Author Topic: Final Thorsen goodness to round out the collection  (Read 14992 times)

Offline oldnslo

Final Thorsen goodness to round out the collection
« on: November 03, 2018, 12:42:48 PM »
While being a former Thorsen fanboy from the early 80's and selling this stuff in the local auto supply (my former employer), I used the metric socket and wrench set throughout the next several decades without issue. I've given the metric socket set to my son, and kept the wrench set as (one of many) backups to my daily users.(Cman polished from their clearance days).

So whats new? I snagged a 1-1/4 combo to expand my SAE set to its full capacity, after collecting each combo 1 by 1. The metric set is all original to me up to 19mm, and I have picked up the larger sizes over the years.

Some hate the the feel of the shanks, I'm indifferent. I do enjoy the beefy open ends, and the smaller size box ends are 6pt (a nice touch).

So, as Rod Serling would say.....Submitted for your approval....fellow gazette-eers.

Offline bonneyman

Re: Final Thorsen goodness to round out the collection
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 12:50:36 PM »
Me likey!   :)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 01:16:21 PM »
My favorite wrench of all time is the Snap-on V groove and these are very similar so I have a built in preference for these. I like the collection you have.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 01:33:54 PM »
Very nice collection! -- Thorsen made great tools back in the day. Still have a lot of older Wards (Thorsen era) wrenches and sockets in the drawers.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 02:09:14 PM »
They look excellent to me.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 03:02:04 PM »
Thx all!

The upside SAE is a 11/32" in a MAC. A size I've never needed in a wrench, a few times in a socket, but rarely brought into play.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 11:01:58 PM »
I like ‘em too, but then again I would! Nice collection.
-Don

Offline crankshaftdan II

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 08:02:53 AM »
Very nice collection-most of the thorsens found in this area are in pretty sad shape as they tend to rust heavily due to the thin chrome plating if left where there is moisture.   Your set looks very nice! 8)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 09:47:37 AM »
I bought a few many years ago, and might even have a few remaining if I did not give them away. I cannot explain why, but I just never warmed to the design of the brand myself. I cannot point to any particular flaw of design or the wrenches themselves either, just a matter of taste I guess.

Thorsen sockets I flat out dislike due to a number of them that have failed on me. I have had more Thorsen brand socket fail than any other so I make a point of avoiding the brand.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 10:45:57 AM »
.......Thorsen sockets I flat out dislike due to a number of them that have failed on me. I have had more Thorsen brand socket fail than any other so I make a point of avoiding the brand.

Interesting observation Herb. My experience is limited to Montgomery Ward mid-late 70's Thorsen sourced products, and the sockets have held up better than most of my other budget brands from that time. My biggest losers have been late 70s SK sockets.

Offline ScoutDriver

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 01:20:26 PM »
Lovin' the Thorsen!!  8)

Scott

Offline highland512

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 01:31:19 PM »
The open gear Thorsen ratchet is one of my favorites, I think they are a neat little tool. I usually take them home when I find them.

I do have quite a few Thorsen tools as they are bought cheaply and when I started down this tool rabbit hole 10 years ago cheep US made was nice. I have broke a few sockets but the combo wrenches have held up very well.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 03:14:34 PM »
A set of the metrics was my go-to set for years until I upgraded to a set of Proto pros. Going to give them to a friend with many more children than me, and he will put them to good use.

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 04:53:59 PM »
I have quite a bit of Thorsen tools as they were a California company. Not pretty, but tough as nails. Here’s a set I found cheap at a garage sale some time back.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 05:26:35 PM »
I have a couple odd sizes of the Speed Hed wrenches but not seen a set before. Ratcheting open ends are something you either like or you din't.  I like.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.