Author Topic: Tell me about the PROTO 5249  (Read 9503 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Tell me about the PROTO 5249
« on: February 22, 2019, 08:35:15 PM »

I just had a winning bid of $5.50 for one on eBay because I want to try one out, but I read they they've got a 24 tooth mechanism and that sounds kind of coarse even by my standards.

How do they compare to a standard Craftsman 3/8 in use ?
Putting that HF mechanics cart together for my dad is the first time I can recall where space was too tight for my ratchet to operate, and it's really got me thinking.
Now this was only 1/2" fasteners and the 1/4" Indestro had plenty of room, but it has me conscious of how fine or course my ratchets are to a minor degree at least.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline m_fumich

Re: Tell me about the PROTO 5249
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 08:41:23 PM »
Compared to the current model 3/8 Craftsman ratchet? The Craftsman is garbage in my opinion. Even when it was still American made it was junk. Put too much pressure on it and it reverses direction. Losing the current model Craftsman ratchet was the only good thing about all my tools getting stolen. I can’t speak about the Proto although I think they’re great. My Duralast ratchet was better than the Craftsman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mrbill

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 08:52:59 PM »
I have a Proto 5249 and S-K 45170 that I use frequently.  They are completely usable as evidenced by the fact that both designs have been in production for longer than MY 56 years. The S-K is my favorite and you can turn it into a fine tooth with one of S-K's new ratchet rebuild kits.  The Craftsman ratchets always seemed too short to me and I probably have nerve damage in my hand from where the flat handle pushed into my palm - so not a fan.  I've also broken the mechanism in two of them by just applying torque on a rusty bolt - and these were the US-made ones.

Bill
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 09:17:59 PM by mrbill »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 09:15:09 PM »
Compared to the current model 3/8 Craftsman ratchet? The Craftsman is garbage in my opinion. Even when it was still American made it was junk. Put too much pressure on it and it reverses direction. Losing the current model Craftsman ratchet was the only good thing about all my tools getting stolen. I can’t speak about the Proto although I think they’re great. My Duralast ratchet was better than the Craftsman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm really just talking about the degree of swing they have, it was my Flying V 3/8 that didn't have room to operate in a few places when assembling that toolbox and I'm wondering if maybe the proto has the same kind of arch swing to it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 10:17:42 PM »
Well, there are 360 degrees in a circle and with 24 teeth that gives you a 15-degree swing wich each tooth. Not the smallest arc, but how often do you only use one click on a ratchet?  Then again, the Proto has a very slim head, which comes in handy at times. Also, it is very strong ratchet.

There is a reason they have been around since the '30s.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 11:24:16 PM »
Well, there are 360 degrees in a circle and with 24 teeth that gives you a 15-degree swing wich each tooth. Not the smallest arc, but how often do you only use one click on a ratchet?  Then again, the Proto has a very slim head, which comes in handy at times. Also, it is very strong ratchet.

There is a reason they have been around since the '30s.
That really puts things into perspective, thanks.

At the end of the day there are many things I like about the design and I'm only paying $10 shipped so I really can't loose, the condition seems decent and it should clean up real well.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 11:36:16 PM »
I’ve got enough Proto pear heads laying around to outfit a small army. They are 24 tooth, and the heads are wide. They are an industrial ratchet and aren’t going to wow you in a tight spot under the hood.

However, they’ve been making them basically the same way for going on 100 years. There aren’t many situations (maybe not ANY) where you can have a ratchet made before WWII, and one made last week, where the parts are interchangeable. There’s a reason for that, and it isn’t because they’re shitty. They’re smooth for a 24T and one you put a few miles on it, backdrag is almost nothing.

I grew up with Proto pear heads, so I guess they are the standard by which I judge all other ratchets. I’ve got I don’t know how many ratchets (75 ish). Everything from Chinese shit to $150 Mac Axis. The Mac’s are certainly the nicest ratchets I own, but when I’m doing some shitty, oily, nasty, or dirty job, the good old Proto is my first reach. You’ll appreciate them anywhere there’s space to work and the really shine doing suspension or undercarriage work. 

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 11:42:10 PM »
I’ve got enough Proto pear heads laying around to outfit a small army. They are 24 tooth, and the heads are wide. They are an industrial ratchet and aren’t going to wow you in a tight spot under the hood.

However, they’ve been making them basically the same way for going on 100 years. There aren’t many situations (maybe not ANY) where you can have a ratchet made before WWII, and one made last week, where the parts are interchangeable. There’s a reason for that, and it isn’t because they’re shitty. They’re smooth for a 24T and one you put a few miles on it, backdrag is almost nothing.

I grew up with Proto pear heads, so I guess they are the standard by which I judge all other ratchets. I’ve got I don’t know how many ratchets (75 ish). Everything from Chinese shit to $150 Mac Axis. The Mac’s are certainly the nicest ratchets I own, but when I’m doing some shitty, oily, nasty, or dirty job, the good old Proto is my first reach. You’ll appreciate them anywhere there’s space to work and the really shine doing suspension or undercarriage work. 

Well said Travis. I like my Proto pear heads but my go to ratchets are a set of 90T Kobalts. I will grab the Protos for the stubborn fasteners though.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 05:22:39 AM »

When you put it that way it sounds like I've got an American icon on it's way  :)
My only real previous PROTO experience is with the old round head 3/8 flex my dad gave me, and the only thing I don't like about it is how it does not hold positions worth a crap.
I don't know if it's just worn out, but I'll be glad to have something better to represent PROTO.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 10:23:36 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 09:14:09 AM »
I have a Proto 5249 and S-K 45170 that I use frequently.  They are completely usable as evidenced by the fact that both designs have been in production for longer than MY 56 years. The S-K is my favorite and you can turn it into a fine tooth with one of S-K's new ratchet rebuild kits.  The Craftsman ratchets always seemed too short to me and I probably have nerve damage in my hand from where the flat handle pushed into my palm - so not a fan.  I've also broken the mechanism in two of them by just applying torque on a rusty bolt - and these were the US-made ones.

Bill

Agreed with everything you've said, Bill. Heck, we could be brothers! :D

I've been back and forth on the fine tooth thing. The S-K roundheads at around 45 teeth have done well for me. Sure, 24 tooth rats are a bit coarse, but have their place. (My old Herbrand pearheads have the lowest back drag of anything I've handled). And fine tooth tools can also be useful (I have a S-K TUFF 1 for that). I'd have to say for 1/4" drive fine tooth stands out for me in my work. In 3/8" 40-45 teeth is just peachy.
But I could see where on modern cars a 120 tooth, long bent flexhead would be a requirement. ;D

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 10:05:28 AM »
It all depends on what you are working on. I never liked working on my daily drivers, even more so now that I can afford a good truck. So I don't, really. (I was also never an auto mechanic) The last car I enjoyed working on was the '63 Corvair, and that was a little cramped compared to most of the cars from that era. All I had at the time was a Craftsman RHFT, which did the job. But when I did the suspension on my Dakota, I used a Proto long handle 1/2" 5450 which was perfect. When I was doing AC, it was a Proto 3/8" 5249 that was brought up on the roofs. Never missed a beat with that.

Now I probably have 40-50 ratchets from 1/4 to 3/4, and I grab my nut drivers.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 01:22:56 PM »
You guys are making me feel bad for ever having questioned this classic PROTO ratchet  :'(
Nah! If you don't ask you'll never learn.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline highland512

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 04:20:13 PM »
If shits really starting to hit the fan on fastener removal this is what I grab.

How the handle is not bent I don’t know but it has made many bolts say uncle.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 06:10:59 PM »
I used to use the aforementioned Herbrand pearhead for turning over the Toyota motor to line up the gear for inserting the distributor and timing it. Very little room between the pulley and radiator - the Herbrand was thin enough for a 1/2" drive and I had no worries about hurting it.
I still have the ratchet - can't say that for the truck.

No question is a dumb question, hickory. I'd say have a group of ratchets with different teeth count, flex or no, long and short. You never know when one will solve a problem - and it gives you an excuse to buy more ratchets!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 06:16:04 PM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 06:44:28 PM »
I used to use the aforementioned Herbrand pearhead for turning over the Toyota motor to line up the gear for inserting the distributor and timing it. Very little room between the pulley and radiator - the Herbrand was thin enough for a 1/2" drive and I had no worries about hurting it.
I still have the ratchet - can't say that for the truck.

No question is a dumb question, hickory. I'd say have a group of ratchets with different teeth count, flex or no, long and short. You never know when one will solve a problem - and it gives you an excuse to buy more ratchets!
An excuse is always good to have.
I wanted one so I found one for a good price , but to have some kind of legitimate answer when someone says" you don't need all these " or " why do you need all these " can't hurt  :)
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 07:02:59 PM »
I got into the Proto XL ratchets before I got into the original style, as strange as that sounds.

Only have 2, a well-worn Proto LA 5449 that is smoother than silk slathered with lard. The 2nd is an unused looking Plvmb 4749, not quite as slick but it's immaculate so it's a display piece anyway.

Keep your eyes peeled for the 5250 and 5450, they are 11" 3/8 And 16" 1/2. To me, longer ratchets more useful than std length. But that's JMO.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 07:05:20 PM by Davethorik »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 07:34:38 PM »
I got into the Proto XL ratchets before I got into the original style, as strange as that sounds.

Only have 2, a well-worn Proto LA 5449 that is smoother than silk slathered with lard. The 2nd is an unused looking Plvmb 4749, not quite as slick but it's immaculate so it's a display piece anyway.

Keep your eyes peeled for the 5250 and 5450, they are 11" 3/8 And 16" 1/2. To me, longer ratchets more useful than std length. But that's JMO.
Sounds like the perfect upgrade from my floppy proto flex, they're reasonably priced new but I'll keep an eye out on eBay for a reasonably priced used one.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 08:15:02 PM »
Darn, you made all 4 of my ratchets cry .....

Pep :-\
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 04:04:42 PM »
Got it about an hour ago, it cleaned up great and with the lube it's very smooth.
I didn't know that C Bartlett put his name in it but so what, it doesn't hurt anything.

pnc bank locations near me
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2019, 04:37:32 PM »
These are smooth action and nice to use. The head sometimes is a little big to fit in somewhere but overall a really nice ratchet.

Proto still makes kits and Urrea (Proto Mexico) still made kits (at least still did when I ordered parts a couple years ago).
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 04:56:30 PM »
Looks really good on the one side. That is kind of crappy if the seller didn't say it had owner's marks on it. You got a good classic pear head there so enjoy it.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2019, 05:06:42 PM »
Looks really good on the one side. That is kind of crappy if the seller didn't say it had owner's marks on it. You got a good classic pear head there so enjoy it.
It was sold " as is " but yeah he didn't say it had a name on it.

It reminds me of my grandfather though, he had a number of flea market tools with names on them and he didn't care.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 08:44:33 PM »
Most of my 3/8 sockets are Craftsman and they're kind of hard to get on and off.

I expect that I'll probably acquire more 3/8 sockets in the future , but for now I guess this ratchet wont be seeing a ton of use.
Always lookin' to learn