Author Topic: Make a ratchet from scratch  (Read 9667 times)

Offline bonneyman

Make a ratchet from scratch
« on: August 19, 2018, 06:14:10 PM »
In 2013 i was talking with Epstein tools and asked them how many teeth the Granco ratchet that they were selling had. They didn't know, and unbeknownst to me took one apart to count the teeth! (Gotta love their customer service!). Well, when trying to reassemble it the parts went flying! They told me that they were just going to toss the tool. I said, "Just send the parts to me! Maybe I'll be able to fix it." They did - the ratchet handle arrived in the mail within a week.
I set about designing a gear set for it, and went to several pawn shops digging through bins of stuff looking for parts that might work. What follows is the process of making a working ratchet when all you have is a handle.

Nice chrome, smooth lines, well balanced. It has the round, knurled handle of the S-K roundhead 45170 I revere so much, so, I thought I'd try and imitate that other ratchets mechanism.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:41:58 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Make a ratchet from scratch
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 06:14:35 PM »
Here's the couple of ratchet parts I scrounged, and the center selector rod I made that'll hold the pawl spring and pin. I managed to find a gear assembly cradle that fit in the ratchet head without too much side play, had the right depth and fit the front opening on the front of the ratchet. Just scavanged it from the ratchet pictured.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:42:42 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 06:15:19 PM »
Adding a pawl, pawl pin and spring
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 06:22:03 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 06:15:42 PM »
Covering up the back with a flat washer (ground down to size) to keep dirt out.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 06:23:02 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 06:17:08 PM »
Making a selector knob. A little ridged-affair I had in a junk drawer. The selector rod had to be tapered to accept the knob, then I peened a few notches in the end to hold the knob itself on. A pic of my thrid and forth hand assembly tools, and the finished assembly
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 06:26:18 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 06:18:45 PM »
The finished product. It was alot of fun.
Knob makes for easy changes, a bit too tall but not too annoying. Very smooth changing action, smooth operation. Since it's a combination of several ratchets' parts and some handmade pieces it needs a heavy dose of SuperLube to keep it from sticking. Has become one of my fav ratchets.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 06:29:56 PM by bonneyman »

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 09:38:02 PM »
Bman,

I admire your experimental effort.  Looks like a cool little ratchet.

Just an observation-- I've noticed some of the Granco tools (ratchets & wrenches) I've examined had traces of earlier Bonney designs.  I think that either Bonney made some of the Granco tools or Granco got access to Bonney production tooling after Bonney was shut down. 

Have you seen any similar traces of Bonney tools in Granco branded tools.  Any thoughts...
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 11:08:50 PM »
...or Granco got access to Bonney production tooling after Bonney was shut down... 

^^^This.

Thanks for the compliemnt!
Now you've got me thinking, and I'll have to check and see if a Bonney gear will fit that Granco head! 8)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 11:12:31 PM by bonneyman »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 11:24:27 PM »
Very ingenious. Quite an impressive save. Have you used it much?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 11:51:56 PM »
A true Bonneyman Frankenratchet!  ;D
boop/bop/beep

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 09:39:31 AM »
Very ingenious. Quite an impressive save. Have you used it much?

Sure do! One of my go-to's.
About the only complaint I have is that sometimes the selector knob - being so big - tends to "get in the way". But it's very easy to grab even with greasy hands. And the switching action is very light - almost too light,
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:43:22 AM by bonneyman »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 12:38:47 PM »
Using it means it was a complete success and makes it all the more impressive. My tin foil hats off to you.

I guess no one wants to mention to HJE all you have to do is count the clicks...
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.