Author Topic: Is a SALTUS wrench really the most compact wrench around?  (Read 5420 times)

Offline bonneyman

Is a SALTUS wrench really the most compact wrench around?
« on: May 26, 2019, 01:26:40 PM »
I had the opportunity to grab a 1/4" Bonney SALTUS wrench from Todd last week, and grabbed it. Thinking about it, and remebered how I've read that a SALTUS wrench is the most compact wrench out there. For those jobs that are confined and recessed, a SALTUS wrench will do where no other wrench design will work. So, I thought I'd test that theory.

I assembled the readily available compact ratchets I had in 1/4", and measured the distance top of wrench to bottom of socket with calipers, just to see how compact they really are. On the bit ratchets some of the bits and adaptors protruded out the back. I measured from the back of the tool, figuring if someone needed every mm they'd grind the adaptor back flush with the tool. (That's what I do). So, if a picture has the bit sticking out the back, know that I measured from the back of the tool.

Honestly, in all my years of wrenching, I've never come across a need for a SALTUS wrench. Standard combos, normal and deep offset box wrenches, and the various sockets one has have always gotten the job done. Though I can see certain instances - engine work, for instance - they would prove invaluable. Tell me what you guys think.

Here's the 1/4" Bonney SALTUS next to a standard 1/4" Bonney combo.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 02:04:48 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Is a SALTUS wrench really the most compact wrench around?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 01:27:59 PM »
Here's the ratchets and wrenches I used, and the various adaptors I carry to mix and match with those tools to get the fit I need.
The tools: A Gear wrench ratcheting combo, the Craftsman hex bit ratcheting driver, a Reverse Gear hex bit reversible bit driver, a tiny Matco comfort handle ratchet, and a General brand bit driver (basically like the Chapman bit drivers)

The adaptors: Gearwrench QR thumbwheel adaptor (10mm to 1/4" square), the older solid-style Gearwrench adaptor (3/8" to 1/4"), a Chapman hex to square adaptor, and an adaptor I made (hex to square with detent ball) for the Craftsman bit ratchet. (I ground down the bit and socket to get the narrowest profile I could)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 01:33:44 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 01:28:25 PM »
The Bonney SALTUS wrench was 1" top to bottom. That's the dimension to beat!

Here are the results of the various combinations, from smallest to largest.
Craftsman reversible bit ratchet combo with my modified attachments   1  7/32"
General bit ratchet with adaptor and socket  1  5/16"
Gearwrench 10mm ratcheting combo and QR adaptor and socket  1  3/8"
MATCO comfort style 1/4" ratchet and socket   1 15/32"
Gearwrench 3/8" ratcheting combo wrench and solid style adaptor and socket    1  9/16"
Husky Reverse gear reversible bit ratchet and adaptor and socket  1  9/16"

These last two though the same height of reach I gave the benefit to the Gearwrench, as it is zero offset and much longer overall to reach into a confined space.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 01:52:29 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 01:58:32 PM »
I have a Husky pass-thru style 1/4" socket but not the ratchet that goes with it. But the socket itself was really short, so, I placed it alongside a standard Gearwrench ratcheting combo wrench and guesstimated the overall distance.

The actual height of the socket itself is 1", but if the ratchet that uses it rides along the lower edge of the grooves it could be turn out to be only about 7/8". So, on width alone it beats the SALTUS. But since the SALTUS socket end pivots, it could probably get into a tighter space and then the socket could pivot into position - something the pass thru socket can't do.

I'll keep digging thru my tools and see what other combinations I can find, just to see if I can conjure up something narrower. (I'm thinking a DUNLAP double ratcheting box wrench might accept my modded hex bit scheme, and that could be a tad smaller). And I'll post the results here.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 02:01:19 PM by bonneyman »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 04:07:03 PM »
I use a 10mm Saltus wrench on battery cables on the vehicles. It is just a habit to grab that one.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 05:04:13 PM »
I only have 2 metric SALTUS wrenches - a Truecraft 10mm and a MAC 15mm. Haven't used either yet.

I just remembered I have a Bonney SALTUS in 5/8". When I run out the 1/4" comparisons, I could do a similar contest using the larger size if there's interest.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 06:45:59 PM »
I only have 2 metric SALTUS wrenches - a Truecraft 10mm and a MAC 15mm. Haven't used either yet.

I just remembered I have a Bonney SALTUS in 5/8". When I run out the 1/4" comparisons, I could do a similar contest using the larger size if there's interest.

I've taken pics of a 13mm Saltus vs. 1/4" & 3/8" breaker bars with sockets this afternoon. Will post them in the next hour or two.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 07:23:55 PM »
I've taken pics of a 13mm Saltus vs. 1/4" & 3/8" breaker bars with sockets this afternoon. Will post them in the next hour or two.

Got the pics edited. All of it is Snap-on so it's an apples to apples comparison. Regards how useful Saltus wrenches are I'd say not often but when you need one they can save a lot of time and aggravation.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 08:21:50 PM »
Great pics, Matt! Your photos show how the SALTUS wrench's socket attachment method compacts the length significantly.

A couple years ago I was reading an article on the web about how and when the SALTUS wrench was invented. I thought it was by a German guy named Saltus. I wish I could find that article.  :-[

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 11:53:15 AM »
bman,

Interesting question/topic.

To be honest, I've never given any thought to the compactness of saltus wrench design.  I've always thought of them as the "better combo wrench" that lends them to quick and flexible assembly situations.

That said, I've only got Saltus wrenches in SAE.  At this point in my life, I'd probably be better served with metric set... :-[
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 11:55:16 AM by lauver »
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2019, 01:48:26 AM »
Saltus actually produced wrenches of their own .... check these out

Another compact option..... Gearwrench pass through 13mm socket and ratchet beside a SK “saltus type” wrench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2019, 01:44:23 PM »
Oooh, those double SALTUS flex's are nice! Roll pin pivot, too. Dang nice.

And my guess that a pass thru ratchet/socket might beat the depth proves true!  8)