sharing all these great vehicles.

Interesting!
That porcupine design reminds me of an "innovative" coil design introduced by Trane in the 90's I think called the "spine fin". Rather than have rows of beer-can thin aluminum fins, they utilized a strip of aluminum whiskers that jut out and glued it to the copper tubes. Increased heat transfer area, was more tolerant of dirt and debris, and could survive minor impact damage that would crush the older fins. Really helped sell their heat pumps.