Author Topic: Tool Boxes - What do you have  (Read 36488 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Tool Boxes - What do you have
« on: August 14, 2018, 10:32:53 PM »
This set is my main box. I have a Craftsman stack I also use and various top boxes and chests and a couple bottoms. I suppose I should consolidate it all but it's sort of evolved into use and now it's what I'm used to. Anyway - here is my set.

Top box is a KRA586 from 74

Middle box is a KRA429B dated 77

Bottom box is a KRA377D dated 73 with the optional KRA433 three drawer set in the bottom section  and KRA412 shelf.

I have keyed the locks the same and this thing bears a lot of weight. it really is a testament to well designed and build boxes. The drawers are all on slides - no ball bearings on this and yet they are smooth.

Lets see your boxes
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: Tool Boxes - What do you have
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 01:10:49 AM »
This is my main box, KR 655, 650 and I believe the side box is a KR 290.  Lots of room. 8)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 01:15:47 AM by Lookin4_67GalaxieConv »
boop/bop/beep

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 02:25:44 AM »
That is quite a nice set.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

• Ran when parked
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 06:34:04 AM »
Thank you.  I bought the top and bottom together for $750.  Later on I got the side box for $180 I think it was. 
boop/bop/beep

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 12:20:42 PM »
Just a classic setup and before boxes got insane expensive although in the day they were not cheap.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 06:52:29 PM »
Mid-80's 33" Craftsman Professional stack -- at the time it was called "Sears Best" in the catalog. This was a Waterloo sourced box.

The very common HF combo set -- early style with red krinkle finish

Traditional Craftsman stack with the deeper top and middle box combo (IIRC this stack is also Waterloo sourced)

Last is an import Excel box -- used for smaller body, paint, and sheet metal tools that sits right on the side of work bench.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 10:18:56 AM by goodfellow »

Offline BuckHenry

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 08:52:46 PM »
Do you have any more pics of that Craftsman professional stack? I've never seen that one before. In the mid 80s I would assume the quality was quite good.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 09:19:09 PM »
Sure BH -- here are some close-ups. BTW -- no ball bearing slides, only traditional friction slides with this combo set. 

• Ran when parked
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 09:36:29 PM »
Those must be pretty rare.  In all my years hunting toolboxes I don't know I've seen any?!
boop/bop/beep

Offline BuckHenry

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 09:51:06 PM »
Gold drawer pulls and pinstriping! Your in high cotton there, GF.
 8)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 08:40:18 AM »
Those must be pretty rare.  In all my years hunting toolboxes I don't know I've seen any?!

Gold drawer pulls and pinstriping! Your in high cotton there, GF.
 8)

It wasn't a popular model because of the price. It also came in a black livery along with the red color that you see in the pic. At the time (early to mid 80's) it was the biggest box Sears sold and I also had a 33" MAC MB910 and MB920. When I got a job overseas at that time my company would only move one box; hence I had to sell one of the sets. I chose to keep the Craftsman because of the front cover on the top chest and the fact that it was a lot sturdier than the MACs.

lostmind

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 09:56:55 AM »
Here's mine.  1971 Mac , bought used in 1974. The side box is a Beach, bought new in 1985.

The Mac was stolen from where I worked and hit the road in a police chase when it fell out of the Jeep they stole to haul it.

It's been painted three times , the beach once.

I earned my living with these until 9 years ago. The craftsman roller was added in the 90's to use as a work cart.

Offline highland512

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 04:03:13 PM »
Still using the HF cabinet I bought like 8 or 10 years ago. Its not as nice as the newer ones at the buffet now but it has done good for me and I dont plan on replacing it until I wear it out or give it to the little guy in the picture.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 06:08:58 PM »
Here's all my rollers and some top boxes. Upper center of pictures are distorted for some reason.
Craftsman stack and I like the grip-lock drawers as you don't have to jerk open the drawers like the new ones I saw at Lowes.
Kennedy stack holds nothing but machinist tools.
First CM stack I ever bought, mid drawer unit came out of wife's shop.
MAC MB75 that I still have to do some work on.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 06:10:32 PM »
MAC MB65 that will go on the 75 and an older Husky top box that came out of wife's shop.
MBC that I bought last month.
SnapOn KR-557A dated 1976 I bought last year with the 3 shelf end box. Still have to give the slides some attention.