Author Topic: Great day!!  (Read 6692 times)

Offline Davethorik

Great day!!
« on: May 25, 2019, 01:29:16 PM »
Opened up Letgo this morning and it started a 3 hour long adventure with 4 stops and some nice stuff.

Stop 1 was the very nice looking Craftsman cantilever box no. 6536. Guy was 59, said he bought it age 16 in 1976. Still has original exterior sticker, and has cut to fit cork matting throughout. Very heavy-duty; I'd guess 15 lbs empty.

Stop 2: JC Penney USA 1/3 hp cast iron bench grinder.

Stop 3: JC Penney USA 1/3 hp cast iron bench grinder. Yes you read right, that makes #2. Different sellers different towns listed the same day within hours of each other lol. Grinders seem to have identical specs but different part numbers. What are the odds??

Stop 4: old Cornwell 3/4 combo wrench, Pexto tinsmith's hammer, large brass mallet, and last but not least a "Germantown Master Lather" lath hatchet that is 100+ years old, made by Germantown Tool Works of Philadelphia.

Total was $75 spent.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 01:32:32 PM by Davethorik »

Offline Davethorik

Re: Great day!!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 01:31:45 PM »
Here are the rest of the pics.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 01:33:34 PM »
that box is a classic -- congrats on that score!

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 01:49:18 PM »
Thanks!

Here's a better shot of the cleaner grinder. It's used but very clean. Both have all parts, wheel guards, face shields, and tool rests. Good cords to boot!

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 01:53:55 PM »
Nice score on the tools. If your going to keep the grinders, what I have done is one grinder has the coarse and fine stones, the other has coarse and fine wire brushes.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 02:04:44 PM »
That's the plan, I sold my craftsman block grinders a while ago and I like that these are very heavy for their size. My OCD will be satisfied that they match, as well  :D

Offline Elroy

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 03:12:56 PM »
Thanks!

Here's a better shot of the cleaner grinder. It's used but very clean. Both have all parts, wheel guards, face shields, and tool rests. Good cords to boot!

In Elroy's eye, those bench grinders are Baldors.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 03:54:40 PM »
Thanks!

In Elroy's eye, those bench grinders are Baldors.

I would tend to agree with Elroy, looking at pics online. Awesome I grabbed some good stuff!! Thanks for the ID, Elroy.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 03:56:26 PM by Davethorik »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 04:40:48 PM »
Really awesome cantilever box.

That lathe and plaster hatchet is a nice score too, Germantown used great steel.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 05:28:40 PM »
Thanks, it caught my eye and appears very well made. I doubt the handle is original but it is 100% serviceable. Same with the 2 hammers.

Looked closely at the hatchet, it has 81 points so it is the midsize no. 293 Chicago pattern 19 oz per the ad.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 05:58:19 PM by Davethorik »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2019, 10:19:17 PM »
$75 for all that is a great score. The reason those grinders have lasted so long is due to good USA Baldor motors. I like the big brass mallet also and those aren't cheap anymore.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 08:34:10 PM »
Thanks, it caught my eye and appears very well made. I doubt the handle is original but it is 100% serviceable. Same with the 2 hammers.

Looked closely at the hatchet, it has 81 points so it is the midsize no. 293 Chicago pattern 19 oz per the ad.
I don't know, looking at the condition of the head I would not doubt if that handle is original.
A shot of the top of the eye will tell but it looks well hung from what I can see, most often people tend to just jam a head down as far as it go and pound in a step wedge or whatever they've got laying around.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 10:19:31 PM »
really nice grinders. that cantilever box is nice. missed a smaller one a while back and regret it. most of them are too large for my needs.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 10:30:57 AM »
Dave,

That Crafty cantilever box is a real gem; haven't seen one in ages.  That said, if your empty weight estimate (i.e. 15lbs) is correct, and the box was loaded with tools, it could easily weigh 45-50lbs.  That would be a tough lift/carry  :-\

When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 04:51:48 PM »
Sweet buys

When Elroy first said the grinders looked Baldorish, I was skeptical but upon closer inspection, they may very well be. Or the might be Winsotas (or something like that, Baldor clones but great grinders)

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 10:27:52 PM »
Are you getting nervous when you hear police sirens?  Because you stole that stuff!   :))
boop/bop/beep

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2019, 10:29:15 PM »
Sweet buys

When Elroy first said the grinders looked Baldorish, I was skeptical but upon closer inspection, they may very well be. Or the might be Winsotas (or something like that, Baldor clones but great grinders)

Wissota, I believe.  I've seen some in ads but haven't snagged any yet.
boop/bop/beep

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2019, 08:24:28 AM »
Based on looking at pics online, I think Elroy is right, these are Baldors. The base for Wissota grinders looks different. And the eye shield are dead ringers for those on Baldor 1/3 hp units.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2019, 05:28:40 PM »
Took a closer look at the grinders. I think my powers of observation are slipping  :-[

The cleaner of the 2 had a recent partial repaint, the original center band was left with original paint, and basically everything cast iron was repainted. The color isn't original.
This grinder also has a tool rest made of aluminum angle  :-[
I guess better than none.
This grinder is also noisier and vibrates more than the other one, but not what I would call excessively so.

Dirty grinder: right side wheel guard is cracked in 3 places. 2 cracks by where it attaches to grinder are filled with dirt and look older. They are also small, maybe 3/8" long. 3rd crack goes from outer edge into the hole where eye shield is bolted on, and isn't dirty indicating a recent addition  ::)
This crack is maybe 1.5" long. I'm guessing it fell or got dropped on the eye shield. Luckily this is mostly cosmetic, not sure about smaller cracks yet.
This grinder runs very, very smooth.

Since they were cheap I'm not that upset. They are nice little grinders, just need tlc.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 09:47:03 AM »
Vibration could likely be a out of round wheel or brush