Author Topic: Stage-8 header bolts  (Read 6195 times)

Offline Elroy

Stage-8 header bolts
« on: December 17, 2018, 04:53:36 PM »
Elroy is seeking information from any of the good members here with direct experience with stage-8 header bolts?._

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
Re: Stage-8 header bolts
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 09:10:23 PM »
Made me run a search to figure out what they were. I've never used em, think the idea has merit.

My experience, iron heads, use SS aliens, always torqued evenly. Start inboard and run out to the ends. I've yet to have a loose header bolt ever.

I think the clips have two points of failure with multi options.  Option 1 loose the E ring, misplacing it, launching it into never land. Option 2, bending or braking same.

I know Elroy had a good handle on automotive stuff.  I'm just making points regarding the product, KISS works most times, with care.

Pep

1776 ................... what happened!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 11:28:33 PM »
Never knew what they were until I looked them up. I can see where those might be pretty nice in certain applications. I see no mention of FAA approval so those feds might feel they need a few decades worth of testing and evaluation followed by countless hearings. They tend to like safety wire and cotter pins in things that vibrate.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 08:04:04 AM »
  Sorry for the hijack Elroy... but it will be short

DeadNutz,

My father was a sheet metal man for EAL, I had the pleasure of flying in every recept  ever built, up to and including the Electra.

It was an under rated bird, cause that baby could really clime, steep & quick.  Attack angle was greater than a chimerical jet. Prop was the key, planetary gear, spun at a fixed rpm, the pitch determined the power.

My favorite the Connie what a flayer, the Electra a dragster.

I dislike air travel, these days, one step above a buss. If a greyhound had a bathroom, there would be no difference.. LMAO

Everything gets better with time doughnut,
Pep

Offline Elroy

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 05:12:14 PM »
KISS works most times, with care.

Have no doubt, Elroy prefers the kiss method as well
Elroy has been solicited to solve a problem on a friend's 69 small block vette.This thing eats header gaskets as the bolt backs out and burns the gasket. This is the third time on the same cylinder.

It appears stage 8 offers two kinds of "tabs". These headers have fairly large tubes. Research indicates that the notched style tabs may not clear the tube. The abutment style tabs take up a lot of room.

Looking for guidance on which style to use or are there better options. Elroy is not keen on installing "wire"

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 05:19:43 PM »
KISS works most times, with care.

Have no doubt, Elroy prefers the kiss method as well
Elroy has been solicited to solve a problem on a friend's 69 small block vette.This thing eats header gaskets as the bolt backs out and burns the gasket. This is the third time on the same cylinder.

It appears stage 8 offers two kinds of "tabs". These headers have fairly large tubes. Research indicates that the notched style tabs may not clear the tube. The abutment style tabs take up a lot of room.

Looking for guidance on which style to use or are there better options. Elroy is not keen on installing "wire"

Far be it from me to tell Elroy anything related to muscle cars, but I had similar problems with a Jaguar head some years ago. It kept loosening exhaust manifold nuts. The head was aluminum and the manifold was cast iron and we tried several times to fix it. Long story short it was a warped cast iron exhaust flange. Not a lot of warpage, and it made a good seal for a few months, but after a certain number of heat cycles it leaked again. We finally took it off and machined it -- with excellent results; no more leaks.

Offline wreckercologist

• Always smooth and refreshing!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 12:03:58 AM »
Another option might be to cut the flanges in-between the tubes.  In the past I've had good luck with that on a 351W with BBK headers and also on a small chevy with no-name cheapie headers.

I couldn't keep gaskets on my bronco......tried every kind.  Copper, aluminum.  Zero issues after cutting.

Same results on the SBC
The floggings will continue until morale improves

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 07:50:32 AM »
Now reading the following;
"Elroy has been solicited to solve a problem on a friend's 69 small block vette.This thing eats header gaskets as the bolt backs out and burns the gasket. This is the third time on the same cylinder.";

I have a suggest solution, I run sprint car style headers, this gasket set, will solve the problem.

Pep
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 08:04:41 AM by pep »

Offline Elroy

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 02:40:24 PM »
this gasket set, will solve the problem.

Pep

Excellent suggestion

Elroy was initially considering utilizing Fel-Pro #1444.

One little issue that came to Elroy's attention is the fact that the 3/8-16 Stage-8 fasteners have a 7/16 hex head where a "regular" 3/8-16 header bolt has a 3/8 hex head.
Hell, there's not nearly enough room next to the tube for a 3/8 box end let alone a 7/16.

It's typical..............always some kind of problem

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 06:45:45 AM »
Thanks Elroy,

Happy to lend a hand.

Pep