Author Topic: JET 3/8" ratchet  (Read 5206 times)

Offline bonneyman

JET 3/8" ratchet
« on: March 02, 2019, 12:41:14 PM »
Was digging thru an old socket set and "rediscovered" this fine tooth rat. 60 teeth, sliding pawl, quick release, very small head size. And - though I don't usually like polished handles - the dimples on this one fit my hand perfectly. Took it apart, shares the same mechanism as the FACOM/SK Tuff 1 style ratchets.
Normally I'd say this is a foreign-made jobbie but dang it almost seems too nice for Asia. Anybody have a clue?

Offline bonneyman

Re: JET 3/8" ratchet
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 12:42:03 PM »
Here it is next to some other smaller-head rats.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 01:13:59 PM »
Jet would be asian but most jet stuff i have seen is good quality.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 01:48:21 PM »
I'm also inclined to say Asian (either Japanese or Taiwanese). It seems the ratchet is still made, but mostly sold in the Canadian market.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 02:14:02 PM »
The handle is kind of a shameless copy of the classic Snap-on handle. The machined groves are a little different but very similar.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 05:10:19 PM »
The handle is kind of a shameless copy of the classic Snap-on handle. The machined groves are a little different but very similar.

Well, they say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

I'm impressed with the quality of the mechanism and finish. Applied some Rem Oil and back into the rotation! For the time being I'll stick it with some extensions I have made by Titan. They seem to fit together well.

What other accessories did they make? Or sockets. Would be interested in a catalog link if someone has it.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 07:01:35 PM »

........................What other accessories did they make? Or sockets. Would be interested in a catalog link if someone has it.

Found this page .. lots of JET brand sockets and tools. Just keep scrolling down and the various socket options will show up.

https://bcfasteners.com/product-category/hand-tools/socket-tool-sets/

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 07:24:00 PM »
Thanks, GF. They've got alot of stuff.    8)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 08:40:16 PM »
In fairness it is longer than a standard Snap-on handle - and I've always felt the handles could be a little longer.

Harbor Freight copies Snap-on designs even more shamelessly. Screwdriver handles, the new bi-molded ratchet handles.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.