Author Topic: Damn you eBay  (Read 10898 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Damn you eBay
« on: January 22, 2019, 05:04:13 PM »
I was " just looking " ( I was lying to myself ) to see what kind of US made sets of 3/8 sockets were available at a decent price and this kept popping up in my searches.

I'm pretty sure it's all complete + a Snappy extension tossed in, with a counter offer of $47 and change shipped they got me.
The set doesn't look heavily used so I'm inclined to believe that the ratchet does indeed work smoothly as the seller describes.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 05:06:49 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Damn you eBay
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 07:37:56 PM »
The ratchet with the Star Trek selector switch is probably one that will retain a lot of collectability long term so it will always be a desirable ratchet.

Good to see you embracing the chrome side of your personality.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 08:11:00 PM »
The ratchet with the Star Trek selector switch is probably one that will retain a lot of collectability long term so it will always be a desirable ratchet.

Good to see you embracing the chrome side of your personality.
I knew the " butterfly " or " flying V " ratchets were collectable which is cool, but for me it'll just be a user. Taken care of like all my tools but still a user.

My 10 PC Chinese Craftsman set is perfectly usable, but the flying V's are just plain cooler regardless of where my current set is made.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 09:03:56 PM »
The ratchets a bit older than the box.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 09:28:03 PM »
Do you think this is probably not a crown logo box ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 12:23:33 AM »
I agree absolutely use it. But you also have something that will very likely always be desirable.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 12:57:47 AM »
I agree absolutely use it. But you also have something that will very likely always be desirable.
That's good to hear.

Boy let me tell ya, I can definitely see how some of the folks here get into collecting 1/4" sets.
There are plenty of nice ones available for a reasonable price right now.
If I didn't already have both my sets completed courtesy of you and the other members who helped me out with things I needed I'd go for one but I don't want to be a collector.
I may accumulate more 1/4" ratchets to find a favorite, but full sets I don't need.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 04:12:13 PM »
That's good to hear.

Boy let me tell ya, I can definitely see how some of the folks here get into collecting 1/4" sets.
There are plenty of nice ones available for a reasonable price right now.
If I didn't already have both my sets completed courtesy of you and the other members who helped me out with things I needed I'd go for one but I don't want to be a collector.
I may accumulate more 1/4" ratchets to find a favorite, but full sets I don't need.

Yeah, the crowd here sure doesn't help the savings account. :-[

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 04:17:11 PM »
You can NEVER have just one set -- you need multiples; at least that's what I'm told -- :)) :)) :))

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 05:48:11 PM »
Oh there were some cool old sets and they were affordable too, but there's tools I don't have which I need.

Btw can anyone tell me for sure or in more detail if this box would in fact go with what's in it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline mikef2316

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 06:35:08 PM »

I agree with this (except for the lack of apostrophe  :)) )

I have this exact box that came with a quick release ratchet, probably from 1977 plus or minus.  I don't think those plastic boxes were around with the flying V selector switch.

Mine came with the sockets - 3/8" to 3/4", a 3" extension and the ratchet.  I had to stop using it when the "latch" failed.  I never threw it away, I know exactly where it is.  Funny how sharp my memory is from back then, I couldn't tell you accurately what was in any socket kit I got last week!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 06:46:42 PM »

I agree with this (except for the lack of apostrophe  :)) )

I have this exact box that came with a quick release ratchet, probably from 1977 plus or minus.  I don't think those plastic boxes were around with the flying V selector switch.

Mine came with the sockets - 3/8" to 3/4", a 3" extension and the ratchet.  I had to stop using it when the "latch" failed.  I never threw it away, I know exactly where it is.  Funny how sharp my memory is from back then, I couldn't tell you accurately what was in any socket kit I got last week!
Did it have the crown logo like this one apparently has ?

I'll have it tomorrow and will be able to tell for sure.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 06:51:44 PM »
I've got that same box set. mine came with the RHFT crafty ratchet.

Offline mikef2316

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 08:31:17 PM »

Apparently not.  But it does have, "Tools that have earned the right to wear the name." under the logo.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 10:12:52 PM »

Apparently not.  But it does have, "Tools that have earned the right to wear the name." under the logo.
Interesting.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 08:11:42 AM »
If it needs an RHFT, I may have a spare one. Let me check when I get back in town on Sunday.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 09:53:45 AM »
If it needs an RHFT, I may have a spare one. Let me check when I get back in town on Sunday.
That would be cool to try out an RHFT, but I found another of the same flying V set listed in a crown logo Permanex case so I'm thinking it does in fact belong.

Maybe the Permanex cases came out in '66 or came out in '67 and there were still some Flying V's left.

Thanks for the offer,  after I get my boots bought ( trying for Monday ) I'd love to buy it off you.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 10:00:22 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2019, 10:21:00 PM »
Now I'm cursing " DAMN YOU USPS " it left my regional Sacramento distribution center 45 miles +/- away on Friday at 4:am and is still in transit.

This has happened to me before, when things leave at 2:am they arrive at the post office around 6:am and I have them that day, but quite often if they leave the distribution center at 4:am they end up delayed for some reason.
I don't know how 2 hours later becomes days, but it does.

As you can probably guess I'm wound like a clock when I'm awaiting packages  ;D
As I've been ordering more frequently It's calmed down a bit, but I've still got package fever.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2019, 09:21:47 AM »
Are you in Davis, Woodland? Or up in Yuba or Marysville?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2019, 12:16:37 PM »
Are you in Davis, Woodland? Or up in Yuba or Marysville?
Colusa county, a real dinky little town called Arbuckle.
Haven't been to anywhere except woodland in a while with all the back roads flooded which we take to get to colusa or yuba City.

I think I'm done with 1/4" ratchets right now, I've got a set on its way now that I have to start trying  out to see if I'm going to keep it .
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 12:20:31 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 05:57:43 PM »
Heh, I know where Arbuckle is. The farmers out that way used to send me all the push/pull Cablecraft cables to replace when I worked at Lehr. My wife grew up in Glenn Co. just north of there in Orland.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2019, 08:12:02 PM »
Heh, I know where Arbuckle is. The farmers out that way used to send me all the push/pull Cablecraft cables to replace when I worked at Lehr. My wife grew up in Glenn Co. just north of there in Orland.
My aunt and uncle live in Orland.
They all grew up in williams, theres a flea market there with the occasional tool but it's nothing like it was when I was a squirt.
I  my grandmother used to go and hang out with her Yahtzee friends, she'd give me a couple dollars and set me free.
I usually spent it on as many of those strawberry bon bon hard candies as it would get me.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Rickster

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2019, 06:28:27 PM »
I vote we officially change the Craftsman Flying V ratchet name to the Craftsman Starfleet Ratchet!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2019, 06:44:20 PM »
I vote we officially change the Craftsman Flying V ratchet name to the Craftsman Starfleet Ratchet!
I'm not a sci-fi kind of guy, but that still sounds better than Butterfly ratchet.
Always lookin' to learn