Author Topic: No more Tyson chicken for me  (Read 234 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

No more Tyson chicken for me
« on: March 19, 2024, 10:55:53 PM »
I can't find an article to link that isn't just twisting the outrage over this for the purpose of anti conservative propaganda,  but Tyson just closed their factory in Iowa so they could go to New York and offer jobs and lawyers to illegal immigrants.

It will be tough to avoid them completely because you never know who supplies the chicken to a restaurant...etc, but I definitely will not be buying any Tyson products at the grocery store.

They took around 1500 jobs away from Americans just so they could hire illegal immigrants and pay them less money, and it's absolutely disgusting.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

Re: No more Tyson chicken for me
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 07:51:39 AM »
Quick google search said story is not completely true and was propagated by far right conservative group. 

This is why I have no use for either far right or far left groups.  They will twist and distort facts to further their agenda. 

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 12:30:01 PM »
Quick google search said story is not completely true and was propagated by far right conservative group. 

This is why I have no use for either far right or far left groups.  They will twist and distort facts to further their agenda.
From what I saw they were the ones twisting it to seem like there was less too it than there is, but I will have to investigate more and piece together all the things that are true.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline zeke

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 01:49:03 PM »
Funny, the Tyson closure in Iowa is a pork plant.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 05:47:00 PM »
a while back there was an article in one of my farm journals about the chicken industry. It runs off immigrants, mostly illegals, regardless of where the processing plant is.  One of the business managers stated that he would have to double the pay to get legal citizens to work there and the cost of chicken would be on par with beef.

There was an article in Drovers a few months back about some new beef slaughter houses in the works. One in north central Texas was planning on killing up to 5000 head per day. The article was really skeptical on where the cattle would come from. I wonder more about where they going to find people to staff it.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2024, 07:37:32 AM »
With all the reporting laws for workers, I am surprised that a big corp can get away with mass illegals workers.  Sure some will slip through the cracks but I would think the fines would kill them if enforced. 

Offline slip knot

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 05:40:46 PM »
Phil, Agriculture has used immigrant labor forever. Most of the temp visa's issued are for ag. And big ag has lots of political influence. There is a big meat packer in Corpus that regularly overloads the utilities leaving the facility. The EPA turns a blind eye to it.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2024, 01:43:24 PM »
I know immigrant labor has been used forever in ag and the ones with temp visas are legal.

Just surprised if a big corp can get away with a lot of illegals on the payroll long term.  I thought every hire had to be documented to be legal to work in this country unless that law is ignored and it may well be.

And the temp visa lottery is one reason I have no use for either party.  We need more temp visas, I think most would agree.  I know in Maryland, crabs don't get picked if the packing houses can't get temp help.  Such a simple problem to solve in immigration reform and it hasn't happened.  No, they want every solution to be lumped in with huge bills that can't make it out of committee and NOTHING changes.

Offline walrus

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2024, 03:58:19 PM »
I think you will find more that the AG industry uses migrant labor, unskilled labor in the construction industry is pretty ripe with new "Americans"  . The big solar facilities you see are put together by migrants. In Maine you have to be a licensed electrician to install panels so they truck in labor on Friday, put thousand of panels up on Sat and Sun and ship them out while electricians do the hook up when inspectors might be around.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2024, 05:50:16 PM »
In my area the illegals run the trades. You will find very few americans work in the home building industry anymore. Even commercial construction is majority migrants. in 2014 we built a new $20million + treatment facility. During the preconstruction meetings the General contractor stated that they would close each year the week of Christmas and new years and no one would be available if anything went wrong. All of his workers went back home to Mexico for the holidays and if the told one to stay they would all quit. So they got two weeks off.

I hired an electrician some years back. A few weeks into the job he was called to HR because his name didn't match his SS# I figured they would fire him but he showed back up later that day. I asked him how many SS#'s he had...3 different SS#'s for 3 different names. He had two wives too, one in the states and one back home in Mexico. But they weren't married to the same guy, different names and all. Jose was quite the character.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2024, 04:16:23 AM »
Go to SW Kansas out towards Dodge City and you might as well be in Mexico.  Actually,  even Wichita is pretty bad to anymore, but not nearly as much as that SW corner of Kansas. It's really bad. Big meatpacking plants draw them like flies to a rotting carcass!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!