Author Topic: Walden 3150M  (Read 12534 times)

Offline bonneyman

Re: Walden 3150M
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2019, 05:13:48 PM »
I said to myself once, “I’ve got all the tools I really NEED”. That was many, many, UPS deliveries, flea market trips, and impulse buys ago.

As your capabilities grow so will your desire to expand your skills. As your skills grow, your wants and “needs” will to. Your tastes will evolve. Some things that interest you now will no longer amuse you and you’ll unboundedly buy some shit where you’ll almost instantly question the logic behind the purchase. Some asshole will post a killer deal on here and even though you didn’t really need 36 bottles of Tap Magic, there they’ll sit. Who the hell needs 581 ratchets? Nobody needs 581 ratchets. The Armies of mid-sized European nations operate with less ratchets than that, but here a man makes such a statement and nobody doubts it or even bats an eye.

Soon enough you’ll be watching for the brown truck hoping to make a discrete transfer before the Mrs. catches on. Then one day you’ll look around and wonder how in the hell you ended up with all this stuff. You’ll sell some things here and there, but you’ll just use the money to buy new tools that are better suited to your current interest. There’s no turning back now. It’s like banging heroine or buying a timeshare, it’s easy to start, but damn near impossible to get out of.

My advice? Stay off the tool trucks and marry an understanding woman who knows about your addiction up front.

I find myself buying tools that at one point in the past, in my more tool poor (and money poor) days would have saved me some time.  Like if there was one job that I did 20 years ago where one thin crow's foot would have saved me some time, well I'll buy a set each of Metric and fractional, even if I don't remember what the job was.  And of course I don't have that car anymore anyway.

Don't get me started on car tools. I worked so hard to accumulate tools for my Toyota pick-up (timing light, carb tools, distributor tools, etc.) and in a split second the car was gone. And my other vehicles are EFI! Dang!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2019, 06:33:58 PM »
I said to myself once, “I’ve got all the tools I really NEED”. That was many, many, UPS deliveries, flea market trips, and impulse buys ago.

As your capabilities grow so will your desire to expand your skills. As your skills grow, your wants and “needs” will to. Your tastes will evolve. Some things that interest you now will no longer amuse you and you’ll unboundedly buy some shit where you’ll almost instantly question the logic behind the purchase. Some asshole will post a killer deal on here and even though you didn’t really need 36 bottles of Tap Magic, there they’ll sit. Who the hell needs 581 ratchets? Nobody needs 581 ratchets. The Armies of mid-sized European nations operate with less ratchets than that, but here a man makes such a statement and nobody doubts it or even bats an eye.

Soon enough you’ll be watching for the brown truck hoping to make a discrete transfer before the Mrs. catches on. Then one day you’ll look around and wonder how in the hell you ended up with all this stuff. You’ll sell some things here and there, but you’ll just use the money to buy new tools that are better suited to your current interest. There’s no turning back now. It’s like banging heroine or buying a timeshare, it’s easy to start, but damn near impossible to get out of.

My advice? Stay off the tool trucks and marry an understanding woman who knows about your addiction up front.

I find myself buying tools that at one point in the past, in my more tool poor (and money poor) days would have saved me some time.  Like if there was one job that I did 20 years ago where one thin crow's foot would have saved me some time, well I'll buy a set each of Metric and fractional, even if I don't remember what the job was.  And of course I don't have that car anymore anyway.
I'm accumulating tools because I now can, but I do pretty much have most all basic essentials at this point.
Now all I can really say is that I don't necessarily not need it. ;D
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2019, 07:23:28 PM »

Tool sets are like waistlines - whether you like it or not, they both tend to grow with time. :D

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2019, 09:21:22 PM »
I feel it is perfectly fine to buy tools you may need some day. When you need it you save plenty of time over having to run somewhere to buy one. At least that is what I tell myself every single time I buy tools I don't need at the moment. ;D

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2019, 10:38:56 PM »
"No one needs 581 ratchets."

Lies! LIES!

I need the 40-50 socket sets tucked away in my basement.

But seriously, my tools have made me money, saved me money and made my hours pleasant. They are a hobby, and as long as you keep your spending in hand it is all for the good.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2019, 01:55:35 PM »
No lies, and I'm not counting the ratchets in my 539 socket sets.  :)