Author Topic: 1/4" Drive magnetic sockets  (Read 3444 times)

Offline torqueman2002

1/4" Drive magnetic sockets
« on: August 06, 2019, 09:26:42 AM »
So, I was working under, in, and around the dash of my daughters '04 Yukon Denali, to fix the many HVAC problems. Good progress, so far. I just need to re-charge AC and check for leaks.

Anyway, as you can imagine, there's a lot going on behind the I/P & Dash and access is tight to say the least.

Things come apart OK for the most part, it's the going back together that has it's challenges. Fitting small screws, nuts into stuff you can't see, ...

I use the paper & socket method, but wish I had metric & SAE sockets that are magnetic. I do have some with hex drive that are too long.

I've Googled, and Amazoned without luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 11:59:58 AM by torqueman2002 »
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: 1/4" Drive magnetic sockets
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 09:53:04 AM »
Magnetic socket inserts is what I use in a pinch. They are little magnets designed to fit the bottom of the socket and are exactly matched to the socket size.

Do a search - I’m on my phone right now but IIRC I got mine from the MAC truck about 15-20 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 09:56:10 AM »
I have the set of snappys. There are two for each drive size, deep and shallow. It doesn't appear they make 1/2 dr anymore, but still have 3/8 and 1/4 https://shop.snapon.com/search?q=magnetic%20adapter

Greyson

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 10:12:17 AM »
I have some APEX impact 1/4 drive that are magnetic. I have only seen them in sae, but it is an idea.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 01:21:23 PM »
Magnetic socket inserts is what I use in a pinch. They are little magnets designed to fit the bottom of the socket and are exactly matched to the socket size.

Do a search - I’m on my phone right now but IIRC I got mine from the MAC truck about 15-20 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. I even have a set of the ones Sears sold back in the day. I mean like 1970's old.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 02:48:39 PM »
Sears still has the magnetic inserts. Here are the metric ones.

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-socket-inserts/p-00941350000P?sid=IDx20070921x00003c

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 04:15:56 PM »
Sunex has them and so does gray pneumatic.  I just googled 1/4 drive magnetic sockets and several choices came up.
Scroll down and you will find choices.  This is just the amazon page from my google search

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=1%2F4+inch+drive+magnetic+sockets&gclid=CjwKCAjwyqTqBRAyEiwA8K_4O0XjqXkJVgUO95KY7oA1z-acc0NTEFE

Pretty sure I have the Sunex metric swivels at the house, haven't made it to the store yet

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 06:16:07 PM »
Thank you for all the good ideas.

I do have magnetic impact sockets, I failed to mention that. They are/were too 'thick' for the job I was working on.

The magnetic inserts are a very good idea, I needed 7mm and the inserts start at 10mm.  :(

I'm thinking my best choice will be the Snap-On magnetic extensions.

Thanks again.  ;D
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline geneg

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 05:32:39 AM »
I use the old Craftsman inserts occasionally, but for your under dash work.  Stick 1 or 2 of these to the outside of the socket or the side of the extension.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-rare-earth-magnets-67488.html

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 07:28:45 AM »
I use the old Craftsman inserts occasionally, but for your under dash work.  Stick 1 or 2 of these to the outside of the socket or the side of the extension.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-rare-earth-magnets-67488.html
Good idea. I'm sure I have some around, somewhere.

Funny how my mind gets stuck on an idea for a solution and can't get off a particular track.  :D