Author Topic: JS Technology Inc ?  (Read 9844 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

JS Technology Inc ?
« on: March 04, 2019, 12:46:36 PM »
I just bought a GOVT Surplus 1/4  set , and the blow moulded box says JS Technology inc.
They're a Danahar company so I'm not sure who actually makes these, but I couldn't pass up a new American made set like this for the price.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 12:50:28 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline highland512

Re: JS Technology Inc ?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 01:40:46 PM »
I have some JS stuff, I always thought they where put together from all different companies to make sets for the government. Your ratchet is a dead ringer for a Thorsen. The JS sockets I have are a dead ringer of SK.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 02:00:17 PM »
I have some JS stuff, I always thought they where put together from all different companies to make sets for the government. Your ratchet is a dead ringer for a Thorsen. The JS sockets I have are a dead ringer of SK.
Interesting, thanks for the info.
I wonder if some Thorsen Tooling was acquired by someone under the Danahar umbrella, Thorsen has been gone for quite a while now right ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline highland512

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 02:37:15 PM »
Everything on Thorsen Tool.

http://alloy-artifacts.org/thorsen-manufacturing.html

If I remember right Thorsen ended in the 90's.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 02:39:40 PM by highland512 »

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 02:48:18 PM »

I believe this to be true. A lot of stuff Danher used to fill govt contracts was just cobbled together and apparently sub contracted in some cases.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 03:06:44 PM »
Everything on Thorsen Tool.

http://alloy-artifacts.org/thorsen-manufacturing.html

If I remember right Thorsen ended in the 90's.
Thanks, that's what I thought.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline highland512

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 03:13:07 PM »
Man dont make me feel old, the 90's was just a few years ago it feels like.....................

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 04:03:03 PM »
Man, those last few years Thorson was total garbage. It makes sense, but I didn’t realize the same outfit was behind Murray. Talk about a real junk peddler.

It’s amazing how high the baseline for tool quality is now compared to back then. You’d have to really try these days to find tools as shitty as 80’s Thorson and Murray. Might find them at a dollar store, but that’d Be about the only place.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 04:10:56 PM »
Man, those last few years Thorson was total garbage. It makes sense, but I didn’t realize the same outfit was behind Murray. Talk about a real junk peddler.

It’s amazing how high the baseline for tool quality is now compared to back then. You’d have to really try these days to find tools as shitty as 80’s Thorson and Murray. Might find them at a dollar store, but that’d Be about the only place.
I've never heard of Murray but you make it sound on par with Oxwall.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline highland512

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 07:51:55 AM »

One of my first socket sets was a thorsen set made over seas, all you had to do was show the sockets a bolt and boom!!!! cracked socket.  :))

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 11:28:37 AM »

I've never heard of Murray but you make it sound on par with Oxwall.

I looked around on eBay and Google to find an example for you. Couldn’t find a single Murray tool example to show you.

My hypothesis is that it’s highly likely none of them survived through the 90’s. They eroded of there own free will and were reduced to little piles of rust colored dust. When you find an old toolbox at a swap meet and the smell of Communist shit takes your breath away, it’s likely the residual effects of an 80’s Murray or Thorson tool that died there.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 12:42:55 PM »

One of my first socket sets was a thorsen set made over seas, all you had to do was show the sockets a bolt and boom!!!! cracked socket.  :))
Only imported Thorsen I've experienced was a 5pc pliers set and they were you're typical cheap made in Taiwan pliers.
On par with the crappy orange grips from HF.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 05:44:51 PM »
A lot of the later Thorson stuff was Taiwan made. Bear in mind though, there’s a significant quality difference in 1980’s Taiwan and the stuff they put out today.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 05:59:33 PM »
A lot of the later Thorson stuff was Taiwan made. Bear in mind though, there’s a significant quality difference in 1980’s Taiwan and the stuff they put out today.
Absolutely, for the most part this is true.
Though some of the 80's - 90's Taiwan stuff is still being made as it was and sold in discount stores, general quality is up.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 03:11:06 PM »
It just arrived, and overall the quality seems pretty darn good.
Great fit and finish ball around, and it's a fairly smooth little ratchet.
I counted 44 teeth so I'm guessing this would be listed as a 42 ?
It doesn't look exactly like any Thorsen ratchets I could find a picture of, but I that doesn't really prove anything I guess.

I was surprised to find that the spinner handle has the female drive end on it, this is a feature i like the idea of but didn't have one and can now see how I like it in practice.
Seems like putting a little sliding T on the back would work well too.
Always lookin' to learn