Author Topic: "Off the wall" tool brand, but excellent quality -- GRANCO  (Read 13526 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
"Off the wall" tool brand, but excellent quality -- GRANCO
« on: August 14, 2018, 10:51:52 AM »
I restore older cars and work on a lot of rusted and corroded fasteners. I have found that these Granco line wrenches are absolutely superior in removing stubborn nuts and bolts over just about any other set I own. They have extra deep heads which greatly increase contact surface area.

Although not considered "main stream", they are truly worth a look -- Granco is an established US company and they made excellent tools. Even today they are quite reasonably priced on ebay

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: "Off the wall" tool brand, but excellent quality -- GRANCO
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 12:04:27 PM »
Interesting design. They almost look like line wrenches and in fact that was my first impression just never seen a line wrench with a box end. Granco is a brand I am not familiar with - I may have seen the name but that's about it.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline highland512

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 01:10:01 PM »
When I was digging through the mil serp tool barn many years ago they had piles of those wrenches. There has been many time I wished I had taken the time to build a set out of them. Very nice looking tools.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 02:29:41 PM »
Interesting design. They almost look like line wrenches and in fact that was my first impression just never seen a line wrench with a box end. Granco is a brand I am not familiar with - I may have seen the name but that's about it.

It is a copycat of the old set Bonney offered years ago. That Granco name was local to me in Kansas City, Missouri years ago. I think the Gran part was named for Grandview, the part of town where the company was based at one time. I think they re long gone now.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 03:30:27 PM »
I want to say I have seen them as contract tools for the .gov

Those are good looking wrenches and I have one customer who would scarf up at least on set right away. 

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 07:55:30 PM »

I've seen pictures of similar wrenches before either on GG or Ch 3. Not Granco though. Bonney IIRC.

Snaparxon

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 08:03:27 PM »
I thought I remember reading something about Granco buying some of Bonney's old machines but I could be wrong.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 09:17:45 PM »
I thought I remember reading something about Granco buying some of Bonney's old machines but I could be wrong.

You are correct! According to Steve over at Epstein's, Granco bought the Bonney dies and pull broaches for wrenches and sockets. Their plan was to re-introduce new "Bonney" tools slowly over time (according to one of the company vice presidents that I talked to). But they ran into financial trouble, and went under. The Bonney tooling got scrapped.

HJE does have a few of the re-intro'd tools, though.

https://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/box-end-wrench-1-4-x-5-16.html

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 09:28:27 PM »
Good to know -- thanks for the link BM!!!

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 03:26:48 PM »
Goodfellow, you couldn’t be more right about Granco quality. I grab them up every time I’m at the swap meet. Appears they are used extensively at the Pearl Harbor shipyard. I figure if they are good enough for our national defense, they’re good enough for this humble guy.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 03:46:19 PM »
Here's a Bonney for comparison. Unfortunately these only came in satin finish - no full polish.
One nice feature about these flare/box combos is the thickness of the steel. The flare ends had to be fairly thick to withstand the applied forces with the open flared end, and the box end follows suit. Much thicker than the box ends on the combs and DFB's. And the shanks were nice and thick, too. If you gotta break loose a real tight bolt, reach for the Bonney flare/box combo!

That ebay set looks nice. I have 3/8 thru 3/4 - that little group right there would finish my set out. Just wish Bonney had made those in 13/16".  :'(
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 03:49:36 PM by bonneyman »