Author Topic: An impulse buy  (Read 11298 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

An impulse buy
« on: September 22, 2018, 05:33:46 PM »
So today was day one of my yardsale and I made a total of $48 on a small lot of old cheapo import tools and the last of the crappy Chinese flea market knives I used to collect ( plus a few little odds and ends ) .
Anywanys  I stopped at the hardware store for something they didn't have and a couple things caught my eye.
The first thing being a 6pc STANLEY screwdriver set for $7, the handles felt pretty good to me and I figured what better way to spend the money made selling some crappy import tools than on some US MADE ( mostly US MADE ) tools
I don't expect a lot out of them but couldn't pass them up for $7, I'll put them in my house box and put the Craftsmans I've got in it back in the garage with the rest of the set.

The next thing being this little Case 310 lockback, I've seen it in the display for a while and it interested me.
It's a simple little knife but it cuts well as all Case knives do and dissappears in my pocket just as the Case 6208 has the past few days.
Best of all I sold 8 Chinese knives then used the money to buy an American made one, which is good feeling.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: An impulse buy
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 06:09:04 PM »
Very well done! -- congrats

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 06:48:33 PM »
As I recall those Stanley drivers were good sellers at Ace.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 06:54:04 PM »
I have used those screwdrivers.  Good handles and decent blade life.  In home use they can be lifetime tools.  Not so much in a busy shop.

Usually hammers and idiots killed them early.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 07:14:03 PM »
Good to hear about the drivers.

I'm definitely happy and feel I upgraded.

What I sold as far as tools are

1- 90's Oxwall Japan ratchet set
2 - Thorsen Taiwan 4 pc pliers set
3 -small made in china hobby type set with little needle nose pliers, little dykes, precision drivers...ect.
4 - durapro snakedriver ( the flex extension was handy, but everything else in the set was junk and I can probably pick up a generic flexy extension somewhere)
5 - durapro pocket pro
6 - old plano yellow plastic box with random Taiwan sockets In the bottom
7 - Taiwan nut driver roll
8 - cheapo wire stripper and connectors set
9 - taiwan power tester
All gone for $20
Mostly stuff my dad gave me because he never used it, or stuff my grandfather bought because he needed it for a one time use.

The buyer is a nice Mexican guy who lives down the street that always spends more than $20 at every yardsale I have, so I let him have the whole lot for $20.
Most of these tools were usable even the gimmicky ones, but I just don't feel right about owning such tools even when I know they'd probably do.
He wanted them as loaners, spares...ect so I probably won't be hearing about any busted knuckles.

On a side note he was telling me his gas can was stolen out of his work truck the other Knight and wondered if I had any for sale, so I went and grabbed a spare to give him.
His drill also got stolen , but I didn't happen to have a spare drill to give him.

Btw now my house / go box is seeming smaller and smaller, i haven't exactly put many additional tools in it it's just that things are getting bulkier.
If I don't put these STANLEY's in this toolbox then I have to admit that i really didn't need them, and to say I didn't need tools that I bought is not something I can do.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:19:50 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 07:52:06 PM »
I was sent these a while back and relegated them to handy household use. 

Light electrical and whatnot fixing every now and then they are purdy darn good.    I certianly get results. 

China coo just means they fit the screws in all the rest of our China made stuff around here.  An actual benefit.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 09:43:31 PM by strik9 »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 08:09:17 PM »
I was sent these a while back and relegated them to handy household use. 

Light electrical and whatnot fixing every now and then they are purdy darn good.    I certianly get results. 

China coo just means they fit the screws in all the rest of our China made stuff around here.  An actual benefit.
Is there a picture I'm not seeing.
Anyhow, I don't want to seem like I was all out bashing Asian imports or anything.
I don't think I have any Chinese screwdrivers, but I've got a set of Taiwan made Maxtech screwdrivers I got for Christmas one year as a teenager that have held up well.
I use them when the driver size and handle size are appropriate , because some of the Craftsmans handles prove small for their size and toque I need sometimes.
If a tool is decent enough and serves me a purpose I will use it regardless of coo if I have to( though I don't have to like it ), but the stuff I sold I just didn't need regardless.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 08:53:12 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 08:39:45 PM »
The Chinese and Taiwanese can make as good a tool as they want. Any country capable of building the three gorges dam (even with a lot of imported engineering) can build any quality level they want. More often than not the junk is junk not because of COO rather because whoever writes the purchase orders cares more about price point than quality. That they can sell it seems to imply the decisions have appeal to large numbers of consumers.

I prefer to buy US made the consideration being more political in nature and a certain amount of jingoism more than quality issues. I do have Chinese/Taiwan, mostly HF, stuff but the purchases are made with a lot of deliberation and balancing priorities.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 08:48:43 PM »
The Chinese and Taiwanese can make as good a tool as they want. Any country capable of building the three gorges dam (even with a lot of imported engineering) can build any quality level they want. More often than not the junk is junk not because of COO rather because whoever writes the purchase orders cares more about price point than quality. That they can sell it seems to imply the decisions have appeal to large numbers of consumers.

I prefer to buy US made the consideration being more political in nature and a certain amount of jingoism more than quality issues. I do have Chinese/Taiwan, mostly HF, stuff but the purchases are made with a lot of deliberation and balancing priorities.
Agreed, they can and do when the order calls for it.

To be clear the stuff I sold was pretty much bottom of the barrel.

honestly I just want to see " Made in USA " on as much of my stuff as possible since I rarely did growing up, maybe I should just paint it on my wall so I can get my fix  :))
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 08:55:09 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 10:05:00 PM »
Pic added.  Oops. 

Function over coo.  But depending on item I might have a preference.  The market here does not allow an average wage earner to have the luxury of being too selective.  Good tools csn come in all colors.

I also like Stanley as its not likely to find worthless gimmicks in the product lines.  Mostly goid affordable basics for regular jobs.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 10:18:37 PM »
Pic added.  Oops. 

Function over coo.  But depending on item I might have a preference.  The market here does not allow an average wage earner to have the luxury of being too selective.  Good tools csn come in all colors.

I also like Stanley as its not likely to find worthless gimmicks in the product lines.  Mostly goid affordable basics for regular jobs.
That's what I've noticed about Stanley, they mostly make normal usable tools because their marketing strategy is all about name and affordability

I really like my Stanley precision screwdriver set, I don't know where they're made but they've served me well and are only $3 so it doesn't matter.
They used to come in a nicer case , but the current one is definitely less bulky.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 12:21:16 AM »
cool knife!

the screwdrivers? if you are happy it's all good. i think for general homeowner duty they are perfectly acceptable. they may not hold up to severe duty but i would guess you know that.

remember what rusty says.......... tool does job=good tool.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 01:31:45 AM »
cool knife!

the screwdrivers? if you are happy it's all good. i think for general homeowner duty they are perfectly acceptable. they may not hold up to severe duty but i would guess you know that.

remember what rusty says.......... tool does job=good tool.
That's definitely true.
I'll know In time , but I've used two of them already and I definitely like the handles so far.
The only problem is that now I've really gotta get started looking for the box I want.

As far as the knife goes, it'll  have to grow on me more.
I like it and it's a dandy little blade, just not one I instantly fell In love with.
Always lookin' to learn