Author Topic: Those of you with torches...  (Read 8506 times)

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: Those of you with torches...
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2019, 01:33:30 PM »
GF, he says he does and seems pretty above board.  I'll ask him about the receipts but I'll call a couple of gas supply places first to see what their policies are. 

He's asking $100 for the setup.
boop/bop/beep

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2019, 01:42:29 PM »
I leased my tanks (as was standard practice at the time of purchase) so -  after the original $175 deposit - all I paid was refills (less than $20 each). But then when I closed my business and went to return the tanks and get my deposit, they wouldn't accept them! Well George, we have people all the time go buy tanks for $20 at the swap meet and then get $175 deposit back from us. So, unless you can prove they're "your" tanks, no refund".

:-\! I've been dealing with you guys for 20+ years, you know me, I just got the tanks refilled a few months ago. What do you mean I need a receipt? Head honcho in Phx said no deal, too bad. I didn't buy from them again.
It's no wonder contractors screw their customers, because the warehouses are screwing them. Hell of a business my trade has morphed into.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2019, 02:35:26 PM »
In my area that set up would go fast at $100. Call around and see what the local welding suppliers need for bottle refills. My go to guys recently sold out to another company and I don't know how that's gonna be. For a number of years we could swap any bottle anywhere. All the oilfield welders coming from all over needed gas.  ;D The LWS we eager to sell them some and didn't care about whose bottles you had.

IIRC all you need to do to check the regulators is turn the bottle on and set the pressure and watch the gauge. if it held steady it was ok if it crept off of setpoint it was bad. depending on which way the pressure went would determine what was bad needle or diaghram wise. Haven't even thought about it in many years.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2019, 02:51:03 PM »
I have an older version of what Bonneyman has. Brazing, welding with silphos, I have a cutting head but haven't used it in years. All Victor equipment. My dad called it an airplane set, which I can see, but they are mostly used in HVAC now.

I also have a Smith Airline set, but I have never used it, as I don't do jewelry. Good for really delicate things.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 03:26:00 PM »
GF, he says he does and seems pretty above board.  I'll ask him about the receipts but I'll call a couple of gas supply places first to see what their policies are. 

excellent price -- bottles alone are worth that. What is the brand name of the torch?

• Ran when parked
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2019, 03:40:05 PM »
 I believe it's a Victor.
boop/bop/beep

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2019, 03:42:04 PM »

At that price go buy it now before he changes his mind. You can easy double, probably triple, your money if you decide you don't want it.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2019, 03:42:40 PM »

At that price go buy it now before he changes his mind. You can easy double, probably triple, your money if you decide you don't want it.

+1 -- Agreed!

• Ran when parked
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2019, 04:13:51 PM »
He's holding it for me to come get this weekend.  I bought a cart from him the other day.
boop/bop/beep

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2019, 04:21:33 PM »
Your next call should be to the local welding gas refiller, and ask about their refill/exchange and upsize policy.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2019, 08:17:23 PM »
I exchange my tanks for refilled ones. The refilled ones have the company sticker on them and it makes it easier to exchange them the next time.

• Ran when parked
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2019, 08:41:10 AM »
He's holding it for me to come get this weekend.  I bought a cart from him the other day.

Well there was some miscommunication, on his part, and he told me they were sold on Sunday.  Oh well.  Anyways, at least I'm more edjumicated on the subject now.   ;D
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2019, 10:10:41 AM »
Happens a lot -- he probably had someone offer him a higher price and there it went. It was a small basic single stage set, and in the grand scheme of things, marginal at best. Check CL and FB Marketplace and find an outfit with larger cylinders and a heavy duty 2-stage torch set. You will not regret it -- take my word for it. Larger cylinders cost less (overall) to refill/exchange than the smaller sizes (i.e., the gas gets cheaper the more you buy), and a good industrial quality torch set will last a lifetime.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2019, 09:37:48 PM »
I have an older version of what Bonneyman has. Brazing, welding with silphos, I have a cutting head but haven't used it in years. All Victor equipment. My dad called it an airplane set, which I can see, but they are mostly used in HVAC now.

I also have a Smith Airline set, but I have never used it, as I don't do jewelry. Good for really delicate things.

Yeah, the jewelers version uses natural gas as the fuel because it's cleaner. A guy let me watch him repair a piece of gold with his tiny torch once - man was that cool!

• Ran when parked
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2019, 10:37:39 PM »
Happens a lot -- he probably had someone offer him a higher price and there it went. It was a small basic single stage set, and in the grand scheme of things, marginal at best. Check CL and FB Marketplace and find an outfit with larger cylinders and a heavy duty 2-stage torch set. You will not regret it -- take my word for it. Larger cylinders cost less (overall) to refill/exchange than the smaller sizes (i.e., the gas gets cheaper the more you buy), and a good industrial quality torch set will last a lifetime.

Thanks for the advice, Ray.  Yeah, I went with the big bottle on my mig welder years ago for the same reason.
boop/bop/beep