Author Topic: Final Thorsen goodness to round out the collection  (Read 14991 times)

Offline fatfillup

Re: Final Thorsen goodness to round out the collection
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 02:04:48 PM »
Made heavy so I would think they would hold up well.  Not my favorite but sure don't hate them. 

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 09:20:19 PM »
Only issue I've seen with Thorsen is that the chrome is either really really good, or it's really really bad. Flaking, peeling, and chipping seem to be common problems. Comments I've seen from men who have actually put them to use indicate it's one of those "love it or hate it" brands - there doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground. Personally I've never had any big issues with them.
There's a set of those "V-groove" SAE open-ends waiting for me over at the post office. Somewhere around here I've got a set of the "V-groove" SAE combination wrenches. Nothing in metric yet, as I recall.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 05:36:27 AM »
Living in the SF Bay Area, there is often quite a bit of Thorsen to be found. As BK says, chrome plating was not Thorsen’s strong suit so I tend to leave those peeling ones behind. Here are my Thorsen finds from a local estate sale on Friday.
-Don

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 11:31:28 AM »
* d42jeep - just in case you should stumble across these on your ventures:
I am still looking for two matching pieces to complete a set - I believe they're the last iteration of the Thorsen offset DBE - they have two part numbers stamped on them. These are the 10° offset double-end box - not the deep offset. As I recall, Thorsen used the same part numbers on both the 10° offset and the deeper 45° offset double ends. (Go figure)
2214 (15214) 7/16 x 1/2, and 2216 (15216) 1/2 x 9/16 - the rest of the set is pretty cherry:

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 11:35:49 AM »
Found photos of some of those SAE "V-groove" combination wrenches I have. More around here somewhere I think. (?) As I recall, I bought a box of 10 of the little 5/16" "V-groove" from a guy - all NOS. I think there's still a few of them left.
Also a couple of the "shorty" 45° double-end box models - one Thorsen and one Giller here. 

« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 11:38:52 AM by four.cycle »

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2018, 11:56:43 AM »
As I recall, Thorsen used the same part numbers on both the 10° offset and the deeper 45° offset double ends. (Go figure)

They did the same with the combo wrenches, same part #, different length wrench (short and long).

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2018, 03:38:28 PM »
Crap,,,,,,,,,,,,,haha ,,,,,,,,,,am I dense.  You were talking V groove and I was thinking V cut that SK likes so much and thinking, they aren't v groove wrenches.   didn't realize you were referring to the beam

Glad I didn't post anything

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 12:36:18 AM »
* d42jeep - just in case you should stumble across these on your ventures:
I am still looking for two matching pieces to complete a set - I believe they're the last iteration of the Thorsen offset DBE - they have two part numbers stamped on them. These are the 10° offset double-end box - not the deep offset. As I recall, Thorsen used the same part numbers on both the 10° offset and the deeper 45° offset double ends. (Go figure)
2214 (15214) 7/16 x 1/2, and 2216 (15216) 1/2 x 9/16 - the rest of the set is pretty cherry:

BK,
It looks like the great majority of my Thorsen DBE are offset. Here is a fairly recent picture.
-Don

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 01:05:10 AM »
^ I've got those deep offsets in Giller. Still trying to complete that set of shallow offset Thorsens - the bugaboo seems to be trying to find the late version (with both the four-digit and the five-digit part numbers stamped on them.)
(Thorsen - Giller = same/same except the branding.)
Still missing the 2225 (13/16" x 25/32") or 2226 (13/16" x 7/8") - but no way am I paying $22.00 for one wrench! I've got 13/16" covered about three different ways in Indestro.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:07:42 AM by four.cycle »