Author Topic: Walden 3150M  (Read 12308 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Walden 3150M
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 10:31:55 PM »
[snip] but I can already see how easy it is to start collecting them .

Easier to start than to stop.

Want to stop? Put your wife in charge of the tool fund!  :))
Im still young and single, but I think logging out of eBay will help a little.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2019, 10:54:39 PM »

Want to stop? Put your wife in charge of the tool fund!  :))

No no desire to stop and besides there are a few more I need...
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 07:39:45 AM »
I had decided I would stop collecting ratchets when I reached 500, but I recently noticed I have 581. :)

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 10:05:34 AM »
I have slowed my tool buying way down and I haven't done ebay in years. It helped that my friend moved his pawn shop to Idaho and his shop was where I bought many tools. I keep my eyes open for cool tools or ones that I need but that is about it.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 08:47:59 PM »
I probably won't be dissappointed with the Walden 1/2" ratchet I've got coming, but had i known about the " return " option before it had shipped I probably would've done so.

It's just that this was an impulse buy that I really didn't need, not that I really need another 1/4" ratchet but I have more interest in them currently and that's what I thought it was.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2019, 01:34:21 PM »
I saw these on eBay being sold by the seller that is selling off tools for Alloy Artifacts and I couldn't resist them. The larger ratchet  is 3/8" drive and the smaller is a regular 1/4" drive ratchet. The 3/8" flex handle is unusual in that the handle is designed to accept a cheater bar. What was Walden thinking?
-Don

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2019, 01:39:05 PM »
Here are the ratchets after disassembly, cleaning and lubrication.
-Don

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2019, 02:13:55 PM »
Here are the ratchets after disassembly, cleaning and lubrication.
-Don
Real cool.

I should have my Walden 1/2" ratchet within the hour.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2019, 07:29:59 PM »
Nice snag, Don!

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2019, 11:30:45 PM »
I said to myself once, “I’ve got all the tools I really NEED”. That was many, many, UPS deliveries, flea market trips, and impulse buys ago.

As your capabilities grow so will your desire to expand your skills. As your skills grow, your wants and “needs” will to. Your tastes will evolve. Some things that interest you now will no longer amuse you and you’ll unboundedly buy some shit where you’ll almost instantly question the logic behind the purchase. Some asshole will post a killer deal on here and even though you didn’t really need 36 bottles of Tap Magic, there they’ll sit. Who the hell needs 581 ratchets? Nobody needs 581 ratchets. The Armies of mid-sized European nations operate with less ratchets than that, but here a man makes such a statement and nobody doubts it or even bats an eye.

Soon enough you’ll be watching for the brown truck hoping to make a discrete transfer before the Mrs. catches on. Then one day you’ll look around and wonder how in the hell you ended up with all this stuff. You’ll sell some things here and there, but you’ll just use the money to buy new tools that are better suited to your current interest. There’s no turning back now. It’s like banging heroine or buying a timeshare, it’s easy to start, but damn near impossible to get out of.

My advice? Stay off the tool trucks and marry an understanding woman who knows about your addiction up front.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2019, 12:11:10 AM »
I said to myself once, “I’ve got all the tools I really NEED”. That was many, many, UPS deliveries, flea market trips, and impulse buys ago.

As your capabilities grow so will your desire to expand your skills. As your skills grow, your wants and “needs” will to. Your tastes will evolve. Some things that interest you now will no longer amuse you and you’ll unboundedly buy some shit where you’ll almost instantly question the logic behind the purchase. Some asshole will post a killer deal on here and even though you didn’t really need 36 bottles of Tap Magic, there they’ll sit. Who the hell needs 581 ratchets? Nobody needs 581 ratchets. The Armies of mid-sized European nations operate with less ratchets than that, but here a man makes such a statement and nobody doubts it or even bats an eye.

Soon enough you’ll be watching for the brown truck hoping to make a discrete transfer before the Mrs. catches on. Then one day you’ll look around and wonder how in the hell you ended up with all this stuff. You’ll sell some things here and there, but you’ll just use the money to buy new tools that are better suited to your current interest. There’s no turning back now. It’s like banging heroine or buying a timeshare, it’s easy to start, but damn near impossible to get out of.

My advice? Stay off the tool trucks and marry an understanding woman who knows about your addiction up front.
Always have and always will have a thing for knives and airguns ( nothing fancy, just the classic American pumpers and some Daisy bb slingers ), so it can't all be spent on tools but it's just so much easier to justify a ratchet or some other small purchase here or there.
My plan is just to find a few ratchets in each size that I really like, once I've tried the common styles I can evaluate what I like and go from there.
Sounds impossible but I think I can make it happen.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2019, 10:53:26 AM »
...My plan is just to find a few ratchets in each size that I really like, once I've tried the common styles I can evaluate what I like and go from there...

Good plan. I always tried to "borrow" a tool and use it to see if I liked it. This worked especially well with my first cordless drill. Borrowed a Makita, Panasonic, Milwaukee, B&D, etc. from co-workers before finally settling on the Makita 9.6.

I have always preferred round head rats with round knurled handles. My first ratchet was an S-K 45170, because my dad had S-K tools. So, when I bought my first socket set, S-K was what I bought. About 4 years later secured a Thorsen 77 roundhead for $1. Every ratchet after those has had to better the feel, action, fit, and durability. Never really got into 90+ teeth, flex head, pear head, Craftsman handles. Just my preference. Though now I have several designs that for one reason or another fit a particular bill. So, I'd say your plan is sound.

And you always have us guys to help out with advice.  (Hint hint, buy S-K!) :))

Offline crankshaftdan II

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2019, 10:12:36 AM »

OH!   That really struck a nerve-sure there are several people on here that this applies to-including myself.

Offline mikef2316

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2019, 03:31:03 PM »

I find myself buying tools that at one point in the past, in my more tool poor (and money poor) days would have saved me some time.  Like if there was one job that I did 20 years ago where one thin crow's foot would have saved me some time, well I'll buy a set each of Metric and fractional, even if I don't remember what the job was.  And of course I don't have that car anymore anyway.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2019, 03:55:03 PM »

I find myself buying tools that at one point in the past, in my more tool poor (and money poor) days would have saved me some time.  Like if there was one job that I did 20 years ago where one thin crow's foot would have saved me some time, well I'll buy a set each of Metric and fractional, even if I don't remember what the job was.  And of course I don't have that car anymore anyway.

Sounds perfectly normal to me.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.