Author Topic: Makita 9.6v tool score!  (Read 4078 times)

Offline bonneyman

Re: Makita 9.6v tool score!
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 10:40:57 PM »
I've never found the 9.6 volt Makita's underpowered. It was just the life of the newer batteries just sucked.
When I started in AC in the late 80's, I borrowed other guys battery drills and used them. Panasonic was one, maybe B&D, and Makita. Just liked the Makita. The long (but thin) battery and thus the handle let me get into tighter areas that the other drills with the bulge at the base just couldn't reach. Guys used extra long bit extensions but the Makita's just shined.

The circuit board is like half the area of a postage stamp. Affixed directly to the top of the trigger switch. On my trigger the direction switching lever is gone - there's just a hole where it should be. I guess I could try taking the switch apart and figuring out what side is + and - and soldering the motor right to it. I'll see what the parts place says on Monday. If I can get a new switch in less than a week I'll do it. Those switches wear pretty fast being plastic and all. Even if I could get the old switch working it's still old.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2021, 09:24:57 PM »
FINALLY got the replacement trigger switch in Jan 2 (I ordered it Dec 7th! - mail is REALLY being slow), and it was an OEM equivalent - not exact replacement. So, no variable speed as you squeeze the trigger. (Just on and off). Also had to eliminate the overheat thermistor (direct soldered into old switch), so the thing only has the manual reset overamp protection. But got it all back together and popped in a freshly charged battery - it works as advertized.
Then cleaned up the saw, replaced a missing shroud safety spring, and it works too. The remaining two clutch drills will serve for parts for all the other working tools.

If someone can use a keyless chuck in 3/8" let me know - I've got at least 2 or 3 now including the ones on the pictured drills and won't use all of them.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 09:27:20 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2021, 06:23:15 PM »
Picked up a plastic Makita carrying case for $5, and am in the process of converting it from an 18v tool set to store my 9.6v tools. Coming along nicely!