Author Topic: Let's talk "Brass" --  (Read 17164 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Let's talk "Brass" --
« on: August 13, 2018, 10:06:12 PM »
Kinda unique these old hammers that I bought from MAC back in the 1970's. They will outlive me. I bought them as a set and they were expensive (relatively speaking), but they are one of the most useful tools in my shop.

Brass is pretty expensive right now -- these three (1lb, 2,lb, and 3.5lb) cost less than $90 back then. Probably over $200 now

Nice 3.5lb for heavy hitting on suspension pieces

2lb and 1lb

Offline kwoswalt99

Re: Let's talk "Brass" --
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 10:46:12 PM »
They look hardly used. I beat mine all to hell.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 11:22:13 PM »
$90 in 1975 calculates to a little over $450 today. Quite expensive.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 09:24:57 AM »
I cannot even imagine. I have wanted a brass hammer for years, but have had to settle for a couple of dead blow hammers instead.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2023, 12:12:45 AM »

UB,

I realize this is a really old thread, but I thought I would reply and make a suggestion. 

During 2023, I was able to pick up 4 brass or copper mallets with missing or broken handles.  Two of these mallets have brass heads, one has  plastic/brass heads, and one has copper heads. 

I was able to pick up 4 used wood handles of proper size at the same flea markets.  Between these four finished mallets I've got less than $25 in them.  They work, they're safe, they're a treat to use, and they are drop dead gorgeous.

I mention this because it's clear to me that the old mallet drawer can be stocked with great tools at reasonable prices.  And, there is the fun of finding and restoring these great tools and bringing them back to life and purpose.

Here's to a good 2024 full of great mallets!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 12:15:35 AM by lauver »
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2023, 05:50:57 AM »
Hey  -- great to see you back lauver. Always enjoy your insights into good 'ol tools.

Yeah, those brass beauties are looking a little rougher these days, but then again, so am I -- LOL. It's nice to find good vintage brass hammers and put them back in good usable shape. That said, HF has some real smokin' deals on old school wood handled brass a couple of times a year. If you're not too concerned about country of origin, then some of the Taiwanese and Chinese offerings are very useful.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2023, 10:56:43 AM »
Hey Gary, it is good to see you back.  How are the twins doing.  I assume they are out of school by now.

Offline john k

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2023, 11:40:13 AM »
I have 2 brass hammers,  used them for years.  At fleas, habitat, estate sales, I always search the tool areas first,  been lucky to acquire a nice set of ball pens, and blacksmith hammers  for pennies when compared to new.  20 minutes with a draw knife can turn old busted handles into custom ones that fit my hands.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2023, 04:45:48 PM »
I have a decent collection of (non ferrous), brass, alu, copper, lead, and poly/resin hammers in addition to the rubber kind. I can say I dont pass those up when I see them at yard sales, and the hammer drawer seems to prove that out.

Each one scratches it's own unique itch. 

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2023, 05:59:37 PM »
When i cleaned up my jobs shop i found 2 or 3 brass hammer heads with snapped off handles in the scrap pile i asked my dadwhat the story on them was and apparently the guy i replaced was hard on his hammers and when he broke the handle hed just buy a whole new hammer and scrap the remain so they got put in my box till i buy some handles

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2023, 07:49:26 PM »
WOW! Gary in the house! Man I would love to see more posts from you! I looked back at my old post too. Since then I got a very nice Snap-on hammer. I guess I will tell how, though I will likely get dogged hard for what I did. Several years ago I hauled some scrap to the  metal dump yard and like I always do perused the pile for goodies to haul home. That day I hit the motherlode. I loaded one or two five gallon buckets full of many Snap on, Blackhawk and Proto large wrenches,  specialty tools like nut crackers, taps and dies (all large sizes and USA made) large AT&SF marked chisels, and assorted other tools. One of those tools was a nice sized brass hammer. The hammer like other SO deadblow hammers I have had in the past had lost most of its plastic handle and other covering and was reduced to a partial handle with no plastic remaining on the head. At that time, I had a good in with a route driver so I turned it in for a replacement.  So ya, I will admit that I did what I have always agreed is unethical and turned in a tool that was not purchased by me for replacement.  Yup, I did wrong. Yes, I ended up with a very nice SO brass hammer to match my decent old brass punches none of which have ever seen hard use. Sadly, I don't regret it that much. I rationalize my lack of integrity by remembering several times through the years that I got less than satisfying results from Snap-on on returns of several tools that I had bought new and returned for warranty. I guess I still feel like I got some pay back for the times I felt they cheated me. Not right,  I know, but I still don't regret it. 

Gary, I hope you stick around! UB

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2023, 09:38:39 PM »
Gang,

It's good to be back and good to see this site is working again.

My twin girls have both graduated from college, both have jobs, and seem to be having fun in the house they share.  We're going up to see them for thanksgiving. I'll try to post a little more frequently in the near future.
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2023, 11:23:54 PM »
Man that would be great Gary! Have a safe and super Turkey day if we don't here from you again before  then!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2023, 06:22:11 AM »
Gang,

My twin girls have both graduated from college, both have jobs, and seem to be having fun in the house they share.  We're going up to see them for thanksgiving. I'll try to post a little more frequently in the near future.

Wow = graduated college! I remember when you used talk about them when they were in their "little girl" phase. Congrats Gary -- you raised two independent productive women. That's not so easy these days.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2023, 07:53:47 AM »
Gang,

Congrats on getting them through school, employed and out of the house :)