Author Topic: Well, this is a surprise!  (Read 10240 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Well, this is a surprise!
« on: October 23, 2018, 11:58:09 AM »
My wife and I cleaned up and purged the basement clutter this past weekend to get ready for the holiday season (i.e. get ready to accumulate more junk), and she stumbled across these sets. US made Craftsman polished line wrench sets nicely tucked away in their original boxes. Yes, I bought them and forgot about them because they were supposed to be Christmas presents for some family members back in 2010-11.

I was renovating the garage in those days and had my tools spread all over hence it probably made sense to put these in a "safe" place. Problem is I bought them earlier in the year and promptly forgot about them. Nice wrenches and still one of the better designs that they sold. I have these wrenches in my own collection and although very good, they are not as good as my older Snap-On line wrenches -- the Snap-On models don't spread one iota and are very precise.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 01:09:34 PM by goodfellow »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Well, this is a surprise!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 12:37:17 PM »
So the tips do spread? They look fairly beefy.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 12:55:05 PM »
I have these. I had thought they were made SK.

I have some Snap-on as well and GF is right you can not get a better line wrench than the Snap-ons. But the Craftsman are good wrenches and have worked well for me.

So the tips do spread? They look fairly beefy.

I believe under enough stress any open end will tend to spread a bit. But has not been an issue.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 01:10:39 PM »
.......I have these. I had thought they were made SK.

I believe you are correct Steve -- SK was the OEM for this bunch.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 04:49:07 PM »
That's definitely a surprise.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 04:54:01 PM »
My inventor buddy told me the steel Snap on uses in its wrenches is quite hard and won't spread.  If it does, it snaps.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 05:04:43 PM »
My inventor buddy told me the steel Snap on uses in its wrenches is quite hard and won't spread.  If it does, it snaps.

I readily believe that Phil. I have regular Craftsman, older MAC and MATCO, the C-Man Pros above, Snap-On, and an extensive set of older GRANCO SAE versions. The only ones that have never rounded off a line fitting are the Snap-On and GRANCO wrenches.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 05:07:38 PM »
...  If it does, it snaps.

Of course it does that's why they call it Snap-on.

OK, I'll go stand stand in the corner.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 05:45:31 PM »
Jackpot in the basement!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 05:55:38 PM »

For the small price of three firstborn and a year of payyments the Wurth offset double flex end line wrenches are great.

No stretching and that typical top end Japanese tool build the mostly seem worth the price once you have them.    I sold off all others after these came home.  and I had three snappers too.   

the flex on the ends makes them go over or under near all obstacles where I used them  and it was hard to go back to regular types.  I do wish I needed them more on the job.