Author Topic: Mac extra long DOE wrenches  (Read 12069 times)

Offline Davethorik

Mac extra long DOE wrenches
« on: October 09, 2018, 05:23:37 PM »
I love it when my dad gives me stuff! He said he bought a lot of various scrap at an auction years ago and these were in it, and had used them his entire career as a mechanic. D9L to D12L.

D12L is 22" long, 1-1/4"×1-1/8" :-\

Someone on GJ found them in a '50s cat and I am missing the smallest wrench of 5, the D8L, which is 3/4"×11/16"...so if anyone sees one or has one to trade, let me know!

Offline oldnslo

Re: Mac extra long DOE wrenches
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 05:29:11 PM »
I have but one of those freakishly long DOE ones. Sadly, its a Cornwell, and has a 5/8 x 11/16 setup. Sorry.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 07:17:36 PM »
So, are they thin like tappet wrenches? Just wondering how an open end can grip enough with the torque so long a handle will apply.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 07:50:20 PM »
These are definitely not tappets. they have standard size wrench heads. Long reach low torque?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 08:58:20 PM »
Maybe for jam nuts? They are often a little thinner than a regular nut and not all that tight.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Snaparxon

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 09:33:01 PM »
In a MAC tool catalog

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 10:05:01 PM »
Maybe for jam nuts? They are often a little thinner than a regular nut and not all that tight.

OK, 10-4

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 10:12:31 PM »
those are very nice. please post them on the v- cut wrench thread as i have never seen them before.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 07:24:16 PM »
In a MAC tool catalog

Snaparxon those in the smaller sizes are sized a little different and there are larger sizes. Plus they have the newer model number. I hope i don't find any of those, otherwise I'll basically have to start over again.

Snaparxon

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 08:16:25 PM »
In a MAC tool catalog

Snaparxon those in the smaller sizes are sized a little different and there are larger sizes. Plus they have the newer model number. I hope i don't find any of those, otherwise I'll basically have to start over again.

I know they are different sizes and newer numbers, I was showing the description that MAC gave for their use.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 08:29:56 PM »
Well thank you I appreciate it!

My dad also found a 1941 dated 16" J.P. Danielson Bet'R Grip adjustable wrench in good shape in same lot. Interestingly it's one of the few original Danielsons without a broached hang hole, as it has a modern-style tapered beam handle down to a little maybe 1/2" round hole. I begged him for it for a while til he caved, but I paid cash for it. Some oxidization but hardly used. Edit: attached pic. With Crescent 18", Diamalloy 24", and a hard to see 4" J.P. Danielson Bet'R Grip.

Whoever was tucking these tools in with scrap had a good eye.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 08:43:02 PM by Davethorik »

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 08:35:24 PM »
those are very nice. please post them on the v- cut wrench thread as i have never seen them before.

Thank you. I feel dumb but couldn't find the thread you specify. I've seen it, but am failing to today.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 03:57:21 PM »
Digging the 24", looks sweet.  I really like a nice adjustable.  Use them everyday

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 05:48:43 PM »
Thanks, I had been looking for a 24" and always too pricy. Looked for a few years but snagged this from a vendor closing down for the day at a swap meet for $40.

My dad also found the 18" at a yard sale years ago, it appeared to be a black oxide wrench someone rattlecanned. But it has never been used. Came with a matching 15" (That one green, in my work box.) that had been used a fair bit.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 09:49:05 PM »
Here are a couple more pics I took today. First, a long "22 Cornwell 58" hand forged DOE, unfortunately lots of rust...but if it was hand forged in Ohio I buy it... in 1-1/8"×1", it's a lot shorter than the Macs.

2nd pic, set pictured with my collection of Mac BXL Series extra long double box ends (always looking for more). And a Mac marked SK 3/8 beavertail for fun.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 09:54:24 PM by Davethorik »