Author Topic: One for Muddy, a hydraulic strip down/build fixture  (Read 5874 times)

Offline strik9

• X
One for Muddy, a hydraulic strip down/build fixture
« on: May 30, 2020, 06:04:05 PM »
Way back in the stone age of 2006 we found a steel structure dumped in a field and  put two heavy steel tabs for a pin and feet on it.  Later a support for the rod.

A year later the drip tray and widened the tabs.

And we have broken it but it took 15' of pipe and four 200 lb apes to do it.

You can hold the entire for the gland nut or just the rod to get the piston off.  The square tubes on the foot ate for long tubes and counterweight.  Like another tractor.

Working up off the floor even with an ugly POS like this makes a difference.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 06:09:52 PM by strik9 »

Offline Midnitemack

Re: One for Muddy, a hydraulic strip down/build fixture
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 11:00:42 PM »
It’s a bit like one of my jobs this last week ......

It’s nice to have something solid when you start swinging on things !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 11:20:13 PM »
Bolted gland nut, not screwed in makes that part easy.  How badly ruined is the bore that it needed the extra pull?

I recently did these on an old Cat416 for the boom lift.

Left side a perfect kit fit with just right seal resistance, right side a cluster f of mixed parts from older models making the piston seals a very tight fit.  Not steel on steel but the old seals had to be used.  New wouldn't go in.

I hammered the piston into the bore just enough to cap it up and we used the same hydraulic system to pull it in under power.
Old junk always makes it harder.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 11:22:50 PM by strik9 »

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 11:43:40 PM »
I hear you mate !!!!! Old stuff is always fun , the real bitch on my one was the 2 1/4” nut securing the piston on the rod . Lucky I had a bunch of wrenches cut from 3/4 plate that I acquired at an auction some time ago so I could modify one for the job , had both bucket  rams to do , put the 2nd one back on tomorrow and hope all is well when I run  it !!!!

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 11:51:57 PM »
Strik......The bores inside them was sweet, rod seal was only problem on both of them , have put them back together with all the rest of old seals, old front loader rarely gets used so not with spending much on it .

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 02:48:45 PM »
I don't have a fancy iron maiden, just a big chain vise on steel table. Gets the job done most of the time. The hitch pin works well to break them loose in the field. I'm pretty terrible about using a 30" crescent wrench or a 48" pipe wrench on the big nuts and glands.

Good looking stuff guys!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 02:57:15 PM »
I hear you mate !!!!! Old stuff is always fun , the real bitch on my one was the 2 1/4” nut securing the piston on the rod . Lucky I had a bunch of wrenches cut from 3/4 plate that I acquired at an auction some time ago so I could modify one for the job , had both bucket  rams to do , put the 2nd one back on tomorrow and hope all is well when I run  it !!!!

Yowza!  :-\
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 02:05:20 PM by bonneyman »

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 03:11:12 PM »
I don't have a fancy iron maiden, just a big chain vise on steel table. Gets the job done most of the time. The hitch pin works well to break them loose in the field. I'm pretty terrible about using a 30" crescent wrench or a 48" pipe wrench on the big nuts and glands.

Good looking stuff guys!

Not always gonna be pretty , but just get it done !

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 03:16:20 PM »
Lol!  My boss would have you burned at the stake for using a pipe vise.  The rod is a bearing surface that runs through seals and death to the heretic that damage it in his shop. 

I tend to be a bit lenient for whatever works.
Those things see tons of abuse in use and are tough.
Only because he is so deeply invested into big and costly tools we have the luxury of using a 4' and 1.5" drive breaker bar and custom recut sockets to fit it. 
Not everyone is going to need to cover all the sizes we see.
He and his dad cut hex wrenches from heavy plate decades ago.  We still have them.  All wallhangers now.

Offline muddy

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 08:24:58 PM »
At work we have a solid welding bench with an antique vise that works good most times. Sure would be nice to have dedicated cylinder table we could really crank down on.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 10:16:05 PM »
Ours is 4" square heavy wall tube and probably not adequate ar the drawing table.    Real life has proven otherwise.  A nice 12" I beam about waist level would be more fitting.  You probably wouldn't even need to brace against the apes on the pipes.

If there is a scrap pile there I bet you could whip one up in a day of spare moments.    Get it standi g the next day.

Offline gtermini

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2020, 11:18:35 PM »
Lol!  My boss would have you burned at the stake for using a pipe vise.  The rod is a bearing surface that runs through seals and death to the heretic that damage it in his shop. 

I would never grab the rod in the chain vise. Just the tube, and not anywhere near the gland. I'd burn somebody at the stake too for clamping on the rod. I'd seen the bill from the chrome shop on a rod repair...

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 12:55:37 AM »
We have an old Case 580E in the shop with a bent stabilizer ram.  The rod and gland are ruined.  We have a parts 580superK that may still have a stabilizer hydraulic yet. 
The owner is in the 2nd cycle if repairs without covering the first yet.   
This job is more a reality show of financial drama with some ancient POS in need of a new machine entirely as the star.  So far requests of more details and upselling them have no one reaching for cash yet.

That stabilizer hydraulic can nearly double the bill if we have one.  If not a new rod adds 2 weeks to the shop stay and doubles the bill.  Blank stock plus the machinist's bill are dear.

Offline gtermini

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 10:50:03 AM »
How's the heavy equip wrecker yard selection down there? Does MachieryTrader parts search work?

Seems like case stabilizers have eaten rods since they built the first backhoe. Not much saving on a cyl with a bent rod. I've never seen a barrel come out without nasty gouges from the crooked piston.

I agree (from personal experience) old machines are money pits. Customers with paying problems are much worse than problem machines in my opinion. If you let them do it once, they burn you every chance they can forever after.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 12:49:21 PM »
The shop I am in was a hydraulic repair shop before I moved in.  Had I beam about waist high to cradle the cylinders in and an overhead gantry with hoist to pick them up.  they mainly did trash truck cylinders.  I was shocked at how hard it can be to remove gland nuts.  They had a nice set up but their in shop employee was a pig and the floor is saturated with hydraulic oil.  Never could coat the floor as the oil would cause it to lift over time. 

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2020, 04:56:17 PM »
It was my job to tear it down this morn.    The tube isn't ruined this time but the othet bits need work.

Offline gtermini

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2020, 10:39:36 PM »
I wish round gland nuts weren't a thing. Square, hex, or bolted on like Cat is so much nicer than putting a custom knurl on them with a pipe wrench. The little pin spanner holes are a joke too. It's so easy to break a 1/4 pin off when you;re hanging on the end of a 6ft cheater.

Do you use an air hammer with a pointy bit to peen the barrel before you unscrew the gland? That's the best trick I ever learned for making disassembly a snap. Just peen a row of dots going back the thread length parallel to the bore. Do sever rows around the circumference. They stretch the barrel diameter ever so slightly and loosen the threads up.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2020, 11:08:59 PM »
We have a rather large shop made gland nut wrench for Cat stuff.  I posted it here a while back.  Its monster alone but with the 8' pipe nothing has resisted yet.  Case pinned glands get the 48" pipe wrench or a pin wrench.  No novelty there.  My boss would not allow air hammers on a hydraulic.  No hint of marking them up if possible.  We see near no bolted versions anymore but have a bunch we could sell.  The old machines that used them all got scrapped.

There is a big scrap yard here that buys dead yellow machines to sceap them, they save engines and hydraulic crap but pretty much cut up all the rest fast.  We have 3 dead ones for parts and another shop about six.  We could scrap 90% of what remains and never lose a parts sale.  All the trans and good hydraulic crap is sold long ago, the cummins sold a week ago making the 580K fairly worthless now.

Phil, I lost two gallons of oil today into the dirt.  Our shop floor is richer than oil sands in petroleum.  Its too gard to catch it all and worse when the tray falls.  Its a lousy  and messy job working this junk.  We are all pigs if we do it at all. 
A machine running with a small leak all day will blow a few gallons back to mother earth.  And most machines do leak.

Just that nobody talks about it really.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2020, 11:45:20 PM »
We have a rather large shop made gland nut wrench for Cat stuff.  I posted it here a while back.  Its monster alone but with the 8' pipe nothing has resisted yet.  Case pinned glands get the 48" pipe wrench or a pin wrench.  No novelty there.  My boss would not allow air hammers on a hydraulic.  No hint of marking them up if possible.  We see near no bolted versions anymore but have a bunch we could sell.  The old machines that used them all got scrapped.

There is a big scrap yard here that buys dead yellow machines to sceap them, they save engines and hydraulic crap but pretty much cut up all the rest fast.  We have 3 dead ones for parts and another shop about six.  We could scrap 90% of what remains and never lose a parts sale.  All the trans and good hydraulic crap is sold long ago, the cummins sold a week ago making the 580K fairly worthless now.

Phil, I lost two gallons of oil today into the dirt.  Our shop floor is richer than oil sands in petroleum.  Its too gard to catch it all and worse when the tray falls.  Its a lousy  and messy job working this junk.  We are all pigs if we do it at all. 
A machine running with a small leak all day will blow a few gallons back to mother earth.  And most machines do leak.

Just that nobody talks about it really.

I'll talk. My MF just started leaking from the ram that adjusts the angle of the box scraper. I don't use the side shift on the forklift as that cylinder will puke some oil if I do. Other than that no leaks. :lol_hitting:

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2020, 09:00:00 AM »
All my forklifts over the years have leaked a little.  Never repaired any of them as the leaks weren't bad.  Did replace a seal in my pallet jack as it was leaking badly.

Sooner or later they will all leak :38:

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2020, 10:33:57 AM »
All my forklifts over the years have leaked a little.  Never repaired any of them as the leaks weren't bad.  Did replace a seal in my pallet jack as it was leaking badly.

I forgot about my leaking pallet jack. That is another one on the to do list. :-[

Offline muddy

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2020, 06:42:50 PM »

I know a guy who works on forklifts.....and likes tools

Offline muddy

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2020, 06:45:16 PM »
I go around the barrel where the gland is and smack all the way around with a heavy hammer. Often the only way to get the gland loose

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2020, 09:33:17 PM »
I go around the barrel where the gland is and smack all the way around with a heavy hammer. Often the only way to get the gland loose

Not the only way.  We get longer pipes and more apes to hang on it.  One time we hung a road grader on the end of 15' of pipe  and got the front wheels off the ground before the nut let loose.
That was spectacular coming down.